Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 20 Apr '17 20:12
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/20/russia-bans-jehovahs-witnesses

"Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses and labels group as extremists:
    Religious organization can no longer operate in country, supreme court rules.
    Headquarters and local chapters ordered to close and property will be seized."

"Russia’s supreme court has banned the Jehovah’s Witnesses from
    operating in the country, accepting a request from the justice ministry
    that the religious organization be considered an extremist group.
    The court ordered the closure of the group’s Russia headquarters and
    its 395 local chapters, as well as the seizure of its property.

The Interfax news agency on Thursday quoted justice ministry attorney
    Svetlana Borisova in court as saying that the Jehovah’s Witnesses
    “pose a threat to the rights of the citizens, public order and public security”.
    Borisova also said Jehovah’s Witnesses’ opposition to blood transfusions violates
    Russian healthcare laws."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2017/mar/09/in-russia-the-persecution-of-jehovahs-witnesses-begins-all-over-again

"In Russia, the persecution of Jehovah’s Witnesses begins all over again."
    --Giles Fraser

Giles Fraser apparently objects to 'anti-terror legislation' aimed at
    repressing Muslims being turned against Jehovah's Witnesses.
  2. 20 Apr '17 22:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/20/russia-bans-jehovahs-witnesses

"Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses and labels group as extremists:
    Religious organization can no longer operate in country, supreme court rules.
    Headquarters and local chapters ordered to close and property will be seized."

"Russia’s supreme court has banned the Jehovah’s Wi ...[text shortened]... anti-terror legislation' aimed at
    repressing Muslims being turned against Jehovah's Witnesses.
    His statement is histrionically factual, we have been under a ban before in Russia. Were subject to horrendous treatment by Stalin, shipped off to Siberia in droves and our children sent for 're-education'. The brothers in Russia will know how to deal with it.
  3. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    21 Apr '17 04:12
    I reckon calling them extremist is a bit strange.
    Cult-like, yeah; misled, yeah, but calling them extremist makes you wonder what-the-hell "extremist" actually means.

Then again, if Russia is banning them, then that means that it's part if God's plan to be banned from Russia... just sayin'.
    And I certainly hope they're not looking for a Satanic organisation such as the UN to speak up for them.
    Just sayin' that too.
  4. 21 Apr '17 08:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Cult-like, yeah; misled, yeah, but calling them extremist makes you wonder what-the-hell "extremist" actually means.

Then again, if Russia is banning them, then that means that it's part if God's plan to be banned from Russia... just sayin'.
    And I certainly hope they're not looking for a Satanic organisation such as the UN to speak up for them.
    Just sayin' that too.
    Their contention was is that we are a threat to public safety. How they actually managed to construe this and how the courts actually bought it is incredulous. How is some little old Babushka walking around handing out colourful Bible tracts with pandas on the front a threat to public safety? The Russian orthodox church has some rather hefty donors and powerful friends.
  5. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    21 Apr '17 08:27

Just sayin' that too.
    Some JWs have had to be legally restrained from sacrificing their children to their god by denying lifesaving blood transfusions. That's pretty extreme and something that none of the rhp resident JWs would condem when an example of it was documented and discussed in the spirituality forum a year or so ago.
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    21 Apr '17 12:39
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Some JWs have had to be legally restrained from sacrificing their children to their god by denying lifesaving blood transfusions. That's pretty extreme and something that none of the rhp resident JWs would condem when an example of it was documented and discussed in the spirituality forum a year or so ago.
    Too many damned kids on the planet anyways.
  7. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    21 Apr '17 12:45
    Amen to that.
  8. 21 Apr '17 12:45 / 1 edit
    Indeed it seems that the Russian and American governments hold the same view. Especially Syrian children. But its ok, they can drop bombs, we are the extremists.
  9. 21 Apr '17 12:49 / 2 edits
    UNICEF reported at least one child is dying every 10 minutes in Yemen and that there has been a 200 percent increase since 2014 in children suffering from severe acute malnutrition, with almost half a million affected. Nearly 2.2 million are acutely malnourished in need of urgent care. An estimated 21 million people – nearly double the number of people who need aid in Syria – require humanitarian assistance in a country where more than 60 per cent of Yemeni’s, according to the UN, are close to starvation. This comes as the country’s health system is on the verge of collapse, in part due to the ongoing US-UK – backed Saudi bombing of the country which began in March 2015.

https://cultureandpolitics.org/2017/01/21/burying-bad-news-in-the-killing-fields-of-yemen/

I note with absolute disdain this is the same government that divegeester vociferously supports and will vote into office. His rank hypocrisy is of course well known.
  10. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    21 Apr '17 12:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Indeed it seems that the Russian and American governments hold the same view. Especially Syrian children. But its ok, they can drop bombs, we are the extremists.
    I think this ban is actually a satisfactory outcome for you JWs who thrive on the sort of spiritual legitimacy that publicised persecution such as this brings you.
  11. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Apr '17 12:52
    What? Only about 7 billion, what's the big deal
  12. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    21 Apr '17 12:52
    I note with absolute disdain this is the same government that divegeester supports and will vote into office. His rank hypocrisy is of course well known.
    How is me voting Conservative (which on this occasion I will do) "hypocritical" robbie?
  13. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Apr '17 12:56
    How is me voting Conservative (which on this occasion I will do) "hypocritical" robbie?
    I am assuming you are American voting for Trumpf, if I am wrong, sorry. He duped the whole republican party, a sociopathic narcissistic non-reader with the attention span of a king cobra and just as much compassion. People voted for him because they thought he could not possibly be as bad as Hillary. Big mistake.
  14. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    21 Apr '17 12:57 / 1 edit
    I note with absolute disdain....that divegeester...
    Any disdain you have for me has nothing to with me voting Conservative. We both know that your intense dislike of me stems from my intense dislike of your religious organisation's attitudes, teachings and subsequent behaviours.

Casting the blame for bombed children at me because I'm voting Tory is probably one of the most squalid and yet ridiculous things you have ever said on these forums in the 9+ years I've been here.
  15. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    21 Apr '17 12:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I am assuming you are American voting for Trumpf, if I am wrong, sorry. He duped the whole republican party, a sociopathic narcissistic non-reader with the attention span of a king cobra and just as much compassion. People voted for him because they thought he could not possibly be as bad as Hillary. Big mistake.
    I've been posting here for 9 years and you think I'm American?

I'm voting conservative in the UK on this occasion (I'm a floating voter) and that has nothing to do with the idiocy of voting for Donald Trump.