Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 17 Jul '15 18:51
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/15/ireland-rapist-apologists-magnus-meyer-hustveit

"Rape apologists need an exercise in empathy. Here's one."
    --Emer O'Toole (15 July 2015)

In the Republic of Ireland, Magnus Meyer Hustveit was found guilty of
    repeatedly raping his former girlfriend when she was unconscious.
    (At those times, she was taking a medication that made her sleep heavily.)
    The judge has decided, however, to suspend all of the rapist's sentence.
    So he will spend no time in prison. The judge's leniency seems motivated
    by the rapist's candor in admitting his guilt to the victim and to the court.
    This was not just the case of one rape, however, it was of many rapes.

So if a man has sexual intercourse with a woman when she's unconscious
    and unable to consent and then admits that he raped her, should he walk free?
  2. 17 Jul '15 18:55
    Let me see...

A couple goes out and gets drunk. She passes out and the boyfriend has sex with her anyhow.

Sounds like something that might happen and most people would not consider rape.
  3. 17 Jul '15 20:54 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Let me see...
    A couple goes out and gets drunk. She passes out and the boyfriend has sex with her anyhow.
    Sounds like something that might happen and most people would not consider rape.
    Eladar's post shows a characteristic attitude of a rape apologist, if not also a potential rapist.

"She passes out (on a date) and the boyfriend has sex with her anyhow. ...
    most people would not consider (it) rape."
    --Eladar

Assuming that 'most people' includes Eladar himself, every woman who's considering
    accepting a date with Eladar (I know that he's claimed to be a married man now) should
    be aware that Eladar apparently believes that if she 'passed out', then he would feel
    entitled to have sexual intercourse with her *without asking for or receiving her consent*.

With attitudes like Eladar's or what's claimed by Eladar as 'normal', no wonder date rape is common.
    And no wonder it's extremely hard to get convictions in the cases of acquaintance rape.
  4. 17 Jul '15 21:17
    So I take it that you are complaining about a guy who normally has sex with a woman having sex with the woman, but it is rape if they are drunk and she passes out.
  5. 17 Jul '15 21:26 / 1 edit
    So I take it that you are complaining about a guy who normally has sex with a woman
    having sex with the woman, but it is rape if they are drunk and she passes out.
    Either Eladar's 'reading comprehension' is so abysmal that he has jumped to more absurd
    conclusions or he's extremely dishonest in attempting to cover up his earlier implied approval
    of a man having sexual intercourse with a woman *without asking for or receiving her consent*.
  6. 20 Jul '15 11:07
    Let me see...

most who? the scenario you described is rape. someone passed out doesn't consent. sex without consent is rape.
  7. 20 Jul '15 11:08
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/15/ireland-rapist-apologists-magnus-meyer-hustveit

(At those times, she ...[text shortened]... she's unconscious
    nauseating.

seems like a very stupid usage of the "right to silence" (like the US fifth amendment)
    hopefully this will be appealed later.
  8. 20 Jul '15 11:29
    Let me see...

If she doesn’t pass out but says she’s not in the mood and then the boyfriend has sex with her anyway, would you consider it rape? But now that she’s passed out and unable to decline, you wouldn’t consider it rape??

Dafuq is wrong with you??
  9. 20 Jul '15 12:46
    Let me see...

and i forgot to add:

Dafuq is wrong with you??
  10. 20 Jul '15 13:07
    Let me see...

Sounds like something rapists would not consider rape.
  11. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    20 Jul '15 13:14
    Let me see...

Dude, WTF?
  12. 20 Jul '15 13:44
    Originally posted by Duchess64

(At those times, she ...[text shortened]... she's unconscious
    Only if you are a famous black comedian.

Then it is politically correct
  13. 20 Jul '15 13:48 / 1 edit
    Rape according to Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.

"A man goes home and masturbates his typical fantasy. A woman on her knees, a woman tied up, a woman abused.

"A woman enjoys intercourse with her man — as she fantasizes being raped by 3 men simultaneously.

"The man and woman get dressed up on Sunday — and go to Church, or maybe to their 'revolutionary' political meeting.

"Have you ever looked at the Stag, Man, Hero, Tough magazines on the shelf of your local bookstore? Do you know why the newspaper with the articles like 'Girl 12 raped by 14 men' sell so well? To what in us are they appealing?"

"Many women seem to be walking a tightrope," he writes, as their "qualities of love, openness, and gentleness were too deeply enmeshed with qualities of dependency, subservience, and masochism."

"What is it they want from a woman? Are they at fault? Are they perpetrating this man-woman situation? Are they oppressors?"

"And she said, 'You wanted me not as a woman, or a lover, or a friend, but as a submissive woman, or submissive friend, or submissive lover...'

"And he said, 'You're full of ______.'

"And they never again made love together (which they had each liked to do more than anything) or never saw each other one more time."
  14. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    20 Jul '15 13:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    Rape according to Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.

"A man goes home and masturbates his typical fantasy. A woman on her knees, a woman tied up, a woman abused.

"A woman enjoys intercourse with her man — as she fantasizes being raped by 3 men simultaneously.

"The man and woman get dressed up on Sunday — and go to Church, or maybe to their 'r ...[text shortened]... her (which they had each liked to do more than anything) or never saw each other one more time."
    Bernie and Eladar must be drinking buddies.
  15. 20 Jul '15 13:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Bernie and Eladar must be drinking buddies.
    So what is wrong with our legal system if scum like Bill Cosby can walk around a free man?

The moral of the story is, if you have enough money you are above the law.

Marauder should be around any time now telling us how it is all OK.