Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '19 15:04
    I was surprised to find out North Korean anti-religion campaigns. It seems it was relatively successful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_North_Korea

I don't see much value in religion personally. I actually think it should be discouraged.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '19 15:181 edit
    @metal-brain said
    I was surprised to find out North Korean anti-religion campaigns. It seems it was relatively successful.

I don't see much value in religion personally. I actually think it should be discouraged.
    Yes, North Korea is the utopia for atheists like yourself.

Perhaps Dennis Rodman could take you some time cuz I think he is the only one that Fat Boy seems to like or even want to visit.
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    30 Mar '19 15:28
    @whodey said
    Yes, North Korea is the utopia for atheists like yourself.

Perhaps Dennis Rodman could take you some time cuz I think he is the only one that Fat Boy seems to like or even want to visit.
    Besides the Donald you mean?
  4. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Mar '19 15:31
    Even a horrendous monstrosity, such ad North Korea, must have at least one redeeming feature.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Mar '19 18:431 edit
    @metal-brain said

Kim Jong-Un is the only god allowed in NK
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    31 Mar '19 14:19
    @vivify said
    So religion is replaced by religion....
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    31 Mar '19 20:56
    @vivify said
    Donald Trump may 'like' (to quote him) or admire Kim Jong-un because Donald Trump
    hopes to create (ideally) a similar cult of personality around himself in the USA.

Imagine the formation of a Trump Youth movement (similar to the Hitler Youth).
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Apr '19 03:36
    @ponderable said
    So religion is replaced by religion....
    I don't think Kim cares about religion one way or another; I think he simply sees it as a threat. For example, a Muslim may resist ever referring to Kim as his "Supreme Leader", instead believing that only Allah is supreme.

Religion has a way of building up a resistance against outside forces; faith can be a powerful thing, even in the face of torture. I don't think Kim banned religion due to any ideological beliefs, but because history has shown religion can bind believers in nearly unbreakable ways; ways that can be problematic for a dictator.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Apr '19 04:29
    @vivify said
    I don't think Kim cares about religion one way or another; I think he simply sees it as a threat. For example, a Muslim may resist ever referring to Kim as his "Supreme Leader", instead believing that only Allah is supreme.

Religion has a way of building up a resistance against outside forces; faith can be a powerful thing, even in the face of torture. I don't think Kim ...[text shortened]... religion can bind believers in nearly unbreakable ways; ways that can be problematic for a dictator.
    So we have to define religion. Where is the difference between a "supreme leader" and a "supreme being" after all the supreme leader claims porperties which are traditionally assigned to God, so we do have religion here don't we?
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Apr '19 13:17
    @ponderable said
    So we have to define religion. Where is the difference between a "supreme leader" and a "supreme being" after all the supreme leader claims porperties which are traditionally assigned to God, so we do have religion here don't we?
    Absolutely. Kim only cares about religion if he's the god.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    03 Apr '19 02:112 edits
    @vivify said

Religion has a way of building up a resistance against outside forces; faith can be a powerful thing, even in the face of torture. I don't think Kim ...[text shortened]... religion can bind believers in nearly unbreakable ways; ways that can be problematic for a dictator.
    (Vivify replied to Ponderable.)

While there's a cult of personality around the Kims (three so far) who have ruled the DPRK,
    they have NOT claimed divine status. North Koreans are not taught to regard Kim Jong-un
    as a 'living god' like the Japanese were taught to regard Emperor Hirohito as one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin%27s_cult_of_personality

Stalin enjoyed a similar cult personality. In the Great Patriotic War, many Muslims
    fought bravely or died for Stalin and the USSR.