Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 00:35
    https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/msespn-pulls-asian-announcer-named-robert-lee-off-uva-game-avoid-offending-idiots/

"MSESPN Pulls Asian Announcer Named Robert Lee Off UVa Game To Avoid Offending Idiots"

"ESPN ISSUES OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON MOVING ROBERT LEE FROM VIRGINIA GAME:
    We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games as the
    tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the
    coincidence of his name. In that moment it felt right to all parties.
    It’s a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that
    who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue.”

"MSESPN decided to pull an Asian college football announcer named Robert Lee
    off the William and Mary at University of Virginia college football game because
    they were concerned that having an ASIAN FOOTBALL ANNOUNCER
    NAMED ROBERT LEE would be offensive to some viewers."

"But, seriously, is there anything more pathetic than ESPN believing
    people would be offended by an Asian guy named Robert Lee sharing
    a name with Robert E. Lee and calling a football game?"

"I’m sorry you work for such an idiotic company, Robert Lee."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/23/media/espn-robert-lee-uva-game/index.html

"Robert Lee: ESPN under fire for taking announcer off UVA game."

"By trying to avoid an embarrassing ordeal, ESPN has embarrassed itself.
    On Tuesday night, the network confirmed that its management moved an
    Asian-American announcer, Robert Lee, off the University of Virginia's
    home opener football game "simply because of the coincidence of his name.""

"From ESPN's perspective, the executives were trying to guard against Lee
    becoming a punchline, given that he shares a name with a Confederate general.
    They foresaw memes and headlines "Robert Lee marches into Charlottesville.""

"But many commenters on social media said ESPN overreacted.
    The story lit up Twitter and Facebook on Tuesday."
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 00:42
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/espn-did-something-silly-lets-hope-they-learn-from_us_599dec95e4b0a62d0987ac87

"ESPN Did Something Silly - Let’s Hope They Learn From It"

"I mean, I know we are living in sensitive times, but there’s no way anybody could think an
    Asian broadcaster born more than a century after the civil war ended could evoke a problem
    announcing a football game just because his name was similar to a Confederate General, right?

Apparently, I was wrong. Amazingly, the story WAS true and ESPN even issues a statement about it,
    claiming they were afraid people would have made fun of the name similarity on social media.
    Seriously? That’s a reason for switching an announcer’s assignment? We are now at the
    point where fear of social media jokes is legitimate in this context? Good Lord."
  3. Subscriberjoe shmo
    Strange Egg
    podunk, PA
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 00:46
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/espn-did-something-silly-lets-hope-they-learn-from_us_599dec95e4b0a62d0987ac87

"ESPN Did Something Silly - Let’s Hope They Learn From It"

"I mean, I know we are living in sensitive times, but there’s no way anybody could think an
    Asian broadcaster born more than a century after the civil war ended could evoke a p ...[text shortened]... now at the
    point where fear of social media jokes is legitimate in this context? Good Lord."
    What are your own thoughts on the matter Duchess?
  4. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 00:541 edit
    The lefties at thier finest
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 01:14
    Originally posted by @joe-shmo
    What are your own thoughts on the matter Duchess?
    ESPN's wrong. It's very hard for men (even harder than for women) of Asian heritage to
    succeed in American television, so Robert Lee really has no say about that decision.

Would a sports announcer named 'William Sherman' be stopped from working in South Carolina?
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 01:17
    ESPN = Extremely Stupid Progressive Network
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 01:202 edits
    ESPN's wrong. It's very hard for men (even harder than for women) of Asian heritage to
    succeed in American television, so Robert Lee really has no say about that decision.

Would a sports announcer named 'William Sherman' be stopped from working in South Carolina?
    So if this Robert Lee was a white male, ESPN's decision would be non-objectionable in your opinion?

It's an extraordinary situation and I don't blame ESPN. The announcer got another game that same day and it didn't cost him a penny. In fact, it will probably help his part-time broadcasting career (at present he does about a dozen college basketball and football games for ESPN and is an announcer for Siena basketball games).
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 01:342 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    So if this Robert Lee was a white male, ESPN's decision would be non-objectionable in your opinion?

It's an extraordinary situation and I don't blame ESPN. The announcer got another game that same day and it didn't cost him a penny.
    "So if this Robert Lee was a white male, ESPN's decision would be non-objectionable in your opinion?"
    --No1Marauder

No1Marauder keeps showing his abysmal reading comprehension and powers of inference.
    ESPN's decision was wrong regardless of the 'race' of the announcer.
    My guess is that *if* Robert Lee were a *more prominent* white or black sports announcer,
    ESPN would have thought harder about its decision. But this Robert Lee's a 'nobody' in television.
    Who would care if ESPN decided to terminate Robert Lee for any given reason?

What I wrote is true about Asians encountering stereotypical barriers in American television.
    (The anti-Asian racist No1Marauder presumably would like to keep it that way.)

"The announcer got another game that same day and it didn't cost him a penny."
    --No1Marauder

'Separate but equal', right? Why would transferring an underrepresented minority member
    from a higher profile position to a lower profile position possibly interest No1Marauder?
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 01:372 edits
    "So if this Robert Lee was a white male, ESPN's decision would be non-objectionable in your opinion?"
    --No1Marauder

No1Marauder keeps showing his abysmal reading comprehension and powers of inference.
    ESPN's decision was wrong regardless of the 'race' of the announcer.
    My guess is that *if* Robert Lee were a *more prominent* white or black sports a ...[text shortened]... ember
    from a higher profile position to a lower profile position possibly interest No1Marauder?
    Going from a University of Virginia game to a Pittsburgh game is probably a promotion esp. for an announcer from the Northeast (he lives and has a full time job in my area and his main sports announcing gig i.e. announcing basketball games for Siena - is in upstate New York).

Your extreme ignorance of American sports is on full display, Duchy. Pitt and Virginia play in the same conference; last year Pitt went 8-4 and went to a bowl game (that's good in case you don't know), while Virginia was 2-10 and was the worst team in the ACC (that's the Atlantic Coast Conference, a college football league in case you don't know).
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 01:45
    Going from a University of Virginia game to a Pittsburgh game is probably a promotion esp. for an announcer from the Northeast (he lives and has a full time job in my area and his main sports announcing gig i.e. announcing basketball games for Siena - is in upstate New York).

Your extreme ignorance of American sports is on full display, Duchy.
    "Going from a University of Virginia game to a Pittsburgh game is probably a promotion ..."
    --No1Marauder

Does No1Marauder claim to know what Robert Lee *really* thinks about it?
    Who knows whether Robert Lee was looking forward to working at the University of Virginia,
    perhaps even relishing the historical irony of his name being similar to Robert E Lee's?
    (Asians can have a sense of humor, including sometimes even about racism.)
    At this time, of course, Robert Lee must be careful not to criticize his employer in public.
    After all, who would care if ESPN decided to terminate Robert Lee for any given reason?

There's a long history of arrogant white men telling women and non-white people that
    they should be grateful for their work assignments as ordered by their white male bosses.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 01:551 edit

Your extreme ignorance of American sports is on full display, Duchy. Pitt a ...[text shortened]... he ACC (that's the Atlantic Coast Conference, a college football league in case you don't know).
    "Your extreme ignorance of American sports is on full display, Duchy."
    --No1Marauder

Another exaggeration by No1Marauder. I am at least as well--informed about some,
    though not all, American sports as many American fans. I don't follow college football.

" ... while Virginia was 2-10 and was the worst team in the ACC."
    --No1Marauder

No1Marauder seems to be attempting the absurd argument that being assigned to announce
    the game of a team with a bad last season is somehow demeaning. It depends upon the team.
    Although a famous team like Notre Dame has had losing seasons, I doubt that any sports
    announcer would feel demeaned by being asked to announce its games in any season.

What No1Marauder fails to mention is the *possibility* that, on account of the recent political
    events there, there would be *extra attention now* upon a game at the University of Virginia
    rather than one elsewhere.
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 01:57
    "Going from a University of Virginia game to a Pittsburgh game is probably a promotion ..."
    --No1Marauder

Does No1Marauder claim to know what Robert Lee *really* thinks about it?
    Who knows whether Robert Lee was looking forward to working at the University of Virginia,
    perhaps even relishing the historical irony of his name being similar to Robert ...[text shortened]... that
    they should be grateful for their work assignments as ordered by their white male bosses.
    Do you claim to know what Robert Lee thinks about it? I gave objective reasons why doing the Pitt game would be considered a "promotion" and anyone not sharing your extreme ignorance of American sports would understand them.

Despite your falling for the right wing propaganda line here, ESPN said the decision was "mutual":

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/900219648473522178
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 01:59
    "Your extreme ignorance of American sports is on full display, Duchy."
    --No1Marauder

Another exaggeration by No1Marauder. I am at least as well--informed about some,
    though not all, American sports as many American fans. I don't follow college football.

" ... while Virginia was 2-10 and was the worst team in the ACC."
    --No1Marauder

No1Mara ...[text shortened]... would be *extra attention* upon a game at the University of Virginia
    rather than one elsewhere.
    If you know anything about US college football (and you don't), you'd know that Pitt is a much higher regarded program than Virginia.
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 02:04
    For a dissenting opinion from yours and the right wing rabble rousers:

While this national conversation continues, ESPN decided to avoid evoking the chaos during a live broadcast. Robert Lee decided he just wanted to do his job, which is to broadcast a livestream of a college football game. As one ESPN executive told me Wednesday:
    "Let's not go to the zoo if we don't have to go to the zoo."
    Good call. Life is crazy enough already.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/23/opinions/espn-robert-lee-charlottesville-jones-opinion/index.html
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    24 Aug '17 02:06
    Do you claim to know what Robert Lee thinks about it? I gave objective reasons why doing the Pitt game would be considered a "promotion" and anyone not sharing your extreme ignorance of American sports would understand them.

Despite your falling for the right wing propaganda line here, ESPN said the decision was "mutual":

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/900219648473522178
    Many things don't become true just because the arrogant No1Marauder likes to say so.
    No1Marauder seems willfully blind to racism against Asians in American public life.

"Despite your falling for the right wing propaganda line here ..."
    --No1Marauder

In this thread, I have quoted CNN and the Huffington Post as being critical of ESPN.
    Does No1Marauder regard CNN and the Huffington Post as 'right-wing propaganda' sources?

"... ESPN said the decision was "mutual"".
    --No1Marauder

Like all the 'mutual' decisions between Roger Ailes and the many women whom he
    allegedly sexually harassed at the Fox News Channel?

What does No1Marauder believe would have happened to Robert Lee if he had disagreed with his employer?
    Or if Robert Lee had dared to criticize ESPN in public?

My point is the inequality in power between ESPN and Robert Lee in this 'mutual' decision.