Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 07 Sep '11 17:58
    Apparently there will be no formal response to his speech, and several Republicans in office intend to Twitter instead of attending the speech.

    Of course it's because he has absolutely no power as revealed by his series of caves, but you would think Republicans would actually pretend that they are willing to compromise. Not so. Instead they are going to pander to a small minority of nutcases while the rest of the country slumbers.

    Will this cost them politically? Obviously their internal polling says no. Basic disrespect for the presidency, when occupied by a liberal, is now acceptable. Republicans can break 200 years of tradition and scream "you lie" at a State of the Union Speech. They can ignore the law when they are in power, and routinely threaten to shut down government when they are in the minority. A filibuster is no merely a "no" vote - when Democrats are in power. Redistricting is all about getting the majority - unless of course you're a Democrat.

    We're on our way to a one party system, and the Democratic leadership is letting it happen.
  2. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    07 Sep '11 18:21 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Of course it's because he has absolutely no power as revealed by his series of caves, but you would think Republicans would actually pretend that they are willing to compromise. Not so.
    I suppose you think this is just for show, then?

    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/story/2011-09-06/Republicans-reaching-out-to-Obama-before-jobs-speech/50289064/1
  3. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Sep '11 19:29
    President Obama will probably spend a good deal of his speech wagging his finger and demonizing the GOP in a transparent attempt to distract everyone from the fact that he is a miserable failure, all while proposing more of the same stuff that's already failed. The GOP doesn't have to play his game.
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Sep '11 19:36
    I wonder if this ad will play during the Green Bay vs. New Orleans season opener.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ss6FiDoWh1I
  5. 07 Sep '11 19:41
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Apparently there will be no formal response to his speech, and several Republicans in office intend to Twitter instead of attending the speech.

    Of course it's because he has absolutely no power as revealed by his series of caves, but you would think Republicans would actually pretend that they are willing to compromise. Not so. Instead they are going t ...[text shortened]... 're on our way to a one party system, and the Democratic leadership is letting it happen.
    If Republican don't wish to attend the speech or respond I can't see why anyone would object.
  6. 07 Sep '11 19:42
    Why would anyone care?

    If Dems wanted to ignore a GW speech, I would have thought nothing of it.
  7. 07 Sep '11 19:55
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Why would anyone care?

    If Dems wanted to ignore a GW speech, I would have thought nothing of it.
    Did they ever do that? In fact, has this ever happened before in the history of the U.S.?

    In the meantime, yet another Republican has announced that he has something better to do than engage the President in a discussion about jobs. I think they're a little bit nervous actually, if the primary political media narrative moves from debt to jobs, and voters start asking precisely what Republicans who won last year on a jobs platform have done or proposed?

    http://www.wdsu.com/r/29106938/detail.html
  8. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Sep '11 20:12
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Did they ever do that? In fact, has this ever happened before in the history of the U.S.?

    In the meantime, yet another Republican has announced that he has something better to do than engage the President in a discussion about jobs. I think they're a little bit nervous actually, if the primary political media narrative moves from debt to jobs, and voters ...[text shortened]... st year on a jobs platform have done or proposed?

    http://www.wdsu.com/r/29106938/detail.html
    So to be clear, you would prefer it if the GOP did not pass up this opportunity to criticize the President?
  9. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    07 Sep '11 20:24
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    So to be clear, you would prefer it if the GOP did not pass up this opportunity to criticize the President?
    Haha.
  10. 07 Sep '11 20:52
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    So to be clear, you would prefer it if the GOP did not pass up this opportunity to criticize the President?
    That's right. Criticism is engagement. What they are saying, for the first time in history, is that the President doesn't have anything important to say. And I'm sure plenty of right wingers are going to enjoy the jab, and think that their heroes are really sending a statement. But eventually the Democrats will give up trying to be the statesmen as maturity is politically unrewarded, and they will do the same to a Republican President. The the level of discourse will continue to degenerate, as governing takes a back seat to cultural and political jihad.
  11. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Sep '11 20:56
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    That's right. Criticism is engagement. What they are saying, for the first time in history, is that the President doesn't have anything important to say. And I'm sure plenty of right wingers are going to enjoy the jab, and think that their heroes are really sending a statement. But eventually the Democrats will give up trying to be the statesmen as maturi ...[text shortened]... will continue to degenerate, as governing takes a back seat to cultural and political jihad.
    Did you say something?
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Sep '11 20:58
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    That's right. Criticism is engagement. What they are saying, for the first time in history, is that the President doesn't have anything important to say. And I'm sure plenty of right wingers are going to enjoy the jab, and think that their heroes are really sending a statement. But eventually the Democrats will give up trying to be the statesmen as maturi ...[text shortened]... will continue to degenerate, as governing takes a back seat to cultural and political jihad.
    Yikes.

    Because they're not scheduling a response?

    Get a grip.
  13. 07 Sep '11 21:04
    Originally posted by sh76
    Yikes.

    Because they're not scheduling a response?

    Get a grip.
    And because the big names are boycotting the speech entirely.

    I think it's a mixture of issues, and if the national debate does get refocused on jobs, the Republicans have to account for the failure of their theory that budget cuts lead to economic growth, the strategy having failed over the past 9 months. It looks like they are abandoning their talking point. And low taxes doesn't do it either apparently. So their last talking point is that regulations are stifling growth, and their "jobs plan" will be to deregulate even more. And apparently Obama is willing to accommodate them on that.

    There is a danger to getting everything you want, and it doesn't work. If they get their further deregulation, and the economy remains flat a year from now, how are they going to blame Obama?

    So I think they feel that since Obama is essentially politically powerless right now, and they don't want to give up the deficit narrative, they simply won't respond, and won't attend. Because they can't engage on jobs this early. They might be held accountable. And they get points with their wingnuts for dissing the scary liberal black guy who stole the office. Sorry.
  14. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Sep '11 21:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    blah blah blah . . . scary liberal black guy who stole the office. Sorry.
    LOL.

    *wipes tear *

    Now it's racist not to criticize Obama.

    You have made my day, seriously.
  15. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Sep '11 21:18
    Maybe Joe Wilson can do Obama a favor and tweet "You lie!" during the speech, from his couch as he prepares to watch the game. You know, just to make Obama feel all relevant and stuff.