Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 16:45
    This is happening in the UK:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-43356769

Letters encouraging recipients to take part in "Punish a Muslim Day" have reportedly been sent to addresses across the country.

Images of the A4 notes, which contain a list of violent acts alongside a number of points for performing them, have been widely shared online.

They have prompted a chorus of condemnation, with campaigners and MPs describing them as "disturbing".

Counter-terrorism police are treating the letters as a possible hate crime.

'Fear in the community'
    Tell Mama UK, which monitors anti-Muslim activity, said it had received reports of people in Bradford, Leicester, London, Cardiff and Sheffield getting the letters.

Director Iman Atta said: "This has caused quite a lot of fear within the community.

"They are asking if they are safe, if their children are safe to play outdoors.

"We have told them to keep calm and to phone the police if they receive one of these letters."

She said a number of the letters had been posted from Sheffield and bore a similarity to letters sent to mosques in the UK and US in May 2017, which were also posted from Sheffield.

"They are inciting violence against the Muslim community," she said.

Labour MP Naz Shah said several of her constituents in Bradford had received the "hate mail" through their doors.

Ms Shah said the letters were an attempt to instil fear but one that would ultimately fail.

"We stand shoulder by shoulder, and stand side by side, because nothing will divide us," she said.

"This is hatred and it just doesn't work. You know, it's what we do."

She said she had spoken to police, and had been told detectives believed they were dealing with a "linked series of offences".

Counter Terrorism Policing North East said it had received reports of "potentially malicious communications sent to individuals across the UK".

West Yorkshire Police said it had received six reports while South Yorkshire Police said it had received three.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said it had received two reports of letters being sent to people, one in east London and the other in the SW4 area.
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 20:16
    A possible hate crime???
    Possibly?

Hahahaha
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 01:29
    This is why Philokalia's thread claiming random offensive acts against Muslims was just an "experiment" is pure crap. That Lauren Southern chick's stunt was done in a climate that already hates Muslims, unlike if she did the same against Christians.
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 02:26
    Originally posted by @vivify
    This is why Philokalia's thread claiming random offensive acts against Muslims was just an "experiment" is pure crap. That Lauren Southern chick's stunt was done in a climate that already hates Muslims, unlike if she did the same against Christians.
    Lauren Southern overtly and clearly incited violence against Muslims?

Do you have some proof of that?
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 02:45
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    Lauren Southern overtly and clearly incited violence against Muslims?

Do you have some proof of that?
    Where in my two-sentence post did I say what you claimed?
  6. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 03:12
    So she obviously didn't.

And was unjustly banned.

Correct?
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 03:22
    You didn't , the claim was that the letters in the BBC opinion piece were inciting violence, I was trying to understand your linking Southern with them. If there is no link, well, we'll put it down to vivify's artistic license.
  8. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 04:27
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    So she obviously didn't.

And was unjustly banned.

Correct?
    She wasn't unjustly banned.
    She should be banned for existing with her retarded FFing opinions.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 04:28
    If there is no link, well, we'll put it down to vivify's artistic license.{sic}
    Oh dear. Education let you down again.

License is a verb in UK English, licence is the noun which you should have used.
    As a Kiwi you should be using UK English.
  10. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 04:30
    You didn't , the claim was that the letters in the BBC opinion piece were inciting violence, I was trying to understand your linking Southern with them. If there is no link, well, we'll put it down to vivify's artistic license.
    If you go to your trailer park (or any other right-wing American's trailer park... oh, you say you're not US trailer-trash, I know... but if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck...) and start claiming that besides shagging their sisters and wife beating... the hillbillies are all gay... you will be inciting violence.

Now, stop being stupid and go back to rimming your daughter... or whatever the hell else you do down on the bloody farm.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 04:331 edit
    So she obviously didn't.

And was unjustly banned.

Correct?
    Doing your utmost to offend people victimized by abject hate and racism is vile. Whether or not banning that woman was "correct", I don't give two sh^ts. Her actions were motivated by her seeing Muslim as less than human, and less than deserving of basic humanity. Your thread completely misses the point of what a piece garbage that woman is.
  12. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 03:46
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    She wasn't unjustly banned.
    She should be banned for existing with her retarded FFing opinions.
    See, this is a budding legal mind right here.

How could you not look at this opinion and think... "Exactly. Her retarded opinions should get her banned."
  13. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 03:48
    Doing your utmost to offend people victimized by abject hate and racism is vile. Whether or not banning that woman was "correct", I don't give two sh^ts. Her actions were motivated by her seeing Muslim as less than human, and less than deserving of basic humanity. Your thread completely misses the point of what a piece garbage that woman is.
    I do not think that is accurate.

I think she would gladly have a debate on the topic with anyone.

I think she was very cleverly pointing out a major problem: too many people are overly emotional and this is a threat to our democracy if we can no longer have rational discussions. The provocation would have proved exactly that.

It is a great way of pointing out the level of the problem that faces the UK.
  14. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 03:49
    Generally, here, you all support Free Speech, right?

I should be allowed to say something that is offensive without being attacked by a mob, right? Even if it is stupid.

Because if you do not support that, let's imagine a sceanrio in the 1970s where a man speaks out that men should be allowed to marry one another, and a group of Christian bigots beat the living hell out of him just for sayign it in public.

That would be a gross violation of his right to free speech, correct?

Or... Am I misunderstanding freedom?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 04:43
    Or... Am I misunderstanding freedom?
    Yes. Deeply so.
    And disturbingly so.