Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 May '17 08:13
    Originally posted by vivify
    Who said anything about interviewing them? I didn't.
    My apologies, I misread it.

Still you post still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You were supposedly giving an example of presenting 'both sides' to a story and 'balancing out the facts' but then subsequently claimed that there was only one fact and despite presenting the views you were reporting on, you would declare them wrong and that there was no bias in doing so. The whole post doesn't seem to address what you were responding to at all.

You apparently need to Google the word "bias", since you apparently don't know what it means. This is the second time you need it explained to you that simply stating something factually accurate isn't bias, because there's no unfairness in the act.

Honestly. This must be how world leaders feel when they explain things to Trump.

And, yet another dodge.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 May '17 15:39
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My apologies, I misread it.

Still you post still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You were supposedly giving an example of presenting 'both sides' to a story and 'balancing out the facts' but then subsequently claimed that there was only one fact and despite presenting the views you were reporting on, you would declare them wrong and that there was n ...[text shortened]... s must be how world leaders feel when they explain things to Trump.

And, yet another dodge.[/b]
    Reporting without bias simply means not inserting one's opinion or personal views; one example, is your assertion that flat-earth believers are "stupid". Facts are not a matter of opinion, and reporting that flat-earth theory is factually incorrect isn't bias.

Why not just admit you don't understand what "bias" means? It will make this discussion must simpler.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 May '17 17:07
    Reporting without bias simply means not inserting one's opinion or personal views; one example, is your assertion that flat-earth believers are "stupid". Facts are not a matter of opinion, and reporting that flat-earth theory is factually incorrect isn't bias.
    What it is a matter of fact that flat earthers are stupid?
    I still think you have failed to give a reasonable explanation as to why you thought that example had any real relevance to what you were responding to.

Why not just admit you don't understand what "bias" means? It will make this discussion must simpler.
    Oh, I know what it means. I just don't agree that with you on what its meaning is. You are biased.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 May '17 17:28
    What it is a matter of fact that flat earthers are stupid?
    I still think you have failed to give a reasonable explanation as to why you thought that example had any real relevance to what you were responding to.

[b]Why not just admit you don't understand what "bias" means? It will make this discussion must simpler.

Oh, I know what it means. I just don't agree that with you on what its meaning is. You are biased.[/b]
    Explain *your* definition of bias, then.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 May '17 17:39
    Explain *your* definition of bias, then.
    I am happy with Wikipedia. It has quite a broad meaning depending on context.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 May '17 22:57
    I am happy with Wikipedia. It has quite a broad meaning depending on context.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias
    I asked for your definition, not Wikipedia's. Are you able to state in your own words what bias is? Or do you really not know?
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 May '17 20:21
    Originally posted by vivify to TWhitehead
    I asked for your definition, not Wikipedia's. Are you able to state in your own words what bias is? Or do you really not know?
    It may be fair to criticize Twhitehead for relying upon Wikipedia rather than the Oxford Dictionary of English (OED).
    It's unfair to expect Twhitehead to write his own definition when one's available from established reference sources.

It's better for purposes of discussion for people (who are not professional lexicographers)
    *to refer to common definitions as given by authoritative dictionaries* rather than to fabricate their own definitions.

For instance, Normbenign liked to define every ideology that he professed to dislike as 'left-wing'.
    So he always referred to Hitler and the Nazis as 'left-wing'. He could not cite any definition
    of 'left-wing' from an established reference source to support his cocksure position.

When people have their own peculiar definitions of the same word and ignore the common
    definition in authoritative dictionaries, it makes meaningful discussion much more difficult.