Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    16 May '18 19:244 edits
    Canadian Tennis player ranked 128th on the women's tennis tour complaining that people don't pay attention to her because she's black. As proof, she says people pay attention to the Canadian white woman tennis player Eugeinia Bouchard because she's white even though eugenia's ranking is currently lower.

Is this true or is the fact people pay attention to Eugenia because she used to be ranked #5 in the world but has fallen recently due to issues. Is it more correct to say people don't pay attention to the black player because she is ranked #128 and not because she is black?

If it's true they don't pay attention to her because she's black then why do people pay attention to TIger Woods even though he's clearly just as crappy as she is?

I suspect people pay attention to TIger and Eugenia, not because of their skin colour but because they did great things in the past and might just have the potential to be great players again.

Or am i racist?

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tennis/2018/05/16/franoise-abanda-says-she-gets-less-attention-than-eugenie-bouchard-because-i-am-black.html
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 May '18 19:462 edits
    Originally posted by @uzless
    Canadian Tennis player ranked 128th on the women's tennis tour complaining that people don't pay attention to her because she's black. As proof, she says people pay attention to the Canadian white woman tennis player Eugeinia Bouchard because she's white even though eugenia's ranking is currently lower.

Is this true or is the fact people pay attention t ...[text shortened]... 05/16/franoise-abanda-says-she-gets-less-attention-than-eugenie-bouchard-because-i-am-black.html
    I think winning more tennis matches would be the best way to get noticed.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    16 May '18 20:091 edit

Is this true or is the fact people pay attention t ...[text shortened]... 05/16/franoise-abanda-says-she-gets-less-attention-than-eugenie-bouchard-because-i-am-black.html
    What about Serena Williams (Almost universally recognized as the greatest female tennis player to have ever lived)?
    She is very noticed. She also happens to be black, but that's irrelevant. She's noticed because she's the best. I play, watch and love tennis and I can honestly say I am very unconcerned with someone seeded 128 in the world unless that is because they were injured (and were previously ranked much higher).
  4. Germany
    Moves
    16 May '18 20:31
    Or am i racist?
    If you weren't, you probably wouldn't care about this particular whiny tennis player.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 May '18 23:30

In a chess context, GM Maurice Ashley's one of the most noticed American chess players.
    ESPN (a mainstream sports network) employed him as a commentator on chess events.

"Ashley is well known as a commentator for high-profile chess events>"
    --Wikipedia

https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2001012

GM Maurice Ashley is rated 2440 FIDE, ranked 1937th in the world and 109th in the USA.

Was his racial appearance any disadvantage in him getting noticed in the USA?
    I suspect that Maurice Ashley's career was helped by being known as the only African American GM,
    even though he's not very strong compared to most other GMs.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    17 May '18 03:13
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    If you weren't, you probably wouldn't care about this particular whiny tennis player.
    Shoot the messenger and ignore the message....classic RHP stupidity.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    17 May '18 06:23
    Shoot the messenger and ignore the message....classic RHP stupidity.
    What's the message?

1. "An irrelevant tennis player whines about an irrelevant thing."

or

2. "Look at what this 'black' person is doing! Aren't we 'whites' so much superior?! We wouldn't do that!"

If 1, it begs the question of why you would bother opening a thread about it.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    17 May '18 06:39
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    In a chess context, GM Maurice Ashley's one of the most noticed American chess players.
    ESPN (a mainstream sports network) employed him as a commentator on chess events.

"Ashley is well known as a commentator for high-profile chess events>"
    --Wikipedia

https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2001012

GM Maurice Ashley is rated 2440 FIDE, rank ...[text shortened]... n as the only African American GM,
    even though he's not very strong compared to most other GMs.
    I've never liked Maurice's commentary - he's always strutting around with the engine analysis and criticizing the games of GMs far superior to him as if the engine's choice of move is obvious and he was the one who came up with it.

He had a tense moment with Magnus over it. https://youtube/Q_hBrSmuRBA
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 May '18 10:50

how about we dispense with the dancing around the tree and get straight to what you are really after: "proof" racism doesn't exist because some black person whines about nonsense.

common, have some balls and say it.
  10. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    17 May '18 11:31
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    how about we dispense with the dancing around the tree and get straight to what you are really after: "proof" racism doesn't exist because some black person whines about nonsense.

A multi-purposed statement:

I enjoy Dereque Kelly's chess tutorials because:

A - He's well-spoken.
    B - He's likable.
    C - He's much better at Chess than I.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    17 May '18 16:021 edit
    What's the message?

1. "An irrelevant tennis player whines about an irrelevant thing."

or

2. "Look at what this 'black' person is doing! Aren't we 'whites' so much superior?! We wouldn't do that!"

If 1, it begs the question of why you would bother opening a thread about it.
    2 does not follow 1...not even close. You are projecting your bias, again, by claiming otherwise.

It's a debates thread, you know, for debates....unless you don't think this topic is debatable and we should just all agree with the tennis player who made the claim....support her even....criticize anyone who possibly questions her claims of racial bias.....perhaps that is YOUR intent.

My intent is to provide balance to people, like you, with obviously unbalanced bias. White superiority has nothing to do with it but by playing that card, you show your inferiority.

😞
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    17 May '18 16:053 edits
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi

Really? *sigh* another waste of keyboard strokes... Go back to the kids table...adults are talking.

Oh Grampy Bobby...where are you??? Come back!!

😞
  13. Germany
    Moves
    17 May '18 16:49
    2 does not follow 1...not even close. You are projecting your bias, again, by claiming otherwise.

It's a debates thread, you know, for debates....unless you don't think this topic is debatable and we should just all agree with the tennis player who made the claim....support her even....criticize anyone who possibly questions her claims of racial bias.... ...[text shortened]... eriority has nothing to do with it but by playing that card, you show your inferiority.

😞
    I didn't claim that 2 "followed" 1. If the shoe fits...
  14. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    17 May '18 16:54

I guess her name isn't Serena Williams. 🙄
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    17 May '18 17:204 edits
    I didn't claim that 2 "followed" 1. If the shoe fits...
    Where is your proof? Here go back all 10 pages and find 1, just 1 of all my post below at the link, that you think says i'm some kind of white racist nutjob. you won't find any. When your done, I expect an apology...although i bet you can't be bothered to actually read to back up your claim. typical rhp poster....

I provide balance and ask that all kinds of racism should end....i'm not one sided like many of you unitards. I call out racism for what it is and constantly say it should be stopped. It's YOU guys that actually argue for racist comments to be ok from black people whereas I'm pretty much the only one saying ALL racist slurs should be stopped.

Good grief.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/board/search.php?authorname=uzless&fromdateYYYY=2018&fromdateMM=04&fromdateDD=17