Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    24 Jun '18 23:00
    The self-pitying racist Roseanne Barr attempts 'damage control'.
    Is it the best shot that her public relations advisers can think of?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/roseanne-barr-breaks-down-while-170007543.html

"Roseanne Barr Breaks Down While Explaining Her Racist Tweet: 'I've Lost Everything'"

"...the 65-year-old comedian reflected on her Jewish values."

The "Jews cannot be racist" argument has been tried with some success among Americans.

"I apologize to anyone who felt offended ..."

Another "if you were offended" pseudo-apology.
    Note that Barr did not concede that her tweet was offensive or racist.
    She might as well be complaining about oversensitivity to her tweet.

"She also said she didn't know Jarrett was a black woman." ...

How convincing is Roseanne Barr pleading ignorance?
    Would she like to pretend that she also did not know that Susan Rice
    (whom Barr also abused years ago) is a black woman?

""I never would have wittingly called any black person… say they are a monkey."
    --Roseanne Barr

Apparently, Barr regards it as acceptable to use her same words toward
    a non-black minority woman, say, an Iranian woman. who may be called
    a 'monkey' with much less risk to Barr's career.

Barr claims that she loves African Americans.
    (What I loathe even more than a racist is a dishonest racist.)
    I doubt that Barr would claim that she loves Muslims because there's no
    political necessity for that lie and it would undermine her among her base.

Barr tried her 'Ambien made me do it' excuse again, though not as forcefully as earlier.

Barr complained that many people who don't really know her are hating her.
    As far as I can infer, Roseanne Barr feels truly sorry for no one except herself.
  2. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    24 Jun '18 23:321 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/roseanne-barr-breaks-down-while-170007543.html

"Roseanne Barr Breaks Down While Explaining Her Racist Tweet: 'I've Lost Everything'"

"...the 65-year-old comedian reflected on he ...[text shortened]... e hating her.
    As far as I can infer, Roseanne Barr feels truly sorry for no one except herself.
    So, how is that you discern, oh wise one...an honest racist from a dishonest one?

By skin tone or country of origin?
    Or do you just consult your local oracle or astrological guide?

Perhaps you've established a secret relationship with Yoda? Oh my.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 03:51

"...the 65-year-old comedian reflected on he ...[text shortened]... e hating her.
    What exactly did she say that was considered racist? All I remember is that it was about the Muslim Brotherhood and some comparison to an ape or something.
  4. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 04:35
    We are all apes according to establishment science, so... what's the big deal?
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 05:02
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    So, how is that you discern, oh wise one...an honest racist from a dishonest one?

By skin tone or country of origin?
    Or do you just consult your local oracle or astrological guide?

Perhaps you've established a secret relationship with Yoda? Oh my.
    Fishhead111 (who wrote under several different names) was a notorious
    white American racist here, now banned by RHP

On at least one occasion that I recall, Fishhead111 explicitly admitted that he's a racist.
    All the other writers who agreed with or supported Fishhead111's racist posts
    about all the time kept denying that they were racists.
    Fishhead111 was less dishonest than his racist supporters .

Fishhead111 was a comparatively honest racist, and so I have a bit
    of respect for him that I don't have for the racist writers here who
    agreed with his racist posts while fanatically denying their own racism.
  6. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 05:21
    Fishhead111 (who wrote under several different names) was a notorious
    white American racist here, now banned by RHP

On at least one occasion that I recall, Fishhead111 explicitly admitted that he's a racist.
    All the other writers who agreed with or supported Fishhead111's racist posts
    about all the time kept denying that they were racists.
    Fish ...[text shortened]... acist writers here who
    agreed with his racist posts while fanatically denying their own racism.
    Fishhead111 was a comparatively honest racist, and so I have a bit of respect for him that I don't have for the racist writers here who agreed with his racist posts while fanatically denying their own racism.

Duchess - I hesitate to bring this up, but racism has been around since the dawn of civilization, you'll find it in every nation in the world in one form or another. If I may suggest, you seem obsessed with this subject. Why? Have you been physically abused? Has your livelihood been adversely affected by racist actions of others?
  7. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 05:57
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    You know what you're twisting and why.
    Bloody cracker.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 05:58
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Fishhead111 was a comparatively honest racist, and so I have a bit of respect for him that I don't have for the racist writers here who agreed with his racist posts while fanatically denying their own racism.

Duchess - I hesitate to bring this up, but racism has been around since the dawn of civilization, you'll find it in every nation in the world in one ...[text shortened]... been physically abused? Has your livelihood been adversely affected by racist actions of others?
    Even some diverse white writers have observed that this forum is
    overrun by many overt racists, routinely spewing racist propaganda.

I would write less about racism in a place that was less poisoned by racism.
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 06:04

There's nothing wrong with racism.
    We all know that Scot-Dutch cross breeds are superior on every level.

It's time for people to accept the truth.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 07:19
    Isn't it ironic that we have neanderthal DNA and Africans don't?

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 08:231 edit
    the big deal is, put in terms simple enough for you to ignore, that whites weren't systematically oppressed in the US, as a group, and called, among other terms, monkeys. Many times preceding a beating or worse, a lynching.

You are oblivious to anything that doesn't concern your ass in particularly, with the empathy of an avalanche, so don't feel obligated to respond to this.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 11:151 edit
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    the big deal is, put in terms simple enough for you to ignore, that whites weren't systematically oppressed in the US, as a group, and called, among other terms, monkeys. Many times preceding a beating or worse, a lynching.

You are oblivious to anything that doesn't concern your ass in particularly, with the empathy of an avalanche, so don't feel obligated to respond to this.
    There certainly was racism in the case of my heritage, Irish, you may remember 'No Irish need apply'. 'They make good cops but not much else' 'they are known drunkards' and the like.
    All that was the result of the potato famines where literally millions of Irish came to the US and began to take traditional jobs away from the other whiteys here. If it was only a thousand or so coming here, there would have been no such bias.
    So in our case (Irish) it was due to the vast numbers of Irish immigrants.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 12:15
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    There certainly was racism in the case of my heritage, Irish, you may remember 'No Irish need apply'. 'They make good cops but not much else' 'they are known drunkards' and the like.
    All that was the result of the potato famines where literally millions of Irish came to the US and began to take traditional jobs away from the other whiteys here. If it was ...[text shortened]... been no such bias.
    So in our case (Irish) it was due to the vast numbers of Irish immigrants.
    "There certainly was racism in the case of my heritage, Irish, you may remember 'No Irish need apply'. 'They make good cops but not much else' 'they are known drunkards' and the like. "
    one group of whites for a much smaller period and nowhere near what the blacks endured.

"All that was the result of the potato famines where literally millions of Irish came to the US and began to take traditional jobs away from the other whiteys here"
    millions of Irish came to the US. millions of africans were BROUGHT to Americas (aboutt 300 000 to the US but the number is not relevant to the point). came vs brought is a big distinction.

take jobs vs work in slavery is also a big distinction

"take jobs away" also always means "unscrupulous business owners take advantage of desperate workers willing to work for starvation wages". and the majority always gets mad at the poor workers instead of the employers.

also compare when those Irish were integrated into american society vs when the blacks were. compare when they got the right to vote vs when blacks did. compare how long "Irish apartheid" lasted vs jim crow laws.

I have no idea what you tried to communicate with the "well the Irish were oppressed too" but it sounds dangerously close to "Whites are discriminated too" which is nowhere near the level of oppression black endured, consequences felt to this day.

You are better than this, i hope, please adjust your position.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 13:22

Now that I know what she said in the context that she said it in I think she insulted the appearance of a woman who has every right to be offended. It was very insensitive of Barr, but I don't think she intended to express racism.
    I never cared for Barr because she is obnoxious and annoying, but I can say the same thing about Hitlery Clinton. If HRC can get away with insensitive comments about Gaddafi (we came we saw he died) I don't think Barr deserves to lose her job over it. All she did is a reverse version of Conan's if they mated segment but in a way that offended a woman with a pronounced brow. Once I saw a picture of that woman on the Today show this morning I was convinced it was just about appearance rather than race. She didn't help herself by pointing out she is Jewish though. Jews are often perceived as anti Arab, especially Israeli Jews.

I think she deserves the condemnation for her insulting comment about one individual, but I don't think she deserved to lose her job. I think the news media has been unfair to her by calling her tweet racist as if there is no debating it. It is an opinion, not a fact.
  15. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 13:31

A predictable response, but you've still not answered my questions. have you been physically abused? Has your livelihood been adversely affected by acts of racism?