Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 May '13 16:22
    Weaker men more likely to support welfare state and wealth redistribution
    Link may reflect psychological traits that evolved in our ancestors
    Strength was a proxy for ability to defend or acquire resources

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2325414/Men-physically-strong-likely-right-wing-political-views.html

This makes sense to me. I know that in my personal interactions with liberal guys, they do seem to be on the pencil neck side of the spectrum.
  2. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    16 May '13 16:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    [b]Weaker men more likely to support welfare state and wealth redistribution

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2325414/Men-physically-strong-likely-right-wing-political-views.html

This makes sense to me. ...[text shortened]... onal interactions with liberal guys, they do seem to be on the pencil neck side of the spectrum.[/b]
    You may be correct. It reminds me of a saying my father used many years ago regarding money and power. "The strong take it from the weak, and the smart take it from the strong!"
  3. 16 May '13 16:37
    Originally posted by bill718
    Interestingly enough, you may be correct. It reminds me of a saying my father used many years ago regarding money and power. "The strong take it from the weak, and the smart take it from the strong!"
    I can see why you'd want to view it that way.
  4. 16 May '13 17:05
    Makes sense I suppose. Pity the article doesn't mention how strong the claimed effect is.
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 May '13 17:23 / 1 edit

This makes sense to me. ...[text shortened]... onal interactions with liberal guys, they do seem to be on the pencil neck side of the spectrum.[/b]
    Most black people are liberal, and dominate nearly every major sport and Olympic event.

So...too bad.
  6. 16 May '13 17:26
    Originally posted by vivify
    Most black people are liberal, and dominate nearly every major sport and Olympic event.

So...too bad.
    So you are saying that the study is false?

You are saying that all black people are liberals? I'd say you are quite a racist.
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 May '13 17:31
    So you are saying that the study is false?

You are saying that all black people are liberals? I'd say you are quite a racist.
    Most black have historically voted for liberal candidates, like Obama and Clinton. That's not "racist", that's historical fact. Thus, it's reasonable to conclude that blacks tend to side with liberal views.

While ad-hominems are common with conservatives, it fails miserably here.
  8. 16 May '13 17:37
    Most black have historically voted for liberal candidates, like Obama and Clinton. That's not "racist", that's historical fact. Thus, it's reasonable to conclude that blacks tend to side with liberal views.

While ad-hominems are common with conservatives, it fails miserably here.
    Have you stopped to think that some black people are conservatives? Among black males, the people who have stronger upper body strength might be more likely to vote conservative?
  9. 16 May '13 18:35

its probably more to do with testosterone and would also explain the rather aggressive nature of right wing males. great for going to war, crap for everything else.
  10. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    16 May '13 18:45

So...too bad.
    Elite male athletes - even the black ones - are overwhelmingly Republican. I used to have access to several professional sports teams, politics frequently came up, and these guys hated the idea of someone taking what they worked for. Sports are the ultimate meritocracy, and locker rooms are hyper-alpha-male environments. Your conjecture doesn't hold up.
  11. 16 May '13 19:02
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Elite male athletes - even the black ones - are overwhelmingly Republican. I used to have access to several professional sports teams, politics frequently came up, and these guys hated the idea of someone taking what they worked for. Sports are the ultimate meritocracy, and locker rooms are hyper-alpha-male environments. Your conjecture doesn't hold up.
    athletes tend to be republicans? that links in nicely with the thread about republican/democrat intellects.
  12. 16 May '13 20:32
    Originally posted by sasquatch672 to vivify
    'Elite male athletes' in the North American major professional leagues
    (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) tend to be very rich (unless they mismanage their
    money). Very rich Americans tend to support the Republican Party,
    whose policies have long favoured the very rich.

'Sports are the ultimate meritocracy.'
    --Sasquatch672

Yes and no. While professional sports executives and managers usually
    want to win, they also have prejudices that are common in their culture
    and they can be influenced by considerations of popularity. Given that
    the NBA's a league dominated by black players, it long has been common
    for NBA teams to retain an 'end-of-the bench' player of marginal ability
    who's white rather than one who's black, in the hope of appealing to
    some white fans who might be turned off if there was an all-black team.
    While Tim Tebow has shown marginal skills to be a starting NFL quarterback,
    his (admittedly polarizing) status as a white evangelical Christian hero
    seems to have given him greater opportunities than warranted by his merit.
    On the other hand, Jeremy Lin has tended to be unfairly downgraded and
    dismissed at every level of his basketball career largely on account of
    prejudice against his race/ethnicity (rather than his Harvard alum status).
    David Stern, the NBA's commissioner, even said nearly as much about it.

The competition to qualify for the US team in the International Mathematical
    Olympiad seems to be about as close to being purely meritocratic as one
    could find in the USA. The students with the highest scores on the
    qualifying mathematical exams are selected to represent the United States.
    The outcomes tend to be politically embarrassing, however, because most
    of the best students come from a group that has very little political power
    or media influence in the USA--a group politically supposed not to excel,
    so their success has not and likely will not be celebrated in the US media.
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 May '13 21:04
    So because they are rich and conservative in only one area, they are conservatives? Hmm....very desperate grasping at straws here.
  14. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 May '13 21:05
    Have you stopped to think that some black people are conservatives? Among black males, the people who have stronger upper body strength might be more likely to vote conservative?
    You'd have to prove they were conservative before they became rich; and, you'd have to show they are currently conservative on areas besides taxation. Otherwise, they aren't conservatives, just greedy people.

Oh wait, never mind.
  15. 16 May '13 22:57
    Oh hell everybody knows that.
    It was obvious back in the 60's.