Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Nov '12 14:56
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/10/mitt-romney-in-2011-we-cannot-afford-federal-disaster-relief/264206/

Mitt Romney said America shouldn't be in the business of providing federal disaster relief and that it would be better for the Federal Emergency Management Agency's functions to be handled by individual states or even the private sector.

Queried directly on the topic by CNN's John King during the June 13, 2011 Republican presidential primary debate at Saint Anselm College in Manchester, New Hampshire, Romney said the federal government "cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids."

Wow. Thank goodness this guy wasn't president during hurricane Sandy.
  2. 03 Nov '12 16:16
    How many days did those people have to get out of town?

Just saying.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    03 Nov '12 16:20
    Originally posted by Eladar
    How many days did those people have to get out of town?

Just saying.
    How many days did they have to sort out bringing their houses and infrastructure with them?
  4. 03 Nov '12 16:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    How many days did they have to sort out bringing their houses and infrastructure with them?
    You worry about that kind of stuff later.

First you get yourself and your children to safety. After that you worry about clean up. Your insurance will cover the expenses of your personal property, the local government covers mass clean up of streets and such.

There is such a thing as personal responsibility which seems to me is dearly lacking in this country. If you live near the ocean at near sea level and you know that a huge storm is coming, you might want to consider moving to higher ground. These people had days to clear out, but chose not to.
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    03 Nov '12 16:33
    You worry about that kind of stuff later.

First you get yourself and your children to safety.
    In the days leading up to the storms, weren't there said to be - potentially - 60,000,000 affected by it? They should have all "got out of town"?
  6. 03 Nov '12 16:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    In the days leading up to the storms, weren't there said to be - potentially - 60,000,000 affected by it? They should have all "got out of town"?
    There are high risk areas and not so high risk areas. Those who lived in high risk areas should have cleared out. Those who didn't should take personal responsibility for their actions.
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    03 Nov '12 16:44
    There are high risk areas and not so high risk areas. Those who lived in high risk areas should have cleared out. Those who didn't should take personal responsibility for their actions.
    How many millions of people do you think ought to have "got out of town:?
  8. 03 Nov '12 16:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    How many millions of people do you think ought to have "got out of town:?
    How many live in high risk areas?

A better function of goverment (if you think the government should be used for such things) would be to provide means of max exodus for those who want to get out of town.

Of course people also choose to live where they live. If they choose to live in high density locations that make it impossible to get out in bad situations, move to another location.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    03 Nov '12 16:55
    How many live in high risk areas?
    Yes. That's what my question was asking you. In the days leading up to the storm how many millions of people in the north east U.S. would have been subject to your advice to "get out of town"?
  10. 03 Nov '12 16:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. That's what my question was asking you. In the days leading up to the storm how many millions of people in the north east U.S. would have been subject to your advice to "get out of town"?
    I don't know how many people live at sea level in the region. All I do know is that anyone who wanted to leave could have left. There was no mass exodus. The people who are there chose to stay.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    03 Nov '12 17:03
    I don't know how many people live at sea level in the region. All I do know is that anyone who wanted to leave could have left. There was no mass exodus. The people who are there chose to stay.
    So was Romney right?
  12. 03 Nov '12 17:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    So was Romney right?
    That we live in a country where people don't want to take responsibility and want to depend on the goverment which in the end nobody can afford?

Yes, I'd say that's right. We need to change the mindset of this country, but I'm afraid people won't change until they hit rock bottom. The country will have to go bankrupt and we'll have to suffer the consequences before people will realize that there is no such thing as a free lunch.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    03 Nov '12 17:14
    That we live in a country where people don't want to take responsibility and want to depend on the goverment which in the end nobody can afford? Yes, I'd say that's right.
    Is that what Romney said?
  14. 03 Nov '12 17:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is that what Romney said?
    Yes, I believe that is the spirit of what he said. The Federal government is too big and too wasteful. Power corrupts so if you disperse the power you lower lessen the corruption.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    03 Nov '12 17:24
    Yes, I believe that is the spirit of what he said. The Federal government is too big and too wasteful. Power corrupts so if you disperse the power you lower lessen the corruption.
    I don't see how helping people after a catastrophic natural disaster is a "waste of money". When you say "We need to change the mindset of this country", do you mean that people in your country need to think helping people in the wake of a calamity like this is a "waste of money"?