Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35958
    02 Feb '17 20:17
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Politicians voting against their country's interests out of political expedience. Nothing new under the Sun, sadly.
    One would expect politicians to be held to a higher standard, because after all, they KNOW what they're voting about, unlike a significant percentage of any voting block of citizens.

    Nice to see, I guess, that it's not just Americans who can be led around by the nose to vote against themselves.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89491
    02 Feb '17 20:17
    Originally posted by phil3000
    A guilt ridden Germany...
    I would never have accepted this description if I had not spent much of 2016 working in Germany. These lovely people are so hamstrung by their unfortunate war history that they are still unable to take a reasonably strong political stance in Europe.
  3. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    02 Feb '17 20:17
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Well today the Bank of England significantly raised the UK's economic growth expectations for 2017 so it kind of looks like you don't know what your talking about.
    Raised from what? Pre brexit levels or post-brexit levels?
    And what did they base their forecasts on?
    And are you expecting to brexit before the end of 2017 anyway?
    Are you sure you know what you are talking about?
  4. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    02 Feb '17 20:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    That 30% CAGr would equate to nearly doubling the UK economic output over that period. Perhaps you don't know what "strongest" means and you are confusing it with "biggest".

    Similarly with your use of "minority" - perhaps you are confusing those who actually bothered to vote in the single most important referendum in U.K. living memory. And those who didn't, but instead specialise in moaning about the outcome. 🙂
    What did you mean by "strongest"? I was looking at GDP per capita. In terms of the standard of living in general (the broadest measure of the health of an economy), the pathway for the U.K. to become the "strongest" is even less realistic (for instance, drastic education and tax reforms would be required). By the way, 30% growth per year over three years equates to more than doubling the size of the economy, which is what would be required to catch up with Luxembourg in terms of the aforementioned measure.

    By "minority" I mean that there are fewer U.K. citizens in favour of leaving the EU than there are against leaving, albeit not by a large margin.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89491
    02 Feb '17 20:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Raised from what? Pre brexit levels or post-brexit levels?
    And what did they base their forecasts on?
    And are you expecting to brexit before the end of 2017 anyway?
    Are you sure you know what you are talking about?
    Would you like me to google it for you?
  6. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    02 Feb '17 20:20
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Haha. Just watch as all the bleating, hand-wringing, liberals eat their words. I predict UK will become the strongest economy in Europe within 3 years, that at least two other major EU members will vote to leave in the same period.
    And I predict that you will have nothing but predictions. Not much different from the people who keep telling us the world will end next year.
    And what are 'liberals' anyway? I did a whole thread on that and every answer was different.
  7. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    02 Feb '17 20:20
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Would you like me to google it for you?
    No. Your have answered my question. You don't know what you are talking about.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89491
    02 Feb '17 20:20
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    By "minority" I mean that there are fewer U.K. citizens in favour of leaving the EU than there are against leaving, albeit not by a large margin.
    We had a bit of a vote on that. You may have noticed.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89491
    02 Feb '17 20:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No. Your have answered my question. You don't know what you are talking about.
    Look it up mate. It's in today's news.
    Jeez.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89491
    02 Feb '17 20:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And I predict that you will have nothing but predictions. Not much different from the people who keep telling us the world will end next year.
    And what are 'liberals' anyway? I did a whole thread on that and every answer was different.
    Oh I see pulling the "Christian" card early huh.
  11. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    02 Feb '17 20:43
    Originally posted by divegeester
    We had a bit of a vote on that. You may have noticed.
    A narrow majority of voters was in favour of leaving the EU in the recent referendum. A narrow majority of U.K. citizens is currently in favour of staying in the EU according to opinion polls.
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    02 Feb '17 20:55
    Originally posted by divegeester
    http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-bill-vote-article-50-legislation-clears-first-hurdle-in-commons-10752426

    Overwhelming 'Ayes' of nearly 5 to 1.

    So Brexit has gone through a referendum, a Supreme Court ruling and now a parliamentary vote giving power to Downing Street to trigger article 50.

    The only conservative to defy his leadership was Ken Cl ...[text shortened]... fle. The EU gravy train is finished, long live a connected Europe of independent nation states.
    The EU gravy train is finished, though UKIP's MEPs continue to take a wage and expenses for some years to come, now long live the English gravy train that is presided over by a cabinet of millionaires. They are doing very well, thanks.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89491
    02 Feb '17 21:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    A narrow majority of voters was in favour of leaving the EU in the recent referendum. A narrow majority of U.K. citizens is currently in favour of staying in the EU according to opinion polls.
    Unfortunately opinion polls don't have a great recent track record 😛
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89491
    02 Feb '17 21:01
    Originally posted by finnegan
    The EU gravy train is finished, though UKIP's MEPs continue to take a wage and expenses for some years to come, now long live the English gravy train that is presided over by a cabinet of millionaires. They are doing very well, thanks.
    Power to the people brother!
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    02 Feb '17 21:04
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Politicians voting against their country's interests out of political expedience. Nothing new under the Sun, sadly.
    I'd call it voting the execute the mandate given to them by a free and fair election of their constituents.
Back to Top