Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 03 Oct '16 08:33
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaD84DTGULo

    It has John Oliver in it. If you are allergic to him or you can only handle facts if they are delivered by a select list of people (John Olliver not being on that list) don't watch it.
  2. 03 Oct '16 08:42
    One of the issues raised (which i complained about before) is that "Although the FBI does gather some data on fatal shootings, police forces are not obliged to provide it, and only some of them do. "
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36826297


    As the FBI director James Comey complained,
    "People have data about who went to a movie last weekend, or how many books were sold, or how many cases of the flu walked into an emergency room. And I cannot tell you how many people were shot by police in the United States last month, last year, or anything about the demographics. And that's a very bad place to be."
  3. 03 Oct '16 08:49
    One more issue:
    Shootings are being investigated internally by the suspect's colleagues. If there is suspicion of fraud in a bank, you don't assign the guy two desks down from the suspect to lead the investigation
  4. 03 Oct '16 10:25
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaD84DTGULo

    It has John Oliver in it. If you are allergic to him or you can only handle facts if they are delivered by a select list of people (John Olliver not being on that list) don't watch it.
    Let me guess, you want a national police force run by the President.
  5. 03 Oct '16 10:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    Let me guess, you want a national police force run by the President.
    or maybe you can find a real solution to this problem rather than being obtuse and proposing nonsense.


    leaving your exaggeration aside, do you agree or not that policemen using lethal force shouldn't be investigated by their own colleagues?
    do you agree or not that perhaps police forces should report when they kill someone?
    do you agree or not that blacks are treated differently than whites by the police?
    did you watch the video or not?
  6. 03 Oct '16 13:26
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    or maybe you can find a real solution to this problem rather than being obtuse and proposing nonsense.


    leaving your exaggeration aside, do you agree or not that policemen using lethal force shouldn't be investigated by their own colleagues?
    do you agree or not that perhaps police forces should report when they kill someone?
    do you agree or not that blacks are treated differently than whites by the police?
    did you watch the video or not?
    I thought any time a police shooting occurred there was a peer review to see if there was any wrong doing.

    Is this not correct?
  7. 03 Oct '16 16:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    I thought any time a police shooting occurred there was a peer review to see if there was any wrong doing.

    Is this not correct?
    that is the problem. do you think that is impartial?

    if two coworkers are close friends, can you trust one of them to investigate the other of fraud?
    take that even further, two police officers, while not being partners, working in the same precinct must often rely on each other for backup, often trusting each other with their lives. can one of them be objective enough to investigate the other?
  8. 03 Oct '16 16:57
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    that is the problem. do you think that is impartial?

    if two coworkers are close friends, can you trust one of them to investigate the other of fraud?
    take that even further, two police officers, while not being partners, working in the same precinct must often rely on each other for backup, often trusting each other with their lives. can one of them be objective enough to investigate the other?
    We do have an outside agency that investigates shooting, It is called the District Attorney's office and in our country we have a process to decide whether or not to press charges. Unfortunately recently whenever there is a shooting too often there is a called for mob justice -- guilt before investigation -- there are protest -- there is looting -- there are calls for vengeance and not truth seeking.
  9. 03 Oct '16 17:59
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    that is the problem. do you think that is impartial?

    if two coworkers are close friends, can you trust one of them to investigate the other of fraud?
    take that even further, two police officers, while not being partners, working in the same precinct must often rely on each other for backup, often trusting each other with their lives. can one of them be objective enough to investigate the other?
    Do you think that the FBI and DOJ are impartial with Hillary considering that Obama presides over them, or do you think such impartiality only extends to the investigation in question?

    What do you suggest be done about the partiality within the system?
  10. 03 Oct '16 18:55
    Originally posted by quackquack
    We do have an outside agency that investigates shooting, It is called the District Attorney's office and in our country we have a process to decide whether or not to press charges. Unfortunately recently whenever there is a shooting too often there is a called for mob justice -- guilt before investigation -- there are protest -- there is looting -- there are calls for vengeance and not truth seeking.
    " It is called the District Attorney's office "
    and the office has to work together with police officers to bring down criminals. a district attorney relies on policemen to do their job. again, can lack objectivity.

    there should be independent prosecutors that only deal with investigating police officers. there shouldn't be a grand jury deciding whether something goes to trial or not.


    "Unfortunately recently whenever there is a shooting too often there is a called for mob justice"
    trust in the police is so law that people often let their emotions cloud their judgement. an independent investigation into every police shooting would improve that.
  11. 03 Oct '16 18:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    Do you think that the FBI and DOJ are impartial with Hillary considering that Obama presides over them, or do you think such impartiality only extends to the investigation in question?

    What do you suggest be done about the partiality within the system?
    you were doing so well. having a polite, civilized conversation. for a moment i forgot who i am talking to, it almost felt like a real debate.


    then you went and ruined it by being yourself.
  12. 03 Oct '16 21:09
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    you were doing so well. having a polite, civilized conversation. for a moment i forgot who i am talking to, it almost felt like a real debate.


    then you went and ruined it by being yourself.
    It's a valid question. How do you eliminate corruption and bias in the legal realm?

    People are people, whether they are law enforcement or in the legal profession, and all are prone to the same short comings.

    Checks and balances are what made the US once great. How do we restore that again?