This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Dec '18 05:06
    Women take fewer steps?

I remember a programme on TV in the 80’s and there was a point being made about house-wives (the term already had my mother snarling like a feral badger with rabies) not sporting enough.

And then some or other professor explained that the average home-worker (my mother spat out: “Unpaid &@€&ing slavery!&rdquo😉 walks up and down the stairs 40+ times a day. Often with loads (babies, whisky bottles... this latter may just have been situational... washing baskets, etc.).

And that the problem wasn’t movement, but was dietry.

So, I’m rather interested in why women have stopped walking up and down the bloody stairs.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Dec '18 06:411 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    This depends entirely on when one lives. In my neighborhood women walk far more than men. Most are housewives that walk several miles a day to stay in shape with their friends while their husbands are at work.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '18 08:09
    @shavixmir said
    Women take fewer steps?

I remember a programme on TV in the 80’s and there was a point being made about house-wives (the term already had my mother snarling like a feral badger with rabies) not sporting enough.

And then some or other professor explained that the average home-worker (my mother spat out: “Unpaid &@€&ing slavery!&rdquo😉 walks up and down the stairs 40+ times ...[text shortened]... ietry.

So, I’m rather interested in why women have stopped walking up and down the bloody stairs.
    Don't be dense. I am sure you understand her point.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '18 08:10
    @mchill said
    This depends entirely on when one lives. In my neighborhood women walk far more than men. Most are housewives that walk several miles a day to stay in shape with their friends while their husbands are at work.
    Whooosh. Another one.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Dec '18 08:28
    I am curious what the solution is supposed to be.

Or is this a problem without a solution?

I often wonder this because, as a 34 year old man, I was exposed to many, many talks about consent & respect. So, I do not know what you can really do at this point besides increase the police presence or, dare I say?, revert to a culture where women are chaperoned by men or in groups with one another.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '18 19:39

8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Dec '18 20:11
    @philokalia said
    I am curious what the solution is supposed to be.

Or is this a problem without a solution?

I often wonder this because, as a 34 year old man, I was exposed to many, many talks about consent & respect. So, I do not know what you can really do at this point besides increase the police presence or, dare I say?, revert to a culture where women are chaperoned by men or in groups with one another.
    How about promoting a culture that respects women as co-equal members of society? One that doesn't treat them as second-class citizens? Or prey? Or property? Or is that too much to ask?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '18 21:391 edit

10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 09:08
    Feel unsafe.
    Feel safer.

Meanwhile, the actual statistics say that men are more likely to come to harm on the street, but women keep insisting that they feel unsafe.

Perhaps the solution doesn't always lie in blaming men and demanding that we change your feelings?
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 14:311 edit
    @shallow-blue said
    Meanwhile, the actual statistics say that men are more likely to come to harm on the street
    Can you post a link?
  12. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 22:35
    @suzianne said
    How about promoting a culture that respects women as co-equal members of society? One that doesn't treat them as second-class citizens? Or prey? Or property? Or is that too much to ask?

This sounds fine to me, but looking at the situation in the middle east and asia (are you listening Duchess) it's going to take a bit more than "promoting" to bring this about.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 22:45

14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 22:55
    @suzianne said
    Do you live in a culture that treats women a “prey” or “property” or “second class citizens”? Is this why you find yourself getting sexually assaulted in bars and using your martial arts skills to send these men crashing through countless bar tables as you defend yourself?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 23:111 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree