1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Nov '17 08:24
    Well... I probably will have to form an opinion about this...

From the article:
    Mother calls for Sleeping Beauty to be banned from primary school as it promotes ‘inappropriate behaviour’

The mother-of-two said she was concerned about the message that the story, where a prince kisses Sleeping Beauty to wake her from her cursed slumber, sent younger children.

My initial reaction was: seriously? You think Sleeping beauty would rather slumber in a cursed sleep, than get snogged by a stranger?

I mean, was it sexual assault or was it administering first aid?

However, true... the princess did not ask for the kiss.

So, like, uh... is this a #metoo far?
    See the pun I slipped in there? I should be a bloody comedian!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/23/mother-calls-sleeping-beauty-banned-primary-school-promotes/
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Nov '17 09:051 edit
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

From the article:
    [i]Mother calls for Sleeping Beauty to be banned from primary school as it promotes ‘inappropriate behaviour’

The mother-of-two said she was concerned about the message that the story, where a prince kisses Sleeping Beauty to wake her from her cursed slumber, sent young ...[text shortened]... www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/23/mother-calls-sleeping-beauty-banned-primary-school-promotes/
    Good grief.

It looks like, in this era of Trump, that there are idiots everywhere.

This is why I say Trump needs to remain in office until we can vote him out. He and others like him are soooooo obvious now, we can now see them coming from across the internet. If we rip Trump out of the Oval Office and put Pence in there, we'd have the same kind of idiot decision-making going on, but without the transparency that Trump's ego provides. We can SEE what Trump and his idiot followers are doing. Pence would be so far under the radar that America might never recover.

All that being said, the story itself provides the answer here. Since it was Prince Charming himself, then SB was not offended and they live H.E.A.**, while if it was, say, Quasimodo, then she'd be repulsed and then we'd have a problem. But hey, IT'S A STORY, and so it has a happy ending.

** Happily Ever After
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Nov '17 20:331 edit

From the article:
    [i]Mother calls for Sleeping Beauty to be banned from primary school as it promotes ‘inappropriate behaviour’

The mother-of-two said she was concerned about the message that the story, where a prince kisses Sleeping Beauty to wake her from her cursed slumber, sent young ...[text shortened]... www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/23/mother-calls-sleeping-beauty-banned-primary-school-promotes/
    You'd also have to ban 80 percent of romance novels, and the entire "bodice ripper" genre.

Here's an excerpt from the insanely popular 50 Shades of Grey:

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/02/lines_from_50_shades_of_grey_t.html

Somehow he moves, I have no idea how, and in the blink of an eye I'm on the bed pinned beneath him, my arms stretched out and held above my head, his free hand clutching my face, and his mouth finds mine."

He bends and starts undoing one of my sneakers. Oh no... no... my feet. No. I've just been running. "No," I protest, trying to kick him off. He stops. "If you struggle, I'll tie your feet too. If you make a noise, Anastasia, I will gag you.

Keep in mind that not only was this written by a woman, but English-speaking women worldwide were in love with 50 Shades. I think it's because despite the protagonist's objections, it's implied she really enjoys what he's doing. That's portrayed by the fact the she does nothing but obsess about him, to the point of having an erotic dream that results in an real-life orgasm.

The above scene can only be acceptable because in such forms of fiction, we know without a doubt that the female character "wants it". 50 Shades is deliberately made with a character who enjoys being ravaged, and goes to lengths to make sure the audience knows it.

The key word here is "fiction". Only in fiction can we be sure of what characters are thinking or feeling. In the world of Sleeping Beauty, the Princess was probably enchanted by the act of the handsome prince waking her with a case. This is conveyed with her subsequent actions, and the character of the Prince, who's supposed to be a dreamboat.

But that is fiction. When it comes to consent, real life is a different matter. As long as the difference between fiction and reality is understood, there should be no issue. It should be a parent's job to make sure children understand that fiction isn't real life, and that actual situations are often handled differently.

Sleeping beauty is not only lovely and classic tale, but it can be a great way to open up dialogue with kids about consent.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 13:21
    Originally posted by @vivify
    You'd also have to ban 80 percent of romance novels, and the entire "bodice ripper" genre.

From Primary Schools?!?!?!?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 15:18

From the article:

Did you see her dress?

She was ask'in for it if you ask me. 😠
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    27 Nov '17 16:16

From the article:

This is where politically correct speech officially jumped the shark.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree