Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Aug '17 22:53
    Pauline Hanson, a racist extreme right-wing Australian politician, is the
    founder and leader of the Pauline Hanson's One Nation Party (PHON).
    She's currently a senator representing Queensland.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/17/pauline-hanson-wears-burqa-in-australian-senate-while-calling-for-ban

"Pauline Hanson wears burqa in Australian Senate while calling for ban.
    Coalition and Labor Senate leaders sharply rebuke One Nation leader
    over her stunt and accuse her of ridiculing Muslims."

"The leader of Australia’s rightwing One Nation party has been rebuked by the
    Turnbull government for entering the Senate chamber wearing a black burqa.

Pauline Hanson caused a commotion by arriving at the Senate chamber
    for the daily question time session dressed in a black burqa, which was
    designed to underscore a call she intended to make to ban the religious
    garment, citing national security concerns.
    But Hanson was rebuked sharply for her behavior."

“Senator Hanson, no, we will not be banning the burqa,” [George] Brandis
    told the Senate on Thursday. “Senator Hanson, I’m not going to pretend
    to ignore the stunt that you have tried to pull today by arriving in the chamber
    dressed in a burqa when we all know you are not an adherent of the Islamic faith.

“I would caution you and counsel you, Senator Hanson, with respect, to be very very
    careful of the offence you may do to the religious sensibilities of other Australians.”
    "To ridicule that community, to drive it into a corner, to mock its religious garments,
    is an appalling thing to do, and I would ask you to reflect on your behavior."

"Hanson smiled throughout Brandis’ answer, and visibly delighted with
    the commotion caused by her intervention, left the Senate chamber shortly
    after her designated question."

"[Penny] Wong [leader of the opposition Labor Party], also clearly infuriated,
    told Hanson: “It is one thing to wear religious dress as a sincere act of
    faith and another to wear it here as a stunt in the Senate chamber.”

"The Labor senator Sam Dastyari, who is of Iranian heritage, and a non-practising
    Muslim, shouted that Hanson was a threat to national security, and a “disgrace”.
    Another Labor MP interjected that Hanson would next enter the chamber
    wearing a white hood – a reference to white supremacist groups."

"Hanson later took to Facebook to double down on her behaviour in the parliament."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/17/george-brandis-decency-burqa-stunt-senate-pauline-hanson

"Brandis stands up for decency after burqa stunt – but that's exactly what Hanson wanted.
    Without hesitation or qualification, George Brandis defended tolerance,
    respect and inclusion. And Pauline Hanson was delighted."

"The worst of it is Hanson got exactly what she wanted."
    "With a Queensland state election coming up, presumably it would be
    helpful to the looming campaign to once again hang a giant lantern over
    her self-styled outsider status, to be spurned by the political mainstream."
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Aug '17 22:59
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/mar/27/looking-back-and-angry-what-drives-pauline-hansons-voters

"Looking back, and angry: what drives Pauline Hanson's voters."

"Those who see Hanson tapping into something murkier than mere disenchantment with politics fear
    One Nation will never be dealt with until the major parties find the courage to address the issue
    that haunts this country: race. Their understanding – it’s bipartisan – is that however they try to
    deal with the drift of votes to One Nation, they cannot afford to denounce Hanson as a racist."

"Of course, the big parties could try doing both: confront the racism and deal with the
    economic issues. But that isn’t happening. As Malcolm Turnbull and Shorten shift ground
    to try to win back One Nation’s vote, the R-word [racism] scarcely if ever passes their lips."

"“She went too far back then,” they say in focus groups, by which they mean hounding
    Aboriginal people. Putting the boot into Muslims is seen, by contrast, as respectable work."
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 03:54
    In fact, it wasn't Aboriginals (indigenous Australians) who were her original targets, it was "in danger of being swamped by Asians" in her maiden speech to Parliament. This at a time when the White Australia policy was still in the fairly recent past, and less than 5% of the Australian population had any Asian ancestry of any kind.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 11:29
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    In fact, it wasn't Aboriginals (indigenous Australians) who were her original targets, it was "in danger of being swamped by Asians" in her maiden speech to Parliament. This at a time when the White Australia policy was still in the fairly recent past, and less than 5% of the Australian population had any Asian ancestry of any kind.
    Shhhhh. Don't disturb Duchess with inconvenient facts when she's slamming white people. Her highness becomes very angry! 😠
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 11:37
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Shhhhh. Don't disturb Duchess with inconvenient facts when she's slamming white people. Her highness becomes very angry! 😠
    The dilemma for duchess; How can she work in the 'sexist' epithet, when Hanson is a woman.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 12:21
    Originally posted by @mchill
    So because you feel D is racist and such, that makes it ok for an ultra right winger to mock a religion like that? Myself, I want freedom FROM religion not freedom OF relgion but I would never mock people like that. If I was living in Australia, I personally would want to get away from ALL the religious nuts extant and find my own community of like minded folks, preferably musicians🙂
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 16:49
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    ... If I was living in Australia, I personally would want to get away from ALL the religious nuts extant and find my own community of like minded folks, preferably musicians🙂
    It's called Nimbin. Head to Byron Bay and then turn inland. Drive for about an hour and then stop when you see the painted VW Kombi vans or hear the drum circle being announced by a daisy chain goddess called Skye.....
  8. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 17:321 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    .....But Hanson was rebuked sharply for her behavior......
    ."Brandis stands up for decency after burqa stunt – but that's exactly what Hanson wanted'
    Your article while factually correct omitted a bit of very important nuance of the day. Like the US the Australian Government controls the lower house so they can steamroll any legislation they want through the House of Representatives unnapposed.

The Senate is another kettle of fish entirely, and the Government has to do a lot of horsetrading to get any Lower House bill ratified. The Labor party will generally, almost reflexively block any governmental legislation and the Greens more often than not will side with Labor, but when the Government Senator, George Brandis rebuked Pauline Hanson for her stunt, what was not mentioned was the passionate manner in which George Brandis denounced Pauline Hanson, which had him nearly choked up towards the end of his indignant rebuttal of her reprehensible racist ignorance, and which also brought a standing ovation by members of the Greens and Labor party's in the Senate, the government's sworn opposition.

As they say, this was as interesting a turn up for the books witnessed in the Parliament in many a long day and hopefully it leads to a targetted smackdown that gets Hanson the boot. Unfortunately, she may understand her electorate all too well and in the alternate reality of social media News, her hardcore followers will have already interpreted her stunt as being a victory.
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 17:51
    I don't think there's anything wrong with mocking or joking about other people's religious beliefs.

Banning a piece of clothing, though, is stupid. And anyone who thinks it's a good idea deserves to be mocked, shamed, pointed at and laughed at.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 18:08
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    It's called Nimbin. Head to Byron Bay and then turn inland. Drive for about an hour and then stop when you see the painted VW Kombi vans or hear the drum circle being announced by a daisy chain goddess called Skye.....
    I hope they have money🙂
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 20:34
    Three of my relatives who were born in 1960s Australia were expelled along with
    their legally arrived parents on account of the White Australia immigration policy.

UK Prime Minister Thatcher argued that the UK could be 'swamped' by Chinese immigrants
    from Hong Kong, so the UK's laws were altered to prevent that 'calamity'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Nationality_Act_1981

"Critics argued that one of the main political motivations behind the new law was to deny
    most Hong Kong-born ethnic Chinese the right of residency in the United Kingdom."

The UK made a few exceptions for the richest Chinese or Chinese women married to British men.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 20:401 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse to Mchill
    So because you feel D is racist and such, that makes it ok for an ultra right winger to mock a religion like that? Myself, I want freedom FROM religion not freedom OF relgion but I would never mock people like that. If I was living in Australia, I personally would want to get away from ALL the religious nuts extant and find my own community of like minded folks, preferably musicians🙂
    Mchill's a racist troll and a pathological liar with an obsessive hatred of me.

*If* you, Sonhouse, believe that I have racist hatred of all white people, then you are even
    more of a fool than I had thought. As I already have said, I have been loved by a few
    white women who, usually having no children of their own, liked to treat me almost as
    if I were their own child. And I loved my white 'aunts' too.

By the way, Pauline Hanson's not particularly religious (as my cited article would inform you).
    She likes to attack Islam and Muslims in order to exploit popular bigotry against them.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 21:02
    Some of Australia's heroes of the First World War were of Chinese ancestry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Sing

Billy Sing (who had a Chinese father and an English mother) is the most famous sniper in Australian history.
    During the Gallipoli campaign, Billy Sing earned a reputation as the greatest of the ANZAC snipers.
    One general remarked that if every Allied soldier could fight like Billy Sing, the Allies would soon win the campaign.
    Unfortunately, Billy Sing evidently never could fully recover from his war wounds (including being gassed),
    and he suffered from serious health problems before dying in obscurity and poverty.

The Australian Army awards a Billy Sing trophy to honour its best snipers today.

""Billy Sing is a symbol of the long history of Chinese in Australia, and the great role they
    have played in your nation's past ... It also reminds us that China and Australia were
    allies through both world wars, and that we have a long and proud shared past."
    --Ren Gongping (Chinese diplomat in Australia)

An Australian television miniseries about Billy Sing's life decided to show Billy Sing
    and his father--inaccurately and misleadingly--as white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Shang

"Caleb James Shang, DCM & Bar, MM .. was the most highly decorated Chinese Australian
    soldier who served in the First World War. ... He served with distinction on the Western Front,
    primarily as a scout and sniper, until his wounds rendered him unfit for further duties."

Apparently disabled by his war wounds, Caleb Shang encountered some racism
    (though he married a white woman) when he returned to civilian life in Australia.

"Through the early 1930s, Shang was frequently in hospital.
    From the mid-1930s, he continued to suffer from poor health."

"Shang marched in the ANZAC Day parade, complete with decorations, in April 1943.[40]
    Despite many years of active membership with the Returned Sailors and Soldiers Imperial League,
    this was the only ANZAC Day parade that he ever marched in. Shang's daughter, Delta Shang,
    stated that her normally modest father participated in the march largely as a response to
    the racism felt during World War II."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao

Australia's greatest mathematician ever (the only one to win a Fields Medal) is Terence Tao,
    a son of ethnic Chinese immigrants to Australia. He now works at UCLA in the USA.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 21:07
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Your article while factually correct omitted a bit of very important nuance of the day. Like the US the Australian Government controls the lower house so they can steamroll any legislation they want through the House of Representatives unnapposed.

The Senate is another kettle of fish entirely, and the Government has to do a lot of horsetrading to get any ...[text shortened]... l media News, her hardcore followers will have already interpreted her stunt as being a victory.
    "What was not mentioned was the passionate manner in which George Brandis denounced
    Pauline Hanson, which had him nearly choked up towards the end of his indignant rebuttal
    of her reprehensible racist ignorance, and which also brought a standing ovation by
    members of the Greens and Labor party's in the Senate."
    --Kmax87

In fact, my cited article *did* mention that there was a 'standing ovation' in the Senate.
    (I usually don't bother to quote every word in my cited articles.)
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 21:244 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "What was not mentioned was the passionate manner in which George Brandis denounced
    Pauline Hanson, which had him nearly choked up towards the end of his indignant rebuttal
    of her reprehensible racist ignorance, and which also brought a standing ovation by
    members of the Greens and Labor party's in the Senate."
    --Kmax87

In fact, my cited article ...[text shortened]... ding ovation' in the Senate.
    (I usually don't bother to quote every word in my cited articles.)
    I must admit that I have never really found the national security argument very convincing.

On the other hand the garment itself clearly is intended to defeminise women and as a consequence treats her not as an individual but as an object to be covered up like some piece of movable chattel! Furthermore as someone who used to live with Afghani's and Patan's (the predominant ethnic group in Peshawar and the NWFP (A province in the North West of Pakistan) I learned that there is no compelling text in the Koran which states that a women should be covered in such a manner, simply that she should be modestly attired. It therefore makes the burka an expression of religious extremism.

Islam is not a race, its a religion.