would you attend?
    Senator Cindy Hyde Smith would
    Who are we executing?
  3. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 18:43
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Who are we executing?
    Should be a good one this afternoon... local boy.
  4. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 19:03
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Who are we executing?
    some misfit
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 19:36
    @lemondrop said
    some misfit
    😲
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 23:114 edits
    @lemondrop said
    would you attend?
    Just to catch y'all up to speed with what happened.

https://www.bayoubrief.com/2018/11/13/cindy-hyde-smith-was-not-telling-a-joke/

She can be heard here, despite the train horn in the background, saying, “If he invited me to a public hanging, I’d be on the front row.” The reason this is a clip and not a more lengthy video is because there were children up there with her before the comment.

She says this IN MISSISSIPPI, a state with a disgusting history of lynchings of black people, as she runs for Congress against a BLACK MAN.

Google, Inc. also donated $5000 to her campaign AFTER the comment.

She's also on tape saying that she thinks voter suppression is "a great idea."

Mike Espy, her opponent in the election, now anticipating a run-off election, was not pleased.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/20/us/politics/mississippi-senate-runoff-debate.html

The Mississippi run-off election for the US Senate is November 27th.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 01:08
    @Suzianne
    It appears not to matter, since she was pandering to her huge base.
    She also made sure her kids were in a segregated school.
    Racist? Nah......
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 01:33
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Who are we executing?
    me. would you go?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 01:33
    @lemondrop said
    would you attend?
    no.... not unless it was Braveheart 🙂
  10. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 05:20
    @lemondrop said
    would you attend?
    I would consider it.

I believe in capital punishment, and I believe that it is immoral to make anyone do something that you are personally unwilling to do.

And so if I am willing to have people executed in my society... I am tacitly saying that I approve of executions, and that I am willing to do one, and if I am saying that, I can understand how the process of taking a life is so serious of an issue that I should be willing to watch it and face the reality of it.

I guess, for those reasons, I am willing, and I would even feel an obligation.

And, of course, I am open to the idea of being moved by the process, and if I felt such a move internally, sure, I'd oppose the death penalty all together.

For similar reasons, I have fished and hunted and killed animals to eat them.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 06:142 edits
    @philokalia said
    I would consider it.

I believe in capital punishment, and I believe that it is immoral to make anyone do something that you are personally unwilling to do.

And so if I am willing to have people executed in my society... I am tacitly saying that I approve of executions, and that I am willing to do one, and if I am saying that, I can understand how the process of tak ...[text shortened]... alty all together.

For similar reasons, I have fished and hunted and killed animals to eat them.
    In Mississippi, "public hanging" has two different connotations: judicial and extra-judicial public hangings. Only the judicial ones come under the rubric of capital punishment; extra-judicial ones are commonly called lynchings. The unfortunate thing about the comment captured on video is, we're not quite sure which sort of public hanging was being referred to. H-S would have been wise to have clarified that immediately after the story broke, if the former.
  12. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 06:36
    @moonbus said
    In Mississippi, "public hanging" has two different connotations: judicial and extra-judicial public hangings. Only the judicial ones come under the rubric of capital punishment; extra-judicial ones are commonly called lynchings. The unfortunate thing about the comment captured on video is, we're not quite sure which sort of public hanging was being referred to. H-S would have been wise to have clarified that immediately after the story broke, if the former.
    I believe that she knew her intended audience.
    She was a generation too late in getting away with such a statement.
  13. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 07:10
    I do not know enough about the person to believe that they had negative intentions so I am going to just accept their explanation of the events.

I have a track record of doing this -- you may recall a thread about a Hillary Clinton remark (something about 'they all look the same' re: black people) that was being demonized but which I regarded as an innocent joke. I hope to have more occasions on the forum to demonstrate my consistency in this because I am sure it looks simply convenient for me to say this is the case.

I'll understand if people are unhappy with that but I honestly think this just has to be the scenario. Give people the benefit of the doubt unless they truly are far, far beyond it.

And forgive everyone.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 10:04
    @wolfe63 said
    I believe that she knew her intended audience.
    She was a generation too late in getting away with such a statement.
    For anyone who has lived in the South (I was born in Texas, BTW), the double meaning is there, implicitly.
  15. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 10:58
    @moonbus said
    For anyone who has lived in the South (I was born in Texas, BTW), the double meaning is there, implicitly.
    Exactly.