Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 14:532 edits
    School kid told he can't wear a star wars T shirt because it has a weapon shown on it. Doesn't matter it's not a real weapon, just a sci fi prop. NO, the kid is making a terrorist threat, it seems.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/115957/20151214/star-wars-t-shirt-gets-seventh-grader-in-school-trouble.htm

It doesn't matter it is a movie prop and could only hurt someone if used as a mallet.

It has a cylindrical section and that qualifies it as a weapon.

Well, you better not let someone in class with a picture of a rake then, It could be mistaken for an AK47, right?

All this bullshyte is just proving ISIS is winning. They are accomplishing exactly what they set out to do.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 15:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    School kid told he can't wear a star wars T shirt because it has a weapon shown on it. Doesn't matter it's not a real weapon, just a sci fi prop. NO, the kid is making a terrorist threat, it seems.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/115957/20151214/star-wars-t-shirt-gets-seventh-grader-in-school-trouble.htm

It doesn't matter it is a movie prop and coul ...[text shortened]... llshyte is just proving ISIS is winning. They are accomplishing exactly what they set out to do.
    Islamic kid brings fake bomb to school, OK

Kid with picture of gun on short, not OK.
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 15:47
    "All this bullshyte is just proving ISIS is winning. They are accomplishing exactly what they set out to do." - sonhouse

PC and zero tolerance of so called weapons in schools has nothing to do with ISIS.
    It has everything to do with the Looney Libtards in the U.S.
    This is one small part of their utopian dream in action.
    Get used to it, there is more to come.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 15:55
    It seems to me that you are projecting your own fears of terrorism onto the school. What made you think it had anything whatsoever to do with terrorism?

It doesn't matter it is a movie prop and could only hurt someone if used as a mallet.
    It does matter that it is quite clearly a weapon and is used to kill in the movie.

It has a cylindrical section and that qualifies it as a weapon.
    It is a weapon. Pretending it is not is just plain madness. It may be a fictional weapon, but still a weapon.

All this bullshyte is just proving ISIS is winning. They are accomplishing exactly what they set out to do.
    You clearly prove that with your wild raving about ISIS when it had nothing whatsoever to do with this case.

What is your own opinion on other weapons being portrayed on kids shirts in schools? What rules would you make? If you did make the rules do you think your rules should be enforced in schools? If not then who should make the rules?
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 16:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    Islamic kid brings fake bomb to school, OK

Kid with picture of gun on short, not OK.
    islamic kid brings clock to school, idiots thing it's a bomb. not ok
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 16:31
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Idiots?

I would rather teachers alert authorities of suspected bombs/guns than be fearful of saying anything due to the PC police.

If the neighbor of the jihadists in California were not so scared to alert police, due to the PC police, they would have alerted them to suspicious activity of men coming and going from the house the night before.

The PC police cost lives of American citizens that day.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 16:43
    Idiots?

I would rather teachers alert authorities of suspected bombs/guns than be fearful of saying anything due to the PC police.

If the neighbor of the jihadists in California were not so scared to alert police, due to the PC police, they would have alerted them to suspicious activity of men coming and going from the house the night before.

"I would rather teachers alert authorities of suspected bombs/guns than be fearful of saying anything due to the PC police."
    all while treating the person in question with the respect owed to a suspect, not convicted, citizens. presumption of innocence and all that.

and after the issue has been settled and it was proven to be a false accusation, it really is a sign of idiocy to keep referring of the incident as "kid brings a fake bomb" rather than "kid brings a clock mistaken for a fake bomb by people who have no idea what they are talking about"
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 16:48
    Idiots?

"The PC police cost lives of American citizens that day."
    so your idea is that americans need MORE racial profiling because that is what stops terrorists.

because as we very well know, terrorists will pick the most turbaned, most brown, most bearded, most crazed arab stereotype they can find. it's in their handbook.

they can't wear a red sox cap, they can't shave, they can't carry an "i love trump" t-shirt, nothing that might distract from the fact that they are terrorists.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 16:48
    Well, I think there was more to that story than most folks want to admit. I think he thought it would be a nice joke to bring something like that 'clock' to school. A device he did not actually build but took the innards out of an existing clock and stuffed it into a box that he knew good and well would look like a bomb. Of course it wasn't a bomb, he was some nutcase kid, just one with an overactive sense of humor.

But a kid wearing a T shirt with a starwars image? Come on. That is ridiculous for the school authorities to see ANYTHING into that. It for sure never occurred to the kid he was threatening anyone even with implication but the school authorities took it that way.

And it seems to me that would never have happened say in the year 1970 or 1980 before 9-11.

NOW anything vaguely resembling a weapon, can't show up in school wearing it.

And you think that has nothing to do with the increase in world wide terrorism?

In one school, a FIVE year old was suspended because he made a gun shape with his fingers pointing his hand at a schoolmate.

How many times has anyone here done that as a kid? Now if you point your finger you are making a terrorist threat.

And this has nothing to do with ISIS or Boko Haram?

Or the precursors to those groups?

If not, then where do those fears come from?

Things that come to MY mind are the Norwegian killings of those kids, the Paris attacks, the San Bernardino attacks and the like and now this assshole Trump tying to stop Muslims from even entering the US. All of that totally unrelated? Get serious.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 17:05
    Well, I think there was more to that story than most folks want to admit. I think he thought it would be a nice joke to bring something like that 'clock' to school. A device he did not actually build but took the innards out of an existing clock and stuffed it into a box that he knew good and well would look like a bomb. Of course it wasn't a bomb, he was s ...[text shortened]... ump tying to stop Muslims from even entering the US. All of that totally unrelated? Get serious.
    "Well, I think there was more to that story than most folks want to admit."
    you have 0 evidence of that.

"I think he thought it would be a nice joke to bring something like that 'clock' to school."
    why are you quoting clock? it was a clock

"A device he did not actually build but took the innards out of an existing clock and stuffed it into a box that he knew good and well would look like a bomb"
    he is 14. not a genius 14 year old kid. evidence to that is the fact that it didn't occur to him that it could ever be mistaken for something other than a clock, since he repeatedly said it was a clock, went to the science teacher telling him it's a clock, never ever treating it as anything but a clock.

"But a kid wearing a T shirt with a starwars image?"
    but a kid bringing a clock to school? come on.

"That is ridiculous for the school authorities to see ANYTHING into that."
    yes, just like the kid with the clock.

wait, does the fact that one is arabic looking and another is (assuming) white?

"It for sure never occurred to the kid he was threatening anyone even with implication but the school authorities took it that way."
    but the islamic kid had a nefarious purpose?

"NOW anything vaguely resembling a weapon, can't show up in school wearing it."
    so again, what is the difference between the t-shirt and the clock? aren't both an instance of someone paranoid allowing their own fear to make them lash out at something?

"In one school, a FIVE year old was suspended because he made a gun shape with his fingers pointing his hand at a schoolmate.
    And this has nothing to do with ISIS or Boko Haram?"
    no. nothing. it is just stupidity.

"If not, then where do those fears come from? "
    probably a stupid attempt to rid children of gun culture (the most lazy and useless way)

"Things that come to MY mind are the Norwegian killings of those kids, the Paris attacks, the San Bernardino attacks and the like and now this assshole Trump tying to stop Muslims from even entering the US. All of that totally unrelated? Get serious"
    it wasn't an issue BEFORE these events?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 17:523 edits
    "Well, I think there was more to that story than most folks want to admit."
    you have 0 evidence of that.

"I think he thought it would be a nice joke to bring something like that 'clock' to school."
    why are you quoting clock? it was a clock

"A device he did not actually build but took the innards out of an existing clock and stuffed it into a box ...[text shortened]... ing the US. All of that totally unrelated? Get serious"
    it wasn't an issue BEFORE these events?
    Your best point: who was white and who was not. The little white kid was told to button his coat and that was it. The Muslim kid on the other hand, a federal case literally going up all the way to president Obama. I'm sure THAT went over well with the right wingers.

If it was the white kid making the clock, I'm sure it would have been a different tale.

Wow, kid, nice clock. Did you do that yourself? We have to display that as an object inspiring creativity in our kids!

You are a MUSLIM and you are displaying a WEAPON on your T shirt? Get the Principle, he should be expelled.....

But still, how much of this BS would have happened 30 years ago?
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 20:01
    Your best point: who was white and who was not. The little white kid was told to button his coat and that was it. The Muslim kid on the other hand, a federal case literally going up all the way to president Obama. I'm sure THAT went over well with the right wingers.

If it was the white kid making the clock, I'm sure it would have been a different tale.
    ...[text shortened]... , he should be expelled.....

None of it!
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 20:38
    Not only did you make wild speculations about the boy and his clock (you have zero good reasons to think he deliberately planned a bomb scare) but you are yet to give any evidence for a link between the case in the OP and terrorism.

When I went to school we had to wear uniforms and you could get sent home for not cutting your nails or hair properly or even not combing your hair. And girls could get into major trouble for any form of makeup or jewellery -and there were of course arguments over what was religions and what was mere jewellery.

If home clothes were allowed I am sure there would have been rules about what you could have on them.

I find it interesting that in this instance we have people complaining that the school regulations were too strict, but in another thread where they called in the police, a whole lot of people thought that was just fine.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 21:041 edit

It doesn't matter it is a movie prop and coul ...[text shortened]... llshyte is just proving ISIS is winning. They are accomplishing exactly what they set out to do.
    Surely this has nothing to do with terrorism and everything to do with glamorising guns?

I see nothing wrong with forbidding T-shirts depicting armed gangstaz.
    But then the weapon/character/context all have to be defined.
    Far easier to ban allT-shirts which depict all weaponry.
    Cant see a problem.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 21:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not only did you make wild speculations about the boy and his clock (you have zero good reasons to think he deliberately planned a bomb scare) but you are yet to give any evidence for a link between the case in the OP and terrorism.

When I went to school we had to wear uniforms and you could get sent home for not cutting your nails or hair properly or ...[text shortened]... nother thread where they called in the police, a whole lot of people thought that was just fine.
    What I have heard about requiring uniform school clothes is there is a lot less bullying by students who are obviously better dressed and so bully poor kids who wear hand me down's and such.

My grade school, K-8 was in a Lutheran school but we wore street clothes and not uniforms but I never got bullied for being the poorest student in the school. Literally, my mom worked two jobs, no dad, to keep us in that school for 8 years. We got basically a high school education by grade 8 there though. So my own experience goes against what I just said🙂