Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    10 Apr '10 05:59
    These are not happy days for the G O P. Losses in the elections of 2006 and 2008, sex and legal scandals, as well as a bitterly fought loss on the health care front have left Republicans divided and angry. The reason for this is clear: For much of the time George W Bush was in power Republicans controlled Congress, and they grew used to getting there own way. This has made Republicans arrogent, inflexible and unwilling to compromise. Perhaps it's time for Republicans to realize that the American people have spoken, and decided the Democrats should now be given power. Death threats, violence, and other uncivil behavior will not help the Republican cause. It will only add to there sore loser image. After observing American politics for 35+ years, I have no doubt the Republican party will become the majority party again sometime in the future. Until that day I would highly suggest Republicans learn from one of there past Presidents. Ronald Regan was a polite man in the face of defeat, as well as victory. Perhaps the first step back to power for the G O P is to behave a little more like him.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Apr '10 02:49
    Originally posted by bill718
    These are not happy days for the G O P. Losses in the elections of 2006 and 2008, sex and legal scandals, as well as a bitterly fought loss on the health care front have left Republicans divided and angry. The reason for this is clear: For much of the time George W Bush was in power Republicans controlled Congress, and they grew used to getting there own wa ...[text shortened]... ory. Perhaps the first step back to power for the G O P is to behave a little more like him.
    Do you even believe all that nonsense?

Republicans are divided?

Huh?

If anything, Republicans are mind numbingly and thoughtlessly united.

These are not happy days for the GOP? Did you pay attention to any election since 2008? Does the name Scott Brown ring a bell? Do you read the 2010 election polls? The projections? Anything?

Death threats? Violence? By the Republican party? What are you talking about?

3. 11 Apr '10 03:45
    Originally posted by sh76

Republicans are divided?

Huh?

These are not happy days for the GOP? Did you pay attention to any election since 2008? Does the name Scott Brown ring a bell? Do you read the 2010 election polls? The projections? Anything?

Yeah it's weird the democrats are crapping their pants and this guy thinks the republicans are on the run makes you wonder where he gets his news from.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    11 Apr '10 03:54
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Yeah it's weird the democrats are crapping their pants and this guy thinks the republicans are on the run makes you wonder where he gets his news from.
    Predictions are Dems are going to pick up a few seats in 2010.
  5. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    11 Apr '10 15:55 / 2 edits

Republicans are divided?

Huh?

News flash, many of its voters have gone elsewhere -- it doesn't really matter if the GOP itself is less divided.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/26703
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-03-10-rove_N.htm

I don't really believe that this will hurt the GOP in 2010. I don't think the tea party is organized enough yet. But I agree with the OP on the road being followed.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Apr '10 16:57
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Predictions are Dems are going to pick up a few seats in 2010.
    I'll give you 20:1 odds against that.
  7. 11 Apr '10 18:30

Republicans are divided?

Huh?

There have been death threats and violence recently as you know, and although not effected directly from the GOP I'm quite sure that those making the threats are Republicans in the main.
  8. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    12 Apr '10 02:22
    Even when the benefits of more universal health-care are felt, you think pro-dem ads might not rally your typically apathetic electorate to go to the polls?
  9. 12 Apr '10 03:26
    I'm not so sure. Will the US feel the negative effects of Obamcare by the fall of 2010? In fact, will they feel any of the long range consequences of his policies by that time? His biggest problem will be unemployment. I don't think it will improve. However, to counter this problem perhaps he can move to make illegals citizens. In fact, this move might get him elected in 2012.
  10. 12 Apr '10 04:38
    Originally posted by badmoon
    There have been death threats and violence recently as you know, and although not effected directly from the GOP I'm quite sure that those making the threats are Republicans in the main.
    Oh I totally agree. And there is so much evidence to back yet another prejudiced claim of yours.
    For example, the now infamous Hutaree militia
    Most of the indicted militia members accused of being anti-government extremists have active voting records, a check with area voter registration offices showed yesterday. One is a registered Democrat, and the party affiliations of the rest could not be determined. Jacob J. Ward, 33, of Huron, Ohio, voted as a Democrat in the 2004 and 2008 primary elections.--Toledo Blade, April 1
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    12 Apr '10 04:42
    Do any people in the U.S. register for Party A and cast a vote in the primaries when in fact they are supporters of (and General Election voters for) Party B?
  12. 12 Apr '10 05:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do any people in the U.S. register for Party A and cast a vote in the primaries when in fact they are supporters of (and General Election voters for) Party B?
    No. I highly doubt it. It makes no sense.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    12 Apr '10 05:18
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    No. I highly doubt it. It makes no sense.
    It makes no sense? Really?
  14. 12 Apr '10 05:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    It makes no sense? Really?
    what sense would it make to register as a democrat if you were actually a republican?if that is what you are implying.

edit: I assume you are referring to Jacob J. Ward, 33, of Huron, Ohio a registered democrat
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    12 Apr '10 05:36
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    what sense would it make to register as a democrat if you were actually a republican?
    It doesn't matter.