Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 12:294 edits
    I will now give both points of view from the left and right regarding the consensus that the Paris Accord is an absolute scam.

First from the left and the father of Climate change, James Hansen

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/dec/12/james-hansen-climate-change-paris-talks-fraud

The changes being suggested will do next to nothing to reduce the threat of increasing global warming.

Now from the right.

http://www.livetradingnews.com/paris-accord-climate-change-un-scam-redistribute-wealth-policy-43976.html#.WTAI6v4kuUk

This UN policy is about social engineering, central planning, redistribution of wealth, and empowering bureaucrats. It is all about collectivism and a one world order.

There, that was easy.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 14:40
    What a simplistic world you must live in when each issue has a "left-wing" and a "right-wing" way of looking at it. Have you ever considered trying to think for yourself without worrying whether or not a policy is "left-wing" or "right-wing"?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 16:59
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What a simplistic world you must live in when each issue has a "left-wing" and a "right-wing" way of looking at it. Have you ever considered trying to think for yourself without worrying whether or not a policy is "left-wing" or "right-wing"?
    It's much simpler than that, it's picking whatever scheme gets us your money and takes away your power.

People are all pretty much the same and too damn predictable.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 17:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    It's much simpler than that, it's picking whatever scheme gets us your money and takes away your power.

People are all pretty much the same and too damn predictable.
    Your tiresome and aimless rants, at least, are predictable.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 20:142 edits
    I will now give both points of view from the left and right regarding the consensus that the Paris Accord is an absolute scam.

First from the left and the father of Climate change, James Hansen

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/dec/12/james-hansen-climate-change-paris-talks-fraud

The changes being suggested will do next to nothing to reduc ...[text shortened]... ering bureaucrats. It is all about collectivism and a one world order.

There, that was easy.
    Hey, stupid...

Did you even read the article you linked to?

He says that the goals of the Paris accord are too modest and do not do enough to curb global warming. Is this your argument? No, you think the science is wrong (or more likely that the money expenditure will ruin business), and so you want to throw the baby out with the bath water. The truth is that this is the first time the nations of Earth have agreed to fight climate change together, and so this makes it a logical first step. This is nowhere near 'the end of the road' or 'the last word' on climate change. Much more needs to be done, but you submit this link in such a way because you think he's saying that global warming is a scam.

From the article:
    "One particular paper, released in July, painted a particularly bleak future for just about anyone living near the coast. Hansen and 16 colleagues found that Earth’s huge ice sheets, such as those found in Greenland, are melting faster than expected, meaning that even the 2C warming limit is “highly dangerous”.

"The sea level could soon be up to five meters higher than it is today by the latter part of this century, unless greenhouse gases aren’t radically slashed, the paper states. This would inundate many of the world’s cities, including London, New York, Miami and Shanghai.

“More than half of the world’s cities of the world are at risk,” Hansen says. “If you talk to glaciologists privately they will tell you they are very concerned we are locking in much more significant sea level rises than the ice sheet models are telling us.

“The economic cost of a business as usual approach to emissions is incalculable. It will become questionable whether global governance will break down. You’re talking about hundreds of million of climate refugees from places such as Pakistan and China. We just can’t let that happen. Civilization was set up and developed with a stable, constant coastline.”
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 20:20
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Hey, stupid...

He says that the goals of the Paris accord are too modest and do not do enough to curb global warming. Is this [b]your
    argument? No, you think the science is wrong (or more likely that the money expenditure will ruin business), and so you want to throw the baby out with the ba ...[text shortened]... can’t let that happen. Civilization was set up and developed with a stable, constant coastline.”[/b]
    God will handle it:

A Republican congressman told his constituents on Friday that he isn’t worried about man-made climate change because God will “take care of it.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walberg added, “Why do I believe that? Well, as a Christian, I believe that there is a creator in God who is much bigger than us. And I’m confident that, if there’s a real problem, he can take care of it.”

http://www.salon.com/2017/06/01/michigan-republican-god-can-take-care-of-climate-change-problems/
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 20:33
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    God will handle it:

A Republican congressman told his constituents on Friday that he isn’t worried about man-made climate change because God will “take care of it.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walberg added, “Why do I believe that? Well, as a Christian, I believe tha ...[text shortened]... ttp://www.salon.com/2017/06/01/michigan-republican-god-can-take-care-of-climate-change-problems/
    Yes, I saw that story, and as a liberal Christian, I was nearly as disgusted by it as you presumably are.
  8. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 20:39
    Yes, I saw that story, and as a liberal Christian, I was nearly as disgusted by it as you presumably are.
    Oh, I used to be disgusted,
    And now I try to be amused

YouTube
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 20:591 edit
    Hey, stupid...

He says that the goals of the Paris accord are too modest and do not do enough to curb global warming. Is this [b]your
    argument? No, you think the science is wrong (or more likely that the money expenditure will ruin business), and so you want to throw the baby out with the ba ...[text shortened]... can’t let that happen. Civilization was set up and developed with a stable, constant coastline.”[/b]
    To have any noteworthy effect on carbon emissions, scientists say the world has to make drastic changes in regards to burning fossil fuels.

Politically this is not going to happen, period. All that will happen is increased taxes. Taxes won't save the planet Suzey.

What the left should do is get behind alternative fuels like nuclear energy. Instead, countries like Germany are shutting down their nuclear options. I know of no high ranking official in the DNC who is advocating for more nuclear energy in the US.

Instead, all they do is whine about needing higher taxes and more centralized control internationally over the US.

If the US is such a horrible polluter, the US should be the one to take care of it's own self. To give power to others internationally is insane.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 21:04
    To have any noteworthy effect on carbon emissions, scientists say the world has to make drastic changes in regards to burning fossil fuels.

Politically this is not going to happen, period. All that will happen is increased taxes. Taxes won't save the planet Suzey.

What the left should do is get behind alternative fuels like nuclear energy. Instead, c ...[text shortened]... ld be the one to take care of it's own self. To give power to others internationally is insane.
    A carbon tax would have a "noteworthy effect on carbon emissions" according to James Hansen who you cited in the OP. http://csas.ei.columbia.edu/2016/10/28/carbon-pricing-a-useful-cautionary-tale/

What is politically possible is ultimately up to the People.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 21:32
    God will handle it:

Walberg added, “Why do I believe that? Well, as a Christian, I believe tha ...[text shortened]... ttp://www.salon.com/2017/06/01/michigan-republican-god-can-take-care-of-climate-change-problems/
    Ah, like he took care of all those Jews in Nazi Germany or the Armenian massacre.

Sure. Like this so-called deity stopped the US making an atomic bomb run on Nagasaki.

What a piece of garbage tjat congressman is. Just another sign of the decline of the US. It's not the same country anymore. I guess it never was.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 21:38
    Oh, I used to be disgusted,
    And now I try to be amused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0aAGP3ty_A
    I love that song. Elvis Costello rocks the house. 🙂
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 21:45

What the left should do is get behind alternative fuels like nuclear energy. Instead, c ...[text shortened]... ld be the one to take care of it's own self. To give power to others internationally is insane.
    Even less of a reason to stand around like dead fish and say that if we can't do enough, then we shouldn't do anything at all.

I agree that it's well past time we get serious about what needs to be done, instead of sitting on our hands, but the right is just too afraid this might disrupt the gravy train going to the top 1%.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 21:47
    Originally posted by no1marauder to Suzianne
    God will handle it:

Walberg added, “Why do I believe that? Well, as a Christian, I ...[text shortened]... ttp://www.salon.com/2017/06/01/michigan-republican-god-can-take-care-of-climate-change-problems/
    Does that Republican politician have equal confidence that God will take care of all the
    self-pitying American millionaires who are whining that they pay far too much in taxes?
    Surely, God never would let such 'deserving' millionaires worry about starving to death!
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 21:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Ah, like he took care of all those Jews in Nazi Germany or the Armenian massacre.

Sure. Like this so-called deity stopped the US making an atomic bomb run on Nagasaki.

What a piece of garbage tjat congressman is. Just another sign of the decline of the US. It's not the same country anymore. I guess it never was.
    Settle down, sonhouse. I'm as disgusted by fools like this as you are. Not because I don't think God exists, but because this guy is a weasel just covering up for his enslavement to the gravy train.