Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    03 Mar '11 21:03
    How useful is it to consider the Peoples' Republic of China as a Nation-State-Corporation? Does such an entity have an advantage over separate Nation-States and international corporations as we have in the West?
  2. 03 Mar '11 21:10
    Your point is rather unclear, how do you define a "nation-state-corporation"?
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    03 Mar '11 21:23
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Your point is rather unclear, how do you define a "nation-state-corporation"?
    That the leading political class of the PRC act in the world market as a large corporation does; without excessive internal democracy and competition. Financially, one would get funding and jobs from the PRC as one would get it from venture capitalists and corporations like McDonald's.

If you're a cashier at McD's, you don't get to vote on it's policies. Yet in a sense these corporations are as powerful as entire governments pulling money in from all over the planet and contributing to government representatives.

Could we all start paying rent to the PRC for instance? Or perhaps when the venture capitalists refuse funding, the PRC might step in with it's own venture capitalists that serve it's interests as corporate capitalists do for the corporation.

No separation of financial interests from state interests.
  4. 04 Mar '11 17:06
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    That the leading political class of the PRC act in the world market as a large corporation does; without excessive internal democracy and competition. Financially, one would get funding and jobs from the PRC as one would get it from venture capitalists and corporations like McDonald's.

If you're a cashier at McD's, you don't get to vote on it's po ...[text shortened]... sts do for the corporation.

No separation of financial interests from state interests.
    central planning means when you step off a cliff you take everyone else with you.
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    04 Mar '11 17:46
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    central planning means when you step off a cliff you take everyone else with you.
    True that. We are climbing up the cliff Goldman Sachs and the like dragged us off recently. What is the significance of that in today's centralized capitalist world?
  6. 06 Mar '11 03:52 / 1 edit
    True that. We are climbing up the cliff Goldman Sachs and the like dragged us off recently. What is the significance of that in today's centralized capitalist world?
    apparently the statute of limitations has expired for prosecuting Goldman Sachs executives.

i know a girl who went to USC who says "True that" a lot .

is it LA-speak?
  7. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    06 Mar '11 04:09
    apparently the statute of limitations has expired for prosecuting Goldman Sachs executives.

is it LA-speak?
    Like, I think so, blood, like true that.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    06 Mar '11 06:33

is it LA-speak?
    I don't know if it's LA speak.
  9. 06 Mar '11 07:01
    How useful is it to consider the Peoples' Republic of China as a Nation-State-Corporation? Does such an entity have an advantage over separate Nation-States and international corporations as we have in the West?
    How about doing the same for the US government which is largely acting in the interests of large corporations? Lets call it a Cartel-State.
  10. 06 Mar '11 18:06
    Check out the lists of state owned enterprises (SOEs) at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State-owned_Assets_Supervision_and_Administration_Commission

The older of the two lists is in English.
  11. 06 Mar '11 19:14
    does a fish know it's in water? only when it's out of it!
  12. 06 Mar '11 19:16
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=true%20that

1. true that

Ghetto form of true, indeed, yep, I concur, I agree, that's true

Person One: Yo, dis S is da bomb for sheezy

Person Two: True dat!

2. true that

A confirming response, short for 'that is true". Also, a white man's version of 'true dat'.

'Yo, is that babe fine or what?'
    'True that!'

3. true that

1. Used after something said, to show agreeance.
    2. ghetto talk for "ditto"
    3."I agree"

1a." man, that show last night was the bomb"
    2a."true that"
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    06 Mar '11 21:44
    does a fish know it's in water? only when it's out of it!
    Maybe so. I know for certain that "Hella" is NOT L.A. speak! What a ridiculous bit of slang they've got up in north Cali.

South Park episode, probably "bad" words
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s02e15-spookyfish
  14. 07 Mar '11 02:58
    Maybe so. I know for certain that "Hella" is NOT L.A. speak! What a ridiculous bit of slang they've got up in north Cali.

South Park episode, probably "bad" words
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s02e15-spookyfish
    i haven't heard "hella" for a long while. i thought it was Seattle-speak. but appears it comes from Oakland in the 70's.

i guess by the time i got out here only the grungers were still saying it.
  15. 07 Mar '11 03:02
    http://www.slanguage.com/losangeles.html

Welcome to Los Angeles, Mexico.

... (2/3 down the page) ...

Fun Spanish is a breakthrough for learning Spanish

Find your phrase in the left column. Say the fun phrase in the middle column with emphasis on the RED word or object. That's all there is to directions for Fun Spanish. Crank up your computer's volume to really enjoy the sound bytes. Links to more phrases below.