Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 06 Apr '17 20:58 / 1 edit
    In Chile, a nun's suing the Catholic Church for compelling her to leave a convent.
    In 2012 (when she was 30 years old), the convent allowed some men to
    stay there while making repairs. One man raped and impregnated her.
    Filled with shame, she concealed her unwanted pregnancy. When it was
    discovered, she claims that the other nuns blamed her, accusing her of
    of voluntarily giving herself to the man and even hoping to fall pregnant.
    After leaving the convent, she gave birth and put her baby up for adoption.
    In 2015, the man was convicted of raping her and sentenced to five years in prison.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-39501530

"Chile nun sues Catholic Church for damages after rape"

"A nun in Chile is suing the religious order she belonged to after its
    members pressured her to leave her convent over her pregnancy.
    The nun became pregnant after she was raped by a man carrying out repairs at the convent.

She alleges that, when her fellow sisters found out about her pregnancy,
    they pressured her to leave the convent and the Church.
    Her lawyer says the sisters blamed her for having been raped.
    She is suing the Archbishopric of Santiago and the Order of St Clare."

"She is a nun living in a convent who was raped and instead of being protected
    she was blamed for what happened," her lawyer Camila Maturana said.
    "In a convent, where nuns are kept separate from worldly life, men shouldn't
    stay overnight," Ms Maturana said.

"All religious institutions in a diocese fall under the aegis of a bishop, in
    this case it's the Archbishop of Santiago," she added, to explain the decision
    to sue the Archbishopric as well as the Order of St Clare.

The nun said she felt "abandoned by my only family and my Church,
    which I have always defended like a lioness".

Bishop Concha said the Archbishopric had been unaware of the nun's plight until 27 March."
  2. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    07 Apr '17 06:39
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    In Chile, a nun's suing the Catholic Church for compelling her to leave a convent.
    discovered, she claims that the other nuns blamed her, accusing ...[text shortened]... ".

Bishop Concha said the Archbishopric had been unaware of the nun's plight until 27 March."
    Your obsession with rape is unhealthy.
  3. 07 Apr '17 09:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Your obsession with rape is unhealthy.
    what's the point of this comment?

what exactly are you trying to communicate?

someone suffered an ordeal and the organisation that is supposed to protect and support her did jack. was duchess supposed to ignore this story or not bring it up here because you are under the impression that not enough time has passed since her last thread about rape?
    are rape stories boring you?

what other issues should we ignore lest we be labeled as "unhealthily obsessed" by you?
    should we have a quota on police brutality stories? on racism stories? on abused women?

i vaguely remember you to be better than this. Want to prove me wrong?
  4. 07 Apr '17 10:06
    I am confused as to on why the church is being sued...

Is it because the nun was "pressured to leave the church"?

Or because the church should've protected her? On what grounds? Did the church have a legal responsibility to take care of this adult woman?
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    07 Apr '17 10:47
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

Or because the church should've protected her? On what grounds? Did the church have a legal responsibility to take care of this adult woman?
    Because they knew full well what happened but put the interest of the so-called church ahead of that nun's.
  6. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    07 Apr '17 10:48 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    what's the point of this comment? what exactly are you trying to communicate?
    The point of the comment is to express my observation that duchess64 seems to make a lot of posts about rape.
    What I am trying to communicate is that an apparent obsession with rape as indicated by making lots of posts about the subject is probably unhealthy.

Hope that helps
  7. 07 Apr '17 10:58
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Because they knew full well what happened but put the interest of the so-called church ahead of that nun's.
    the bishop claims ignorance

he can still do the right thing if he has the balls.
    if he doesn't, it would make the Catholic Church even more of a horrible joke. it will basically say they would rather move pedophile priests to another congregation but not a raped nun who played by all their rules
  8. 07 Apr '17 11:28
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Did they know the rape was happening? Is that what you're saying? Or are you saying they knew what happened afterwards?

What is the nun suing the church for?
  9. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    07 Apr '17 14:03
    All people are bastards.
  10. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    07 Apr '17 15:59
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    All people are bastards.
    Except the ones who have children when they are married
  11. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    07 Apr '17 16:01
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Did they know the rape was happening? Is that what you're saying? Or are you saying they knew what happened afterwards?

What is the nun suing the church for?
    I'm quite sure they knew afterwards. There would have been nobody in the room she was raped in. Getting pregnant is a fairly sure sign she had sex. Jesus notwithstanding
  12. 07 Apr '17 16:36
    I'm quite sure they knew afterwards. There would have been nobody in the room she was raped in. Getting pregnant is a fairly sure sign she had sex. Jesus notwithstanding
    Alright...

So what is she suing the church for?
  13. 07 Apr '17 19:06 / 2 edits
    Or because the church should've protected her? On what grounds?
    Did the church have a legal responsibility to take care of this adult woman?
    I have not read the details of the lawsuit. But it seems to me that the convent may be charged with negligence.

The argument would go like this: The convent has an obligation to provide for the safety
    of its nuns residing there. A nun was raped inside the convent (her home) by a man
    whom the convent had employed and, contrary to usual practice, allowed to stay there.
    Does the employer not have some responsibility for the actions of its employee at a work site?
    Given the unusual presence of men (Did the convent run any criminal background checks?)
    in the convent, as authorized by the convent, should not the convent have done something
    to provide additional security (such as temporarily hiring a guard) for its resident nuns?

Consider an analogy. A women's college hires a man (without doing a criminal background check)
    to work and live on site. No additonal security is offered to the students. He rapes a student.
    Then she sues the college. Now I would submit that a convent has at least as much
    responsibility to look after its nuns as a women's college has to look after its adult students.
  14. 07 Apr '17 19:28 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi to Divegeester
    what's the point of this comment?
    what exactly are you trying to communicate?

someone suffered an ordeal and the organisation that is supposed to protect and support her did jack. was duchess supposed to ignore this story or not bring it up here because you are under the impression that not enough time has passed since her last thread ab ...[text shortened]... ries? on abused women?

i vaguely remember you to be better than this. Want to prove me wrong?
    In fact, the last thread about rape that I created was on 4 March 2017 (more than one month ago).
    Five other threads about rape have been created by four other people since then in this forum.

"Trump Makes April 'Sexual Assault Awareness Month'"
    --created by Vivify on 3 April 2017

"Is this rape?"
    --created by Vivify on 1 April 2017

"A different take on rape"
    --created by Shavixmir on 16 March 2017

"Rape in Mexico"
    --created by Whodey on 12 March 2017

"Rape..."
    --created by Phranny on 12 March 2017

"''A Rape Test for Welfare is a Chilling Way to Save Money'"
    --created by Duchess64 on 4 March 2017

"You [Divegeester] seem to be very good at reading things which aren't there,
    and then trying to use them against the person who doesn't write them."
    --Indonesia Phil (to Divegeester, 2 April 2017, "The article 50 thread" )

Divegeester's an abusive lying troll (as writers as diverse as TWhitehead and Suzianne concur)
    with a long record of personally attacking me.
  15. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    07 Apr '17 19:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    discovered, she claims that the other nuns blamed her, accusing ...[text shortened]... ".

Conveniently left out of Duchess's post are all those young nun's that were molested by older nuns in the last 15 centuries. The older nuns were just as predatory, and knew they could do it all they wished because there would be no unwanted pregnancy's to prove otherwise. But then we have to remember: The white man is the enemy!