Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    16 Apr '12 16:48 / 1 edit
    Well rich ones anyway:

Giddy over the Rosen flap: At the fundraiser, Haake adds, both Romney and his wife Ann remained absolutely giddy about last week’s Hilary Rosen flap. "It was my early birthday present for someone to be critical of me as a mother, and that was really a defining moment, and I loved it," Ann Romney said. The candidate went further, calling the episode a "gift" that allowed his campaign to show contrast with Democrats in the general election's first week. But while Romney said last week that “all moms are working moms,” that doesn’t apply to mothers who are welfare recipients, the Boston Globe says. Romney said at a Jan. 4 campaign stop in Manchester, N.H.: “Even if you have a child two years of age, you need to go to work,” Romney describing his position as Massachusetts governor. “And people said, ‘Well that’s heartless,’ and I said ‘No, no, I’m willing to spend more giving daycare to allow those parents to go back to work. It’ll cost the state more providing that daycare, but I want the individuals to have the dignity of work.’”

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/16/11225309-first-thoughts-romneys-own-hot-mic-moment?lite
  2. 16 Apr '12 17:42
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Well rich ones anyway:

Giddy over the Rosen flap: At the fundraiser, Haake adds, both Romney and his wife Ann remained absolutely giddy about last week’s Hilary Rosen flap. "It was my early birthday present for someone to be critical of me as a mother, and that was really a defining moment, and I loved it," Ann Romney said. The candidate ...[text shortened]... read.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/16/11225309-first-thoughts-romneys-own-hot-mic-moment?lite
    The downside of Mitt Romney is his upside. Every time he opens his mouth his is telling a lie and the truth. Many people are not as stupid as CNN or Fox viewers so they grokked in fullness the meaning imparted by Hilary Rosen and sanctified by Romney's previous comments. Unfortunately for him, statements by Romney carry no weight. It is easy to find him on tape expounding at length on any side of any issue. Romney is the guy on the ball team that plays only for his own stats and his next contract and nobody likes that guy. This election will prove whether we have reached Idiocracy. What are the odds in Vegas?
  3. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    16 Apr '12 18:25
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    The downside of Mitt Romney is his upside. Every time he opens his mouth his is telling a lie and the truth. Many people are not as stupid as CNN or Fox viewers so they grokked in fullness the meaning imparted by Hilary Rosen and sanctified by Romney's previous comments. Unfortunately for him, statements by Romney carry no weight. It is easy to find him ...[text shortened]... at guy. This election will prove whether we have reached Idiocracy. What are the odds in Vegas?
    Obama is about a 2:1 favorite. http://www.politicalbettingodds.com/2012-us-presidential-election-odds.html
  4. 17 Apr '12 10:44
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    The downside of Mitt Romney is his upside. Every time he opens his mouth his is telling a lie and the truth. Many people are not as stupid as CNN or Fox viewers so they grokked in fullness the meaning imparted by Hilary Rosen and sanctified by Romney's previous comments. Unfortunately for him, statements by Romney carry no weight. It is easy to find him ...[text shortened]... at guy. This election will prove whether we have reached Idiocracy. What are the odds in Vegas?
    You haven't said anything about Romney that you couldn't say about any other politician, including our president.
  5. 17 Apr '12 12:40
    Well rich ones anyway:

Giddy over the Rosen flap: At the fundraiser, Haake adds, both Romney and his wife Ann remained absolutely giddy about last week’s Hilary Rosen flap. "It was my early birthday present for someone to be critical of me as a mother, and that was really a defining moment, and I loved it," Ann Romney said. The candidate ...[text shortened]... read.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/16/11225309-first-thoughts-romneys-own-hot-mic-moment?lite
    Aside from the fact that I have yet to hear one American speak up for Romney, which I suppose is a bad thing, Is there nothing positive about what he is saying here.

He seems to be claiming that if elected he would ensure that the state would provide the childcare which would enable poorer women to go out into the world of work rather than be stuck in the home on welfare.

The fact that he sucked up to women who can chose not to work for economic reasons does not make him any more two faced than the average man in the street. let alone the average politician.

Living in Britain I will not be voting in the Presidential election but if I could I would either vote Obama or possibly not bother, however what Romney is advocating here seems to be something us left of center voters over here would get quite excited about, and we are not easily excited.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Apr '12 13:27
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Aside from the fact that I have yet to hear one American speak up for Romney, which I suppose is a bad thing, Is there nothing positive about what he is saying here.

He seems to be claiming that if elected he would ensure that the state would provide the childcare which would enable poorer women to go out into the world of work rather than be stuck in th ...[text shortened]... s left of center voters over here would get quite excited about, and we are not easily excited.
    I would gladly speak up for Romney, whom I look at as a politician very similar to Obama except with considerably more business and economic experience, but, like you, I really don't see anything at all to get worked up about in this case.

I'm not in love with the idea of the government paying for daycare, but it's not the worst idea I've ever heard either. Using that position to claim a flip-flop from his statement that moms who stay at home also work hard seems to me like classic "gotcha" politics with little substance.
  7. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    17 Apr '12 16:41 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    .....I'm not in love with the idea of the government paying for daycare, but it's not the worst idea I've ever heard either. Using that position to claim a flip-flop from his statement that moms who stay at home also work hard seems to me like classic "gotcha" politics with little substance.
    Unfortunately gotcha seems the only real substance of modern day campaigns. Fear of alienating bases, steers a middle ground controversy free platform, where talking in generalities and avoiding the pitfalls of taking too definite a stand on any complex issue the only rule of play. Man with fewest gaffes left standing wins!

Oh and throw as much mud as is possible...

....but you already know that.... you do live there, don't you...
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    17 Apr '12 19:37
    I would gladly speak up for Romney, whom I look at as a politician very similar to Obama except with considerably more business and economic experience, but, like you, I really don't see anything at all to get worked up about in this case.

I'm not in love with the idea of the government paying for daycare, but it's not the worst idea I've ever heard either. ...[text shortened]... y at home also work hard seems to me like classic "gotcha" politics with little substance.
    His statements are logically irreconcilable and show his class bias. He wants poor women with two year old children to enjoy the "dignity of work" while insisting his own wife was "working" when she raised the kids and being outraged that anybody would suggest differently. The wisdom of forcing the mothers of young children to "work" (since, unlike Mrs. Romney their raising of kids isn't "work" isn't really the issue.

Of course, it was Romney's campaign that initially played "gotcha" with the statement from the Obama operative.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    17 Apr '12 19:41
    Originally posted by kevcvs57

He seems to be claiming that if elected he would ensure that the state would provide the childcare which would enable poorer women to go out into the world of work rather than be stuck in th ...[text shortened]... s left of center voters over here would get quite excited about, and we are not easily excited.
    Forcing women with young children into the workplace is "something us left of center voters over here would get quite excited about"? You're more "easily excited" than you think; the proposal wasn't merely to provide day care services for those who wanted them but couldn't afford it, it was to affirmatively force women with small children to work or lose the meager government benefits that are grudgingly doled out.
  10. 17 Apr '12 19:44
    Do moms who have a nanny and a maid count as working moms? Just wondering.
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    17 Apr '12 19:48
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Do moms who have a nanny and a maid count as working moms? Just wondering.
    Especially them.
  12. 17 Apr '12 19:57

I'm not in love with the idea of the government paying for daycare, but it's not the worst idea I've ever heard either. ...[text shortened]... y at home also work hard seems to me like classic "gotcha" politics with little substance.
    I think the "gotcha" part is Romney's claim that his own wife has no dignity.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Apr '12 21:22
    His statements are logically irreconcilable and show his class bias. He wants poor women with two year old children to enjoy the "dignity of work" while insisting his own wife was "working" when she raised the kids and being outraged that anybody would suggest differently. The wisdom of forcing the mothers of young children to "work" (since, unlike Mrs. ...[text shortened]... ampaign that initially played "gotcha" with the statement from the Obama operative.
    Yes, both campaigns play gotcha rather than address the issues. That's an unfortunate feature of American politics these days.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    17 Apr '12 21:32
    Yes, both campaigns play gotcha rather than address the issues. That's an unfortunate feature of American politics these days.
    Why do you think Romney's "considerably more business and economic experience" is relevant but his obvious and blatant class bias is not? Why is it OK for him to act outraged when someone says his wife hasn't worked at a job but then champion policies which will force poor women with young children to do so because they need "the dignity of work"?
  15. 17 Apr '12 23:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by dryhump
    You haven't said anything about Romney that you couldn't say about any other politician, including our president.
    Bull. If it makes you feel better then bask in that fantasy.