Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Dec '18 20:20
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/wisconsin-gov-scott-walker-signs-bills-weakening-democratic-successor-n948096

Outgoing Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican, signed into law a sweeping set of bills on Friday passed by the lame-duck GOP-controlled legislature to limit the powers of the incoming Democratic administration.

Critics charged that the changes dilute the authority of the incoming Democratic governor and attorney general, and will restrict early voting.

Democrats have excoriated the move by Republicans, calling it an appalling partisan power grab, while protesters have descended on the state capitol to condemn the efforts.

Among other changes, the bills would prevent the governor from scrapping the state's Medicaid work requirements and hamper his ability to withdraw Wisconsin from lawsuits like the one challenging the Affordable Care Act, as well.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Dec '18 23:40
    @vivify said
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/wisconsin-gov-scott-walker-signs-bills-weakening-democratic-successor-n948096

Outgoing Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican, signed into law a sweeping set of bills on Friday passed by the lame-duck GOP-controlled legislature to limit the powers of the incoming Democratic administration.

Critics charged that the ...[text shortened]... withdraw Wisconsin from lawsuits like the one challenging the Affordable Care Act, as well.
    Seriously, in the aftermath of Trumpian politics, I was wondering when we'd start seeing 'scorched earth' policies like this.
  3. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 01:42
    But how is this obstructing voters?

The lawmakers that came up with this plan are elected officials...

... and if they are a 'lame duck' legislature, how did they suddenly get together this big bill that will allegedly be so negative?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 02:03
    @philokalia said

... and if they are a 'lame duck' legislature, how did they suddenly get together this big bill that will allegedly be so negative?
    The will of the voters (I can't actually believe I have to explain this to an adult, but then, you are, apparently, a Republican) of Wisconsin was to elect a Democrat, Tony Evers, to replace Republican governor Scott Walker. Clearly they prefer the campaign promises of the man they elected over those of the man they rejected. So this set of laws in Wisconsin is for the express purpose of limiting the incoming governor's powers, against the will of the people. That's why this eleventh hour move is so disgusting. I doubt if Scott Walker will ever be elected to anything, ever again, although he might want to try some other red state, since those are the voters most likely to vote as they are told by Fox News and/or their president.
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 10:04
    @suzianne said
    Seriously, in the aftermath of Trumpian politics, I was wondering when we'd start seeing 'scorched earth' policies like this.
    What I find most amazing and disturbing is that over 35% of this country believe we are on the right track. It is a time historians may one day call the "Great Brain Deadening ".
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 11:201 edit
    @caissad4 said
    What I find most amazing and disturbing is that over 35% of this country believe we are on the right track. It is a time historians may one day call the "Great Brain Deadening ".
    Right? It boggles the mind.

The truly sad part is that he'll probably even get re-elected.
  7. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 11:35
    @suzianne said
    The will of the voters (I can't actually believe I have to explain this to an adult, but then, you are, apparently, a Republican) of Wisconsin was to elect a Democrat, Tony Evers, to replace Republican governor Scott Walker. Clearly they prefer the campaign promises of the man they elected over those of the man they rejected. So this set of laws in Wisconsin is for ...[text shortened]... since those are the voters most likely to vote as they are told by Fox News and/or their president.
    Your insults are unwelcome.

I can't respond.

But if I were to respond, for the sake of other posters, I'd point out that there's more than a single election in Wisconsin that matters.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 13:37
    @philokalia said
    I'd point out that there's more than a single election in Wisconsin that matters.
    A governor is arguably the single most powerful elected state official. There may be other elections, but the vote for governor is one of (if not the most) important election for a state. So when Republicans cut the powers of such an official merely because he's a member of a rival party, that's a big deal.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 02:22
    @philokalia said

I can't respond.

But if I were to respond, for the sake of other posters, I'd point out that there's more than a single election in Wisconsin that matters.
    Not for Scott Walker.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 14:17
    @philokalia said

I can't respond.

your party is destroying democracy.
    how about you do respond?
  11. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 00:48
    @vivify said
    A governor is arguably the single most powerful elected state official. There may be other elections, but the vote for governor is one of (if not the most) important election for a state. So when Republicans cut the powers of such an official merely because he's a member of a rival party, that's a big deal.
    Just like the interests of states outweigh the interests of the popular vote in a federal election, the collective voice of the counties can outweigh that of the popular vote in a state.

Milwaukee and Madison don't get to single handedly determine how all of Wisconsin should be run.
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 01:07
    @philokalia said
    Just like the interests of states outweigh the interests of the popular vote in a federal election, the collective voice of the counties can outweigh that of the popular vote in a state.

Milwaukee and Madison don't get to single handedly determine how all of Wisconsin should be run.
    Pieces of dirt have no "collective voice" or "interests".
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 11:20
    @philokalia said

States don't vote. Counties don't vote. Cities don't vote.

People DO vote. This is why the popular vote SHOULD matter above any subsets of votes, and exactly why the Electoral College should be dismantled.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 18:21
    @Philokalia
    But it's ok for the loser Republicans to screw the rules so they can still rule even though they have been out voted.

Or suppress the votes in the first place, don't want no African Americans voting, send them back to Africa, same with those lazy Latino's.

We want the WALL.

Funny, wasn't it Reagan who said 'Tear Down That Wall'?
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 19:33
    @philokalia said

They "suddenly got it together" because their favored candidates were defeated by the People of Wisconsin.

A reasonable view of any election for an office is that the People are voting for someone who they think will most effectively use the powers of that office. To unilaterally change those powers AFTER the election but BEFORE the newly elected take office is an affront to democracy; there is zero chance the lame duck legislature would have made such changes IF the People had voted the way Republicans in Wisconsin desired.

The People's wishes have been thwarted in part to put it simply.