Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    08 Jul '17 22:52
    If there is one film whose script suggests it was jointly engineered by the Pentagon and Israeli army, it is Wonder Woman.

http://mondoweiss.net/2017/07/military-industrial-complex/

Wonder Woman grapples with the paradoxes of military power every American interventionist and Israeli patriot understands. To save the “beautiful children”, we must sometimes hurry to intervene and kill ruthlessly, even if the other side’s children are the ones who must be sacrificed.

Wonder Woman wants to “function freely”: she must enjoy the right to go wherever her interests take her. She cannot be shackled by borders in her quest for justice. She is there to “help out” others in trouble, even if she alone gets to decide who needs help and what counts as trouble. And she needs “respect”, and is prepared to force others to accord it to her, through her superior strength if need be.

She will face “so much resistance” because others are jealous of her power and her freedoms. They are the evildoers, and they must and will be defeated.

Is it any surprise that in the Hollywood-Pentagon world of Wonder Woman, the values of a female superhero sound exactly like those of the military men who run the West’s wars?
  2. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    09 Jul '17 01:05
    Originally posted by finnegan
    If there is one film whose script suggests it was jointly engineered by the Pentagon and Israeli army, it is Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman grapples with the paradoxes of military power every American interventionist and Israeli patriot understands. To save the “beautiful chi ...[text shortened]... a female superhero sound exactly like those of the military men who run the West’s wars?
    It's no surprise to me. Frankly, this is a better movie than I thought it would be. In looking at the larger picture however, I've noticed it's very difficult to solve any big problem without creating 2-3 more in it's place. Such is the state of our world today.
  3. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    09 Jul '17 04:39
    Originally posted by finnegan

Wonder Woman grapples with the paradoxes of military power every American interventionist and Israeli patriot understands. To save the “beautiful chi ...[text shortened]... a female superhero sound exactly like those of the military men who run the West’s wars?
    You went to see this film finnegan?
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    09 Jul '17 06:26
    I've seen. And it's only redeeming features are female main character and quite a realistic depiction of WW1 battlefields.

As for the rest: pile of garbage.
    I didn't actually notice anything pro-Israeli or US in it. But then again, I was praying for the monstrosity to hurry up and end.
  5. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    09 Jul '17 08:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I've seen. And it's only redeeming features are female main character and quite a realistic depiction of WW1 battlefields.

I didn't actually notice anything pro-Israeli or US in it. But then again, I was praying for the monstrosity to hurry up and end.
    All of the movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe are comic book stories.

As such, the monstrosity is what makes it great.

Not a fan of comic books, are you? No surprise, they are uniquely American.

(Sorry, Wonder Woman is DC Comics. Same argument applies.)
  6. 09 Jul '17 11:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Comic books aren't "uniquely American."
  7. 09 Jul '17 11:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir

I think Fin sees Israel and the US pretty much in everything and everywhere.

They are coming for you Fin.

Mwhahahahaha!!!
  8. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    09 Jul '17 11:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think Fin sees Israel and the US pretty much in everything and everywhere.

They are coming for you Fin.

Mwhahahahaha!!!
    I just don't think this is a finnegan type film, if it isn't then he even sees Israel and the US in things he doesn't see.
  9. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    09 Jul '17 16:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Christ no!
    Only comic I ever enjoyed was Asterix and Obelix.

The whole concept of a super hero winning the day, without a mystical druid or Obi Wan is beyond me.
  10. 09 Jul '17 21:03
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra to Suzianne
    The ethnocentric white American woman Suzianne apparently believes that
    White Feminism (her cherished ideology) represents all feminism or even all women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_feminism

"White feminism is a form of feminism that focus on the struggles of well-off white women while
    failing to address the distinct forms of oppression faced by women of colour and women lacking other privileges."
  11. 09 Jul '17 21:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne to Shavixmir
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Marvel_(Kamala_Khan)

"Kamala Khan is a fictional superheroine appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. ...
    Within the Marvel Universe, Khan is a teenage Pakistani American from Jersey City,
    New Jersey with shapeshifting abilities, who discovers that she has Inhuman genes in
    the aftermath of the "Inhumanity" storyline and assumes the mantle of Ms. Marvel..."
  12. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    10 Jul '17 07:34
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Oh, really?
  13. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    10 Jul '17 07:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    The ethnocentric white American woman Suzianne apparently believes that
    White Feminism (her cherished ideology) represents all feminism or even all women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_feminism

"White feminism is a form of feminism that focus on the struggles of well-off white women while
    failing to address the distinct forms of oppression faced by women of colour and women lacking other privileges."
    Spreading your misinformed bile over me to another thread?

Can't say I'm surprised. Only seven more posts like this to go, I guess.

"Ethnocentric"?? Really, you could have saved two syllables, as well as all the airs you put on by just calling me "racist", but no, maybe you're afraid everyone could see right through that one.
  14. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    10 Jul '17 07:40
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Marvel_(Kamala_Khan)

"Kamala Khan is a fictional superheroine appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. ...
    Within the Marvel Universe, Khan is a teenage Pakistani American from Jersey City,
    New Jersey with shapeshifting abilities, who discovers that she has Inhuman genes in
    the aftermath of the "Inhumanity" storyline and assumes the mantle of Ms. Marvel..."
    Kinda wondering what your point here is, that is, if you have one.
  15. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    10 Jul '17 17:00
    Ohhhhh mud fight!
    Meeeiouw!

This should have been posted in the sexist thread!
    But, damn, I'm a sexist and I'm proud of it!!!
    I'll be back to rant once I've done the dishes.