Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Apr '18 22:054 edits
    In Canada, of all the people police have shot nationwide the stats are as follows....

48% white
    15% black
    9% indigenous
    7% asian
    remaining % - others

In the US the stats are:

45% white
    21% black
    17% hispanic
    remaining% others

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Apr '18 22:13
    Originally posted by @uzless
    In Canada, of all the people police have shot nationwide the stats are as follows....

48% white
    15% black
    9% indigenous
    7% asian
    remaining % - others

In the US the stats are:

45% white
    21% black
    17% hispanic
    remaining% others
    Link?
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Apr '18 22:18

48% white
    15% black
    9% indigenous
    7% asian
    remaining % - others

In the US the stats are:

45% white
    21% black
    17% hispanic
    remaining% others
    According to these (unsourced) statistics, the 'others' are 21% in Canada and 17% in the USA.
    These are sizable populations lacking more detailed demographics.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Apr '18 22:18
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Link?
    G O O G L E
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Apr '18 22:242 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    According to these (unsourced) statistics, the 'others' are 21% in Canada and 17% in the USA.
    These are sizable populations lacking more detailed demographics.
    really? you want to debate the stats for chinese shootings in the US? or the "unknown category? really? 😞 I posted the relevant and largest single groups.

why bother posting the link...you all never read the links i post anyway. But hey, just for fun...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Apr '18 22:26
    G O O G L E
    Of course you got them from Google. The issue is whether or not what you Googled is worth squat. Hence, a link is needed.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Apr '18 22:28
    really? you want to debate the stats for chinese shootings in the US? or the "unknown category? really? 😞 I posted the relevant and largest single groups.

why bother posting the link...you all never read the links i post anyway. But hey, just for fun...

I was simply noting that it could be helpful to have more detailed demographic data.
    But nothing could prevent the racist troll Uzless from putting more words into my mouth.
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Apr '18 22:561 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    I was simply noting that it could be helpful to have more detailed demographic data.
    But nothing could prevent the racist troll Uzless from putting more words into my mouth.
    ah, so now i'm a racist am i? ha, posting stats is racism is it?

Gezus woman. you want to see a racist...try a mirror.

BTW, I started this and many other threads...a troll is someone who visits those threads and makes insane unhelpful rants...ie you.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Apr '18 23:382 edits
    ah, so now i'm a racist am i? ha, posting stats is racism is it?

Gezus woman. you want to see a racist...try a mirror.

BTW, I started this and many other threads...a troll is someone who visits those threads and makes insane unhelpful rants...ie you.
    The lying troll Uzless attacks a 'strawman'. Uzless already knows why I condemn him as a racist troll.

"Much, but far from all, American support of Israel comes from evangelical Christians.
    I note that the pro-Israeli American Christians at RHP evidently have no empathy for
    Palestinian Christians and prefer to support Israeli Jewish settlers against them."
    --Duchess64

Here's the racist nonsense that the troll Uzless wrote in response in that post:
    "why do you turn EVERYTHING into an anti-white issue?
    I've never met anyone with so much hatred for whites than you. Let it go lady.
    And what makes you think i'm a white person anyway??? You are the assuminginust
    assumer ever to have assumed."

"She [Duchess64] didn't say anything about white people in that post."
    --AThousandYoung (to Uzless)

The facts cannot prevent my hateful trolls from lying and putting words into my mouth to attack me.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    09 Apr '18 01:07

48% white
    15% black
    9% indigenous
    7% asian
    remaining % - others

In the US the stats are:

45% white
    21% black
    17% hispanic
    remaining% others

Couple of points:

In 2015, of all the Blacks killed by police, 14.67% were unarmed, in 2016 we see a significant drop to 7.30% that were unarmed when killed by police, and in 2017, 8.76% of Blacks killed by police were unarmed when killed. Of all the Blacks killed by police, a higher percentage of them are unarmed compared to Whites and Hispanics. While we see a decline from 2015, in 2017 Blacks were still 54% more likely to be unarmed when killed by police compared to Whites.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While lacking data-backed statistical analysis, it is no stretch to imagine that the Black Lives Matters protests contributed to the decline. The impact of protests likely drove police departments (in locales of protest or distant police departments wanting to avoid the same lethal errors) to adopt new policies seek out new training, or more widely distribute less lethal tools like Tasers.

https://thesocietypages.org/toolbox/police-killing-of-blacks/

It seems reasonable to conclude that BLM contributed to a decline in police shootings of unarmed blacks making the movement at least a partial success (though many in the right wing consider it a "terrorist" organization).

I was also struck by the UK figures in your link. While the UK has about 1/5 the population of the US, it only had 6 fatal police shootings. In other words, an individual in the US is more than 30 times more likely to be shot and killed by police then one in the UK. In short:

When we see the videos of these events, what I am seeing is police behaving, seemingly irrationally, … I see two kinds of behaviors, a really gigantic fear response form the police officers involved or a kind of testosterone response where they are exerting their dominance and because it is not being respected and they lash out in one way or another. In that sense, it should never happen. In other high income countries, this never happens. This is a US phenomenon.

https://thesocietypages.org/toolbox/blacks_commit_more_crimes_1/

"Never" is a slight exaggeration but even "very rarely" would essentially make the same point.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 Apr '18 05:541 edit
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Couple of points:

In 2015, of all the Blacks killed by police, 14.67% were unarmed, in 2016 we see a significant drop to 7.30% that were unarmed when killed by police, and in 2017, 8.76% of Blacks killed by police were unarmed when killed.

So you're saying that in 2015 86% of blacks killed by police were armed, in 2016 93% of blacks killed were armed, and in 2017, 91% of blacks killed by police were armed....

You know, if you look at it that way, it doesn't seem like the police are doing too bad of a job as a whole across the entire US. Some RHP posters (we know who you are) insist the police are all a bunch of racists, when clearly these stats, provided by YOU, do not bear that attitude much truth.

Truth matters. Let's respect our institutions folks.
  12. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Apr '18 06:21

What the is ‘other’ though?
    Sort of, like, well we shot him, just don’t know what the hell he was?
  13. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Apr '18 06:22
    So you're saying that in 2015 86% of blacks killed by police were armed, in 2016 93% of blacks killed were armed, and in 2017, 91% of blacks killed by police were armed....

You know, if you look at it that way, it doesn't seem like the police are doing too bad of a job as a whole across the entire US. Some RHP posters (we know who you are) insist the po ...[text shortened]... do not bear that attitude much truth.

No, let’s not respect imposed institutions.

And stop shooting people.
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    09 Apr '18 08:181 edit

You know, if you look at it that way, it doesn't seem like the police are doing too bad of a job as a whole across the entire US. Some RHP posters (we know who you are) insist the po ...[text shortened]... do not bear that attitude much truth.

It seems to be an institutional problem when compared to other countries. Why should the average American be 30 times more likely to be shot by police than the average Briton? And just because someone is armed doesn't justify a shooting; Philando Castile may have been considered to be "armed" when his licensed handgun was in his glove compartment, but his shooting was surely unjustified. "Armed" does not equal "justified to be shot in any and all circumstances".

You have a strange conception of "truth".
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    09 Apr '18 08:24

48% white
    15% black
    9% indigenous
    7% asian
    remaining % - others

In the US the stats are:

45% white
    21% black
    17% hispanic
    remaining% others

In a country with a population about 1/9 the US, Canada has about 25 fatal shootings by police per year. http://theindependent.ca/2015/04/14/stop-the-killing-fatal-police-shootings-in-canada/

So the average American is more than 4 times more likely to be killed by police than the average Canadian.