Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber gregsflat
    William Penn's gaze
    10 Jul '11 18:58
    Curious what you folks from the United Kingdom think of Rupurt Murdock now that you realize the scum that surrounds him.
    Let's see, paid off Scotland Yard, ruined one of your oldest newspapers, hacked the phone and twitter accounts of top aides of the Royal Family.
    Back here in the states, Fox News (his empire) has not even mentioned a word.
  2. 10 Jul '11 19:02
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    Curious what you folks from the United Kingdom think of Rupurt Murdock now that you realize the scum that surrounds him.
    Let's see, paid off Scotland Yard, ruined one of your oldest newspapers, hacked the phone and twitter accounts of top aides of the Royal Family.
    thats news to me. can you provide a link?
  3. 10 Jul '11 19:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    thats news to me. can you provide a link?
    It is? All over the press here. I guess Fox News doesn't want to mention it though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14097275
  4. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    10 Jul '11 20:59
    The gutsy old battler will bounce back to defeat the elite one more time.
  5. 10 Jul '11 21:00
    Early days....many more WORMS to come out of the woodwork, what annoys me is the present crock of poloticians, whining about what a outrage it is,...........Oh Yeah?!! like they knew nothing........pathetic!!! all the scum bags in Westminster (Manderins included) are sh£"t**g it now, I hope they all forgot how to pick soap up in the showers without getting a suprise!!!!!
  6. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    10 Jul '11 21:09
    Well that's it, isn't it; I mean there will be no proof that he has anything to do with it.

But so what anyway, what's the surprise? The Government have been using the media for centuries (which is potentially the real scandal), N of the W just took it too far, abused their position and got caught.
  7. 10 Jul '11 21:27
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Well that's it, isn't it; I mean there will be no proof that he has anything to do with it.

But so what anyway, what's the surprise? The Government have been using the media for centuries (which is potentially the real scandal), N of the W just took it too far, abused their position and got caught.
    Supposedly he's shutting down the paper, but he hasn't fired any of his slimy CEOs, so basically it's the same paper being rebranded.

That's pretty typical of murdoch actually.

Definition of Left Wing Media - any medium not owned by Murdoch or the Moonies.
  8. 10 Jul '11 23:53 / 1 edit
    The News of the World was a wretched paper, and had been a wretched paper since it was founded in 1843. I feel sorry for its staff, nonetheless.

Fox News is one thing, but I was kind of heartened to note that the Murdoch-owned The Times (Britain's oldest quality daily newspaper) has led with the story over the last couple of days.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    10 Jul '11 23:59
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Fox News is one thing, but I was kind of heartened to note that the Murdoch-owned The Times (Britain's oldest quality daily newspaper) has led with the story over the last couple of days.
    When i was a kid, The Times was probably the 'paper of record'. That changed in the 1980s. Wasn't that when Murdoch bought it? What papers have a claim to be the 'paper of record' nowadays? I remember The Independent wanting to be when it launched at around the time of The Times reputational demise.
  10. 11 Jul '11 00:02 / 1 edit
    I'd wouldn't say the demise of News of the World is something to be lamented, for too long this media outlet was a despicable tabloid whose content only served to pollute minds with its incessant reportage of frivolous celebrity news and its tawdry brand of populist sensationalism, I say good riddance. The world can only benefit from its non-existence.

I suppose the incident did offer a glimpse into the extent to which Murdoch's media empire is tangled in a web of corruption, and this is something to be welcomed, however, any expection that this will seriously affect his ill-gotten fortunes or disrupt his business elsewhere would be unrealistically optimistic.
  11. 11 Jul '11 00:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    When i was a kid, The Times was probably the 'paper of record'. That changed in the 1980s. Wasn't that when Murdoch bought it? What papers have a claim to be the 'paper of record' nowadays? I remember The Independent wanting to be when it launched at around the time of The Times reputational demise.
    There isn't a paper of record nowadays; but if you rotate between the four qualities, the Guardian, Independent, Times and (very occasionally indeed) the Telegraph, you can distill a reasonably reliable insight into what's going on in the world.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Jul '11 00:22
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    I'd wouldn't say the demise of News of the World is something to be lamented, for too long this media outlet was a despicable tabloid whose content only served to pollute minds with its incessant reportage of frivolous celebrity news and its tawdry brand of populist sensationalism, I say good riddance.
    The reason the News Of The World was so successful was because so many British people like incessant reportage of frivolous celebrity news and its tawdry populist sensationalism and because advertisers were willing to pay plenty of money to reach them.
  13. 11 Jul '11 00:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    The reason the News Of The World was so successful was because so many British people like incessant reportage of frivolous celebrity news and its tawdry populist sensationalism and because advertisers were willing to pay plenty of money to reach them.
    That many British people have a lack of taste and little interest in more sophisticated and truly informative news outlets is scarcely a redeemable feature of News of the World. Good riddance I say.
  14. 11 Jul '11 00:31

I say he is just helping the government by tapping into all our media. Just call it the Murdock your a patriot act.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Jul '11 00:40
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    That many British people have a lack of taste and little interest in more sophisticated and truly informative news outlets is scarcely a redeemable feature of News of the World. Good riddance I say.
    The News of the World never made any claim to be "sophisticated", "informative" or "redeemable". It was a highly successful business and presumably the businesses who advertised in it did a roaring trade.