Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    02 Jan '15 14:41 / 1 edit
    As predicted,
    The Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, dramatically moved to join the international criminal court on Wednesday, setting Palestinians on a diplomatic collision course with Israel and Washington, and risking imposition of US sanctions.

    Abbas signed the Rome statute governing the court and 19 other international agreements, potentially opening the way to Palestinians to pursue Israel for war crimes in the court of last resort based in The Hague.
    How fascinating to watch not only that nutter Netanyahu, but also his ally the US, responding with threats to the prospect of the Palestinians committing themselves to international law, including the prospect of action by the International Criminal Court against HAMAS. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/31/palestinian-president-international-criminal-court
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    02 Jan '15 20:12
    Maybe those ancient biblical prophecies were right: the whole world will hate Israel. Only Christians in the U.S. support Israel.
  3. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    02 Jan '15 23:53
    Originally posted by vivify
    Maybe those ancient biblical prophecies were right: the whole world will hate Israel. Only Christians in the U.S. support Israel.
    But US Christians do not support the rule of law and do not seek accountability for war crimes?
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Jan '15 00:58
    Originally posted by finnegan
    But US Christians do not support the rule of law and do not seek accountability for war crimes?
    They believe Israel's actions are the result of self defense against enemies that want to wipe them out, like Hitler did.
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    03 Jan '15 03:35
    Originally posted by vivify
    Maybe those ancient biblical prophecies were right: the whole world will hate Israel. Only Christians in the U.S. support Israel.
    Stop whining. Israel is America's spoiled child. They know all they have to do is yell "anti semitism" and America will drop everything, and give Israel anything it wants. Israel has been playing this race card since the end of WW2, and it still works today.
  6. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Jan '15 14:34
    A) I'm not a Christian, and am neither for nor against Israel.

    B) True or false: the world hates Israel?
  7. 03 Jan '15 14:53
    Originally posted by vivify
    A) I'm not a Christian, and am neither for nor against Israel.

    B) True or false: the world hates Israel?
    "The world" is incapable of having emotions, so B) is trivially false.
  8. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    03 Jan '15 15:06
    Originally posted by vivify
    A) I'm not a Christian, and am neither for nor against Israel.

    B) True or false: the world hates Israel?
    A) Where in the posts above is there any suggestion that you are Christian and why is your personal religious affiliation relevant to what was posted above? Both your post and my response refer to US Christians.

    B) The statement "The World hates Israel" is not capable of being true or false but is a revealing indicator of paranoid and grandiose thinking.

    I would like to think that the world hates injustice and racism but that is not universally so - I am worried about getting a majority for this position. i would like to think of the Holocaust as a dire warning about the dangers of racism and the need for impartial justice, but sadly it seems that for some influential people, it is used instead simply as a warning of what happens to the weak and therefore an admonition to be strong, aggressive and to use every available weapon to secure your own position and destroy those who are weaker.
  9. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    03 Jan '15 15:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    They believe Israel's actions are the result of self defense against enemies that want to wipe them out, like Hitler did.
    They will be happy then to defend their actions in a court of law and to present their evidence to an impartial judge? Or will they rely on violence in defiance of international law - like Hitler did?
  10. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Jan '15 16:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    A) Where in the posts above is there any suggestion that you are Christian and why is your personal religious affiliation relevant to what was posted above? Both your post and my response refer to US Christians.

    B) The statement "The World hates Israel" is not capable of being true or false but is a revealing indicator of paranoid and grandiose thinking ...[text shortened]... and to use every available weapon to secure your own position and destroy those who are weaker.
    A) He said "stop whining" in response to that thing about the bible I posted, as if I took that seriously...like Christians do.

    B) You're being stupid. If I said the world hates the U.S., are you saying you really have no idea what I'd mean by that?
  11. 03 Jan '15 18:58
    Originally posted by bill718 to Vivify
    Stop whining. Israel is America's spoiled child. They know all they have to do is yell "anti semitism" and America will drop everything, and give Israel anything it wants. Israel has been playing this race card since the end of WW2, and it still works today.
    Actually, in the 1956 Suez Crisis, US President Eisenhower stood up to Israel,
    France, and the UK and refused to support or condone their invasion of Egypt.
    President Eisenhower even supported economic sanctions against Israel.

    Since the 1967 war (when Israel seized the West Bank), however, the USA
    has been largely Israel's lapdog. President Johnson preferred to look the other
    way and not retaliate for Israel's attack on the USS Liberty, killing 34 Americans.
    One wonders if President Eisenhower would have responded more decisively.
  12. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    04 Jan '15 11:32
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Actually, in the 1956 Suez Crisis, US President Eisenhower stood up to Israel,
    France, and the UK and refused to support or condone their invasion of Egypt.
    President Eisenhower even supported economic sanctions against Israel.

    Since the 1967 war (when Israel seized the West Bank), however, the USA
    has been largely Israel's lapdog. President Johnson ...[text shortened]... killing 34 Americans.
    One wonders if President Eisenhower would have responded more decisively.
    Against Our Better Judgment: The Hidden History of How the United States Was Used to Create Israel
    by Alison Weir