Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber mchillonline
    cryptogram
    10 Nov '16 19:59 / 1 edit
    Like many here, I didn't think Mr. Trump would win this election, but as an Independent voter, I am dismayed by the protests in large cities these last 2 days. I know the protesters are angry, and disgusted by many of Mr. Trump's comments, but it's time for them to follow Mrs. Clinton and President Obama's example, both have been respectful and gracious to Mr. Trump since the election has been over. This childish behavior by the protesters is not going to help their cause. It's time for them to drop the "attitude" accept the outcome, and move on. There will always be another election.
  2. 10 Nov '16 20:26
    The kind of sad thing is that the protesters are angry, but they can't really explain what they are angry about or why - kind of like Trump voters. And until they understand the root of the problem, which is not Trump (who's a symptom rather than a cause), the root cause of their anger is not going away.
  3. 10 Nov '16 20:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by mchill
    Like many here, I didn't think Mr. Trump would win this election, but as an Independent voter, I am dismayed by the protests in large cities these last 2 days. I know the protesters are angry, and disgusted by many of Mr. Trump's comments, but it's time for them to follow Mrs. Clinton and President Obama's example, both have been respectful and gracious to M ...[text shortened]... m to drop the "attitude" accept the outcome, and move on. There will always be another election.
    "I am dismayed by the protests in large cities these last 2 days."
    --Mchill

As a white man, Mchill seems more angry at non-white protesters than at racism or sexism.

It seems to me that Donald Trump already has made it clear that many people who are
    in the USA should *not* be allowed to live there and have full rights of citizenship.

"There will always be another election."
    --Mchill

If Donald Trump keeps his campaign promises, then many non-white people now in
    the USA will *not* be around in the USA by that time.

Should all Germans have respectfully and quietly accepted Hitler as their lawful leader in 1934?
  4. 10 Nov '16 20:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra to Mchill
    The kind of sad thing is that the protesters are angry, but they can't really explain what they are angry about or why - kind of like Trump voters. And until they understand the root of the problem, which is not Trump (who's a symptom rather than a cause), the root cause of their anger is not going away.
    "...they can't really explain what they are angry about or why..."
    --KazetNagorra

That's an absurdly condescending attitude toward all protesters against Donald Trump.
    Some protesters have said that they object to the USA being led by a pathological liar
    who's an extreme overt racist and sexist. Some protesters have said that they are afraid
    of what will happen to their non-white loved ones when Donald Trump becomes US President.

I would add that some protesters are as well-educated as KazetNagorra.
    I know at least one (retired) professor (a white woman, PhD in English) who protested.

"...until they understand the root of the problem."
    --KazetNagorra

I would submit that non-white people who have experienced a lifetime of racism in the USA
    tend to understand American racism better than a European who never has experienced it.
  5. 10 Nov '16 20:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "...they can't really explain what they are angry about or why..."
    --KazetNagorra

That's an absurdly condescending attitude toward all protesters against Donald Trump.
    Some protesters have said that they object to the USA being led by a pathological liar
    who's an extreme overt racist and sexist. Some protesters have said that they are afraid
    of w ...[text shortened]... the USA
    tend to understand American racism better than a European who never has experienced it.
    America got its independence in 1776 and has never implemented universal suffrage. With universal suffrage - without the current poll tax - Donald Trump would never have been elected. Where were all these protests demanding universal suffrage which other democracies have had for over a hundred years? Where was this, most basic of foundations of a modern democracy, in all of political debate? Americans were too busy not realizing how far they are behind well-functioning democracies and believing in American exceptionalism that they kept blaming the train tracks instead of getting off the rails.

Even American academics that I have spoken to are often unaware just how far the Nordic countries are ahead of the United States in terms of the standard of living, the quality of governance and the functioning of government, etc.
  6. 10 Nov '16 20:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    America got its independence in 1776 and has never implemented universal suffrage. With universal suffrage - without the current poll tax - Donald Trump would never have been elected. Where were all these protests demanding universal suffrage which other democracies have had for over a hundred years? Where was this, most basic of foundations of a modern ...[text shortened]... merican exceptionalism that they kept blaming the train tracks instead of getting off the rails.
    Actually, I know many Americans who believe the electoral college should be abolished.
    About all the well-educated Americans of my acquaintance believe it's an anachronism.
    But it's extremely difficult to make major changes within the conservative US political system.

I note that the Equal Rights Amendment (for women) enjoyed much popular support, but
    it never was ratified and never became a part of the US Constitution because there were
    just enough reactionary (typically religious) sexists in some states to block its ratification.
    There was some inflammatory propaganda to the effect that if the ERA passed, then it
    would instantly result in girls being sexually assaulted in unisex school bathrooms or in
    physically fragile women being conscripted and compelled to fight in the front line.

I doubt that you would find anyone (except perhaps for Finnegan on some issues)
    at RHP who's more critical than I am of the United States.
  7. 10 Nov '16 21:03
    Kazet, I cant believe you actually said that. Good job for once you sock puppet.
  8. Subscriber mchillonline
    cryptogram
    10 Nov '16 21:04 / 1 edit
    "I am dismayed by the protests in large cities these last 2 days."
    --Mchill

As a white man, Mchill seems more angry at non-white protesters than at racism or sexism.

It seems to me that Donald Trump already has made it clear that many people who are
    in the USA should *not* be allowed to live there and have full rights of citizenship.

"There wil ...[text shortened]... Should all Germans have respectfully and quietly accepted Hitler as their lawful leader in 1934?

Now Duchess can read my mind, and knows what I'm thinking. It's amazing what powers this person has. I bow to your superiority, O Great one!
  9. 10 Nov '16 21:24
    Actually, I know many Americans who believe the electoral college should be abolished.
    About all the well-educated Americans of my acquaintance believe it's an anachronism.
    But it's extremely difficult to make major changes within the conservative US political system.

I note that the Equal Rights Amendment (for women) enjoyed much popular support, but ...[text shortened]... erhaps for Finnegan on some issues)
    at RHP who's more critical than I am of the United States.
    I am aware that some Americans favour small adjustments to the system.

The American style of democracy is horribly broken and needs to be shaken up radically. The 26% or so of American eligible voters who voted Trump recognize this. Their answer - Trump - is flawed, and is going to leave them disappointed as he will not deliver on his promises (and his KKK supporters will probably also end up being disappointed as Trump probably isn't going to gas the Jews) - but they see the system does not work for them.

In Italy, where Silvio Berlusconi (who is remarkably similar to Trump in many ways except maybe that Berlusconi was a self-made man) was elected into power, they recognized the same problem. I'm not thoroughly impressed with their reforms, but they see that something had to be done. America should realize the same. Don't be angry at Trump and his voters. Be angry at yourself for empowering them.
  10. 10 Nov '16 21:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by mchill

Now Duchess can read my mind, and knows what I'm thinking. It's amazing what powers this person has. I bow to your superiority, O Great one!
    Mchill has a long record of making racist troll posts, which I already have cited elsewhere.
    It's absurdly dishonest for Mchill to pretend that he appears here as a complete innocent
    *without* any record of racist comments.
  11. 10 Nov '16 21:33
    I am aware that some Americans favour small adjustments to the system.

The American style of democracy is horribly broken and needs to be shaken up radically. The 26% or so of American eligible voters who voted Trump recognize this. Their answer - Trump - is flawed, and is going to leave them disappointed as he will not deliver on his promises (and h ...[text shortened]... lize the same. Don't be angry at Trump and his voters. Be angry at yourself for empowering them.
    I support much more radical change than even Bernie Sanders was willing to proclaim.

"...his [Donald Trump's] KKK supporters will probably also end up disappointed as
    Trump probably isn't going to the gas the Jews."
    --KazetNagorra

I doubt that Donald Trump's supporters expect him to commit genocide against Jews.
    Muslims are a much more likely and a popular target. I hardly would be surprised if
    Donald Trump attempts to ban Muslims from entering the USA, increase Muslims
    being deported from the USA, and restrict the legal rights of Muslims in the USA.

For whatever it's worth, some people in California (a largely non-white state that voted
    overwhelmingly against Donald Trump) have begun talking of seceding from the USA.
  12. 10 Nov '16 23:10 / 1 edit
    I support much more radical change than even Bernie Sanders was willing to proclaim.

"...his [Donald Trump's] KKK supporters will probably also end up disappointed as
    Trump probably isn't going to the gas the Jews."
    --KazetNagorra

I doubt that Donald Trump's supporters expect him to commit genocide against Jews.
    Muslims are a much more likely and ...[text shortened]... te that voted
    overwhelmingly against Donald Trump) have begun talking of seceding from the USA.
    We can only hope the Californians are successful in that. Obama ran the economy so far into the groung that some of the illegal aliens went packing home to Mexico. One helluva legacy!!
  13. 10 Nov '16 23:20
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    We can only hope the Californians are successful in that. Obama ran the economy so far
    into the groung that some of the illegal aliens went packing home to Mexico. One helluva legacy!!
    It would be funny to see Hollywood films being considered 'foreign films' in the USA outside California.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    10 Nov '16 23:39
    America got its independence in 1776 and has never implemented universal suffrage. With universal suffrage - without the current poll tax - Donald Trump would never have been elected. Where were all these protests demanding universal suffrage which other democracies have had for over a hundred years? Where was this, most basic of foundations of a modern ...[text shortened]... rms of the standard of living, the quality of governance and the functioning of government, etc.
    I'm puzzled; in what way do other countries currently have "universal suffrage" in a way the US does not?
  15. Subscriber joe shmo
    Strange Egg
    10 Nov '16 23:45
    Watch this video and tell me again and again how intellectually superior the democratic electorate is...

http://www.infowars.com/shock-video-black-mob-viciously-beats-white-trump-voter/

And if you can, please find a video of a Trump mob beating a black man for voting for Hillary. Should you suceed I will tell you they are a@#holes too.