Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 05 Feb '18 15:19
    https://squawker.org/culture-wars/justin-trudeau-corrects-woman-saying-mankind-makes-her-say-peoplekind-instead/

According to the enlightened all knowing liberal leader of Canada, the term mankind should no longer be used and instead, "Peoplekind" should be used cuz it's more inclusive.
  2. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    05 Feb '18 16:53
    In the 80’s there was a hoax going around that Manchester should be called Peoplechester.

Looks like that little nightmares coming true....

Eeeeeeeeehhhh...
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    05 Feb '18 20:26
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://squawker.org/culture-wars/justin-trudeau-corrects-woman-saying-mankind-makes-her-say-peoplekind-instead/

According to the enlightened all knowing liberal leader of Canada, the term mankind should no longer be used and instead, "Peoplekind" should be used cuz it's more inclusive.
    People already use humankind when they want to. Trudeau is welcome to do so if he likes.

As an attorney, I will say that personslaughter just doesn't have the same ring to it as manslaughter. But you can ask No1. He does criminal law.
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    05 Feb '18 20:42
    Originally posted by @sh76
    People already use humankind when they want to. Trudeau is welcome to do so if he likes.

As an attorney, I will say that personslaughter just doesn't have the same ring to it as manslaughter. But you can ask No1. He does criminal law.
    With that logic, there should be infantslaughter, or babyslaughter, childslaughter, womanslaughter, girlslaughter, manslaughter. What about animals? Doggyslaughter? Parrotocide? pussyslaughter? Kittyslaughter?
  5. 05 Feb '18 20:46
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    With that logic, there should be infantslaughter, or babyslaughter, childslaughter, womanslaughter, girlslaughter, manslaughter. What about animals? Doggyslaughter? Parrotocide? pussyslaughter? Kittyslaughter?
    this is the world you liberals have created...tried to warn you.
  6. 05 Feb '18 20:58 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @whodey

According to the enlightened all knowing liberal leader of Canada, the term mankind should no longer be used and instead,
    "Peoplekind" should be used cuz it's more inclusive.
    Should the popular American magazine 'People' change its name to 'Men'?

'Humankind' already is in common usage.

"hu·man·kind, noun:
    human beings considered collectively (used as a neutral alternative to “mankind” )."

I would say that it's sexist for a man to tell a woman, particularly when he's sexually harassing her, to 'man up'.
  7. 05 Feb '18 20:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @sh76

I much prefer dims reinventing the English language and just looking stupid in the process.

Personslaughter is perfect!
  8. 05 Feb '18 21:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    In the 80’s there was a hoax going around that Manchester should be called Peoplechester.

Looks like that little nightmares coming true....
    Eeeeeeeeehhhh...
    Imagine the jokes about 'Womanchester'.
  9. 05 Feb '18 21:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse to Sh76
    With that logic, there should be infantslaughter, or babyslaughter, childslaughter, womanslaughter, girlslaughter, manslaughter.
    What about animals? Doggyslaughter? Parrotocide? pussyslaughter? Kittyslaughter?
    It's absurd to attempt to remove the 'man' out of 'woman'. 'Wo is me!' (sarcasm)

The pseudo-feminist term 'herstory' (implying 'history' is sexist) ignores the fact that
    'history' comes from a Greek word rather than meaning just 'his story'.

Using 'manslaughter' is OK. But 'humankind' should be preferred to 'mankind'.
  10. 05 Feb '18 21:09
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    pussyslaughter
    I like it.
  11. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    05 Feb '18 21:13
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    this is the world you liberals have created...tried to warn you.
    Wait till you visit Sweden, where you as a male, have to sit to pee, because of the abject horror of people hearing the tinkle of male stand up urination.
  12. 05 Feb '18 21:36
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat to Sonhouse
    I like it.
    Sounds like a character ('Pussy Galore' ) from a James Bond film.
  13. 05 Feb '18 21:38 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse to Mott-the-Hoopie
    Wait till you visit Sweden, where you as a male, have to sit to pee, because of the abject horror of people hearing the tinkle of male stand up urination.
    "...you as a male, have to sit to pee..."
    --Sonhouse

What do some men find so offensive or demeaning about that?
    Half of humankind routinely does this without feeling demeaned by it.
  14. 05 Feb '18 22:09
    If you let people revise your language, you let them control the very framework of every discussion.

What a terrible sign.
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    05 Feb '18 22:14
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Should the popular American magazine 'People' change its name to 'Men'?

'Humankind' already is in common usage.

"hu·man·kind, noun:
    human beings considered collectively (used as a neutral alternative to “mankind” )."

I would say that it's sexist for a man to tell a woman, particularly when he's sexually harassing her, to 'man up'.
    === I would say that it's sexist for a man to tell a woman, particularly when he's sexually harassing her, to 'man up'. ===

I certainly agree that telling a woman to "man up" is sexist.

The more interesting question is whether telling a man to "man up" is sexist. Does it imply that that he should behave in a manner that's somehow stronger or tougher or better than a woman would be expected to?