1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 04:141 edit
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    You think drug makers arent standing in line with their own drug as soon as a patent expires? But compnaie change on molecule, and they keep patents.
    So how do they plan to pull that off..... maybe copaxone, Ambien, Avonex, Tysabri Rebif will all suddenly become cheaper?
    None of what you said makes any sense or addresses ending Pay-for-Delay

It ends the practice of a maker of a name brand drugs paying other drug companies NOT to manufacture cheaper generics.
  2. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 13:20
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    None of what you said makes any sense or addresses ending Pay-for-Delay

It ends the practice of a maker of a name brand drugs paying other drug companies NOT to manufacture cheaper generics.
    Ok, Out with the spoon, I'm sure it will be spit back in my face at some time...I'll try to explain.
    Copaxone, Avonex, Rebiff and Tysabri are some of what the Industry calls "Orphan Drugs" meaning the companies can't make money, because less than 1 million people have the disease these are used for. The government pays these companies incentives, to continue to develop and produce them.
    Thes drugs are only for the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis. The current number of people in the U.S. having documented cases of MS is approx. 450,000.
    However, I see a problem with that in regard to the Orphan drug status, as the MS society claims there are 2500 new cases diagnosed a year, so as a side note, I question whether these drugs should still be called orphan drugs, becuase MS is not a disease that kills 2500 people a year, in fact it is a slow torture, but rarely ends in death.
    Now, if his plan is going to find a cheaoer drug for MS, I find that highly improbable, given that the Government already subsidizes these drugs..
    Now, would you like to continue on with some of the others?
    Oxycontin was patented until recently, I paid 30 for co-pays, after that patent expired, Perdue started marketing the same drug, with a coating so it had less chances of being mis-used... They surely would have marketed it earlier, had they been able to skirt the patent.
    In the future, please you quotes that are from direct sources, not some 1/2right sites, that lead people to think they are quoting things right.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree