Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 18:22
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/9/osu-group-says-abdul-razak-ali-artan-wrongly-kille/

How can anyone in their right mind say that this lad was wrongly killed? He was actively trying to kill people with a knife after running them down with a car.

Dims have really gone insane.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 18:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    How can anyone in their right mind say that this lad was wrongly killed? He was actively trying to kill people with a knife after running them down with a car.

1. Was he a direct threat to anyone at the time he was shot?
    2. If a murderer is found 10 years after he committed murder, do the cops have the right to shoot him on sight?

There are clearly some subtleties to instant justice that you are missing.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 18:322 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    1. Was he a direct threat to anyone at the time he was shot?
    2. If a murderer is found 10 years after he committed murder, do the cops have the right to shoot him on sight?

There are clearly some subtleties to instant justice that you are missing.
    You have someone who had just run over a bunch of people with a knife in his hand slashing people

You are a police officer with a gun in your hand. What do you do?

1. Point the gun and tell him to drop the weapon, hoping he does not press a trigger and blow everyone up in the vicinity.
    2. Pull the trigger.
    3. Begin to protest about a xenophobic America that drove him to kill.

It really was a trick question cuz there is only one answer. And no, the answer is not #3.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 21:26
    You have someone who had just run over a bunch of people with a knife in his hand slashing people

You are a police officer with a gun in your hand. What do you do?

1. Point the gun and tell him to drop the weapon, hoping he does not press a trigger and blow everyone up in the vicinity.
    2. Pull the trigger.
    3. Begin to protest about a xenophobic Am ...[text shortened]... .

It really was a trick question cuz there is only one answer. And no, the answer is not #3.
    I note that you have, as usual failed to address my point, failed to have a reasonable discussion and instead descended into your usual sarcasm which indicates you know you are wrong but not willing to admit it. Oh well.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 21:341 edit
    I note that you have, as usual failed to address my point, failed to have a reasonable discussion and instead descended into your usual sarcasm which indicates you know you are wrong but not willing to admit it. Oh well.
    According to wikipedia: "As people rushed in to help the injured,[18] the assailant got out of the car, armed with a butcher knife, "let out a war cry" according to one witness, and began attacking students.[15][19] One student described a man with a knife, "chasing people around trying to attack them."[1] Another witness recounted that the attacker did not say anything as he stabbed people.[17] At one point, Anderson Payne, a U.S. Army veteran who was helping people struck by the Honda Civic, grabbed the attacker's knife and ducked under his arm in order to escape, but was unable to disarm him and had his hand slashed in the process.[18] A student injured during the attack described seeing people screaming and fleeing before she encountered the assailant, who said "I'm going to kill you" and then slashed her left arm.[19] The attacker was shot and killed by police within two minutes of the attack starting.[2]"

It seems that he person with a butcher knife in their hands who let out a war cry, two minutes after they intentionally ran over a group of people is an immediate danger but if you wish to argue otherwise I'm sure there will be someone who agrees with you.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 21:481 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It seems that he person with a butcher knife in their hands who let out a war cry, two minutes after they intentionally ran over a group of people is an immediate danger but if you wish to argue otherwise I'm sure there will be someone who agrees with you.
    If someone was clearly in immediate danger at the time he was shot, then I do not have serious objections. I personally support having a police force that is not armed with guns.
    What I seriously object to is summary executions which is what whodey appears to support but is not willing to discuss sensibly.
    Whodey also seems to be suggesting there was a danger of the person having a bomb or something ie whodey does not believe that the person in question was a direct threat because of his knife or other actions but rather because whodey sees Islamic terrorists with suicide bombs in every person he finds threatening.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 21:54
    Interesting to note from Wikipedia that one person was shot in the foot by the police.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 21:59
    If someone was clearly in immediate danger at the time he was shot, then I do not have serious objections. I personally support having a police force that is not armed with guns.
    What I seriously object to is summary executions which is what whodey appears to support but is not willing to discuss sensibly.
    Whodey also seems to be suggesting there was a ...[text shortened]... because whodey sees Islamic terrorists with suicide bombs in every person he finds threatening.
    This person was an Islamic terrorist who had killed and injured many people and was in the process of trying to kill and injure many other. Whodey is right -- protests of swift actions that save lives should be commended, not protested.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 22:06
    This person was an Islamic terrorist who had killed and injured many people and was in the process of trying to kill and injure many other. Whodey is right -- protests of swift actions that save lives should be commended, not protested.
    Once they start killing game over.

There is only one response.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 22:13
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/9/osu-group-says-abdul-razak-ali-artan-wrongly-kille/

This is idiotic. This could've turned into a mass killing if he wasn't shot. I feel no pity for the terrorist.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 22:26
    To be accurate, he hadn't killed anyone (never mind "many people"😉 though not for lack of trying. The shooting appears justified under the circumstances.

It is no surprise that the right wing blogosphere and propaganda outlets like the Moonie owned Washington Times would make the sentiments of a tiny fraction of those at the OSU campus into another "scandal".
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 22:273 edits
    Originally posted by quackquack to Twhitehead
    This person was an Islamic terrorist who had killed and injured many people and was in the process of trying to kill and injure many other.
    Whodey is right -- protests of swift actions that save lives should be commended, not protested.
    Baruch Goldstein was an Israeli Jewish terrorist (born in the USA) who murdered 29 Palestinians in a mosque.

Israeli soldiers could have shot and killed Baruch Goldstein, thus saving Palestinian lives.
    They did not shoot him because they said later that they had orders to shoot only to
    protect Jews from Palestinians, not Palestinians from Jews. So their apparent 'plan'
    was to wait for Baruch Goldstein to run out of ammo and then ask him (politely) to surrender.
    Reportedly, Israeli soldiers did shoot some Palestinians fleeing from Baruch Goldstein.

I already know that many anti-Arab racists or anti-Muslim bigots here approve of all Israeli violence against Palestinians.
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 22:41
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Baruch Goldstein was an Israeli Jewish terrorist (born in the USA) who murdered 29 Palestinians in a mosque.

Israeli soldiers could have shot and killed Baruch Goldstein, thus saving Palestinian lives.
    They did not shoot him because they said later that they had orders to shoot only to
    protect Jews from Palestinians, not Palestinians from Jews. So ...[text shortened]... render.
    Reportedly, Israeli soldiers did shoot some Palestinians fleeing from Baruch Goldstein.
    Everyone should be against shooting people. So if your point is that you found an event which occurred 22 years ago in which a Muslims were victims of terrorism, then I condemn the attack. It does seem thought, that if Americans are going to be the victim of an an attack by a fundamentalists that the perpetrator not the victim will be Muslim.

All of this however, has nothing to do with protesting the justifiable killing of this terrorist.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Dec '16 09:49
    This person was an Islamic terrorist who had killed and injured many people and was in the process of trying to kill and injure many other.
    The policeman who shot him knew he was an Islamic terrorist within two minutes of the start of the events?
    Seriously?

Whodey is right -- protests of swift actions that save lives should be commended, not protested.
    That sentence doesn't quite add up.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '16 10:12
    Why did he do it?