1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 21:30
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Walker
    Perry
    Jindal
    And... I don't know. Not Bush or Huck.
    I don't want to start another thread, so I'll pollute this one. What issues are most important to your choice of a Presidential candidate?

1. Hard line of illegal immigration, no amnesty
    2. Fiscal Conservative, balance the budget
    3. Be willing to talk about downsizing the military, and pulling back foreign adventures.
    4. Really oppose Obama Care
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 22:321 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I'd vote for Huckabee.

I'd probably vote for Trump.
    The debates could easily change my mind. I don't know much about Walker yet. But I need to get a feel of how they feel about closing the Mexican border to the illegals, about strong support of defense and Israel, replacing Obama Care, and about doing things to help true science education and the total economy without cowtailing to the special interest groups, like Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood Political Donations For 2013-2014 Election Cycle

Campaign Finance $31,987,760 Given

Lobbying $12,319,699 Spent

http://influenceexplorer.com/organization/planned-parenthood/a3bf2b2a33a84534a706a2d04c52de95
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 11:50
    Originally posted by sh76
    Anyone (whether you're American or not) care to declare who of the GOP field they'd like to see win the nom (and please don't say "I want to see X because he'll definitely lose the general" - that's not what this thread is about)?

I'll start. Right now, I'm leaning towards:

1. Walker
    2. Kasich
    3. Bush
    4. Anyone but Trump
    You do realize Jeb has raised the most money, right?

They no longer need our approval, just the cash is all they need.
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 01:30
    In other words you are an establishment guy. The kind of guy who makes 6 figures but wants to fleece those who make 1/4 that amount to help pay for your opera tickets.
    With Walker in the Whitehouse it will be closer to 1/8 that amount, nevertheless, it will be very important to remind those who are being fleeced that they are poor because they "choose to be". It's the American way. 😏
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 01:52
    Originally posted by bill718
    With Walker in the Whitehouse it will be closer to 1/8 that amount, nevertheless, it will be very important to remind those who are being fleeced that they are poor because they "choose to be". It's the American way. 😏
    Sure, adding those few extra dollars to the minimum wage should cure all our ills.

Dogs just love licking up the crumbs under the table. 😛
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 01:55
    So you deny making 6 figures? Or do you deny having the government subsidizing your entertainment?

No need to live the life you describe to live a life far easier than the common man.
    I am a "common man" and I make 6 figures because I busted my tail to earn a law school scholarship and to land the job that I did and still do to keep it.

Anyway, in my neck of the woods, and given my family situation, 6 figures means you're barely scraping by.
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 02:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    Sure, adding those few extra dollars to the minimum wage should cure all our ills.

Dogs just love licking up the crumbs under the table. 😛
    No...adding a few dollars to the minimum wage will not "cure all our ills", but it can be the difference between living off one's wages, and having to collect welfare because one's wages are so far below the poverty line, they need public assistance to survive. But you're right...they're just dogs, who cares if they work 40 hrs. a week, and still live in poverty?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 02:43
    No...adding a few dollars to the minimum wage will not "cure all our ills", but it can be the difference between living off one's wages, and having to collect welfare because one's wages are so far below the poverty line, they need public assistance to survive. But you're right...they're just dogs, who cares if they work 40 hrs. a week, and still live in poverty?
    Many are having their hours cut.

It's a part time work force now.
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 02:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    Many are having their hours cut.

It's a part time work force now.
    Shhhhhh...we're not suppose to talk about that! 😲
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 02:59
    Shhhhhh...we're not suppose to talk about that! 😲
    Apparently there are a lot of things on this site I'm not suppose to talk about.

I just ask damned too many questions is the problem
  11. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 03:001 edit
    I am a "common man" and I make 6 figures because I busted my tail to earn a law school scholarship and to land the job that I did and still do to keep it.

Anyway, in my neck of the woods, and given my family situation, 6 figures means you're barely scraping by.
    My father hated lawyers, being contrary by nature, I always admired them, though not just to anger my father (it was just one of the perks!) I admire lawyers because they are bright and articulate. This is a bit off the subject of the GOP field, but may I ask: Would you have accomplished as much in the legal field without your "family situation" and the expectations that no doubt came with it?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 03:03
    My father hated lawyers, being contrary by nature, I always admired them, though not just to anger my father (it was just one of the perks!) I admire lawyers because they are bright and articulate. This is a bit off the subject of the GOP field, but may I ask: Would you have accomplished as much in the legal field without your "family situation" and the expectations that no doubt came with it?
    As the legal council of sh76, I must advise that this question not be answered and to stick to the topic of the thread at hand.

Yea, lawyers are great. 😕
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 14:423 edits
    When I say "family situation" I meant that fact that I have a wife who's a stay at home mom and four kids and I live in a leafy commuting suburb of NYC with almost no violent crime. If I didn't make 6 figures I wouldn't be able to survive (unless I milked the system and got on the government dole, I suppose).

Necessity is the mother of invention.

My jokes about polo and opera and the Hamptons aside, people who think that people making 6 figures are inherently rich don't know much about the costs of raising a family in a big city suburb.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 15:35
    When I say "family situation" I meant that fact that I have a wife who's a stay at home mom and four kids and I live in a leafy commuting suburb of NYC with almost no violent crime. If I didn't make 6 figures I wouldn't be able to survive (unless I milked the system and got on the government dole, I suppose).

Necessity is the mother of invention.

My jokes ...[text shortened]... es are inherently rich don't know much about the costs of raising a family in a big city suburb.
    You know you're in a class-based society when people feel they "need" 6 figures to support a family.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 16:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You know you're in a class-based society when people feel they "need" 6 figures to support a family.
    I don't "feel" it; I know it.

Blame on whatever you like. It is what it is.