Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    18 Apr '10 19:37
    Post one of your favorite quotes, the opposition is then free to post a quote from one of their heroes, that is somehow related to, but counters the previous.

    One quote at a time to stop the spamming which has already proven too tempting for some.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”

    Frederic Bastiat
  2. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    18 Apr '10 19:42
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Post one of your favorite quotes, the opposition is then free to post a quote from one of their heroes, that is somehow related to, but counters the previous.

    One quote at a time to stop the spamming which has already proven too tempting for some.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that ...[text shortened]... roperty existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”

    Frederic Bastiat
    Great idea!

    Here's my partial answer to your quote:

    If I were asked to answer the following question: What is slavery? and I should answer in one word, It is murder, my meaning would be understood at once. No extended argument would be required to show that the power to take from a man his thought, his will, his personality, is a power of life and death; and that to enslave a man is to kill him. Why, then, to this other question: What is property? may I not likewise answer, It is robbery, without the certainty of being misunderstood; the second proposition being no other than a transformation of the first?


    Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
    http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/economics/proudhon/property/index.htm
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    18 Apr '10 19:48
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Post one of your favorite quotes, the opposition is then free to post a quote from one of their heroes, that is somehow related to, but counters the previous.

    One quote at a time to stop the spamming which has already proven too tempting for some.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that ...[text shortened]... roperty existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”

    Frederic Bastiat
    Good choice of quote! Related to your quote:

    "Nor was this appropriation of any parcel of land, by improving it, any prejudice to any other man, since there was still enough and as good left, and more than the yet unprovided could use. So that, in effect, there was never the less left for others because of his enclosure for himself. "

    John Locke
    http://libertyonline.hypermall.com/Locke/second/second-frame.html
  4. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    18 Apr '10 19:50
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Great idea!

    Here's my partial answer to your quote:

    [quote]If I were asked to answer the following question: What is slavery? and I should answer in one word, It is murder, my meaning would be understood at once. No extended argument would be required to show that the power to take from a man his thought, his will, his personality, is a power of l ...[text shortened]... oseph Proudhon
    http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/economics/proudhon/property/index.htm
    “Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have so much.'”
  5. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    18 Apr '10 19:52
    What happens when the reply totally fails to answer the previous quote?
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    18 Apr '10 19:52
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Post one of your favorite quotes, the opposition is then free to post a quote from one of their heroes, that is somehow related to, but counters the previous.

    One quote at a time to stop the spamming which has already proven too tempting for some.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that ...[text shortened]... roperty existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”

    Frederic Bastiat
    Here's a great, thought provoking quote:

    Often the masses are plundered and do not know it.
    Frederic Bastiat


    In combination with the above quote I offered, it reminds us how the rich often choose to plunder capital from the poor, denying them their ability to exercise their right to earn property. For example, slavery in the past; the lack of available, unowned land for people to claim today while the wealthy own vast tracts of land; etc.
  7. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    18 Apr '10 20:02
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    What happens when the reply [b]totally fails to answer the previous quote?[/b]
    “The young man knows the rules but the old man knows the exceptions”

    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    18 Apr '10 20:03 / 1 edit
    [i]Sixteenth Article to the Pennsylvania Bill of Rights (that was only "narrowly defeated" ) declared: an enormous proportion of property vested in a few individuals is dangerous to the rights, and destructive of the common happiness of mankind, and, therefore, every free state hath a right by its laws to discourage the possession of such property."

    http://www.eatthestate.org/09-17/HowRichToo.htm[i]
  9. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    18 Apr '10 20:03
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    What happens when the reply [b]totally fails to answer the previous quote?[/b]
    “If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun”

    Katharine Hepburn
  10. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    18 Apr '10 20:05
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Here's a great, thought provoking quote:

    Often the masses are plundered and do not know it.
    Frederic Bastiat


    In combination with the above quote I offered, it reminds us how the rich often choose to plunder capital from the poor, denying them their ability to exercise their right to earn property. For example, slavery in the past; the ...[text shortened]... ailable, unowned land for people to claim today while the wealthy own vast tracts of land; etc.
    “Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state wants to live at the expense of everyone.”

    Bastiat.

    I think Bastiat would be referring to guvamint plunder in your chosen quote ATY.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    18 Apr '10 20:07
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    “Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state wants to live at the expense of everyone.”

    Bastiat.

    I think Bastiat would be referring to guvamint plunder in your chosen quote ATY.
    Yes, I am sure he was. Despite his intention to slam the government he inadvertantly highlights how the rich are the ones plundering the masses.
  12. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    18 Apr '10 20:07
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    “If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun”

    Katharine Hepburn
    I like your two previous quotes so I'll just forget that you totally missed the point of the quote in my first post.
  13. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    18 Apr '10 20:34
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    I like your two previous quotes so I'll just forget that you totally missed the point of the quote in my first post.
    "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission"

    Grace Hopper
  14. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    18 Apr '10 20:37
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Great idea!

    Here's my partial answer to your quote:

    [quote]If I were asked to answer the following question: What is slavery? and I should answer in one word, It is murder, my meaning would be understood at once. No extended argument would be required to show that the power to take from a man his thought, his will, his personality, is a power of l ...[text shortened]... oseph Proudhon
    http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/economics/proudhon/property/index.htm
    “Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can”

    Samuel Adams
  15. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    18 Apr '10 21:08
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    “Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can”

    Samuel Adams
    In England, at this day, if elections were open to all classes of people, the property of landed proprietors would be insecure. An agrarian law would soon take place. If these observations be just, our government ought to secure the permanent interests of the country against innovation. Landholders ought to have a share in the government, to support these invaluable interests, and to balance and check the other. They ought to be so constituted as to protect the minority of the opulent against the majority.


    James Madison http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/yates.asp