Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 30 Jun '17 22:33
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/30/russia-putin-protests-police-arrests-tv-show

"I thought nothing in Russia could shock me. Then I went to a television broadcast.
    I was interrogated for seven hours and saw random people arrested.
    But the orchestrated hate and xenophobia I witnessed at Channel One was truly chilling."
    --Angus Roxburgh

"It takes a lot to shock me in Russia, after 45 years of studying it.
    But this month my blood ran cold."

"Back in Moscow we were invited by Anatoly Kuzichev, the host of a
    political talk show, to sit in the studio during a live broadcast on state
    television’s Channel One. Nominally the topic under discussion was the
    'anniversary of Hitler’s invasion of the USSR on 22 June 1941 – but this
    was just a pretext for a hate session against Ukraine, Poland, and
    anyone who dared to criticise Russia.

In Nineteen Eighty-Four, citizens gather for “Hate Week”, where images
    of the state’s chief enemy are shown and the audience scream their
    hatred at him. Here, pictures of a man being arrested in Ukraine for
    'carrying a Soviet flag flickered on the screen, and a token Ukrainian “expert”
    was allowed to explain why communist symbols are banned there.
    But within seconds she was shouted down by the two alpha-male hosts,
    who sneered at her, denouncing the Ukrainian government as Nazis
    and Russophobes. Her only role, it seemed, was to act as a punch bag.
    After the show I asked her why she agreed to put herself up for such
    humiliation. She turned away and refused to speak.

One of the presenters, Artyom Sheinin, a veteran of the Soviet war in
    Afghanistan, strutted around like an exploding parcel of boorishness and
    manufactured anger. He cursed the Polish parliament for voting to remove
    memorials to the Soviet occupation of their country. “I won’t shy from the word,”
    he said, “these people are bitches, animals … ” His lip curled as he spat
    the words into the camera.

Sitting next to me was a young floor manager, scarcely in her 20s, whose job
    was to orchestrate the applause. Whenever the hosts made some particularly
    venomous comment, she cracked her palms together – giving the signal
    for the audience to burst into applause – and then after about four seconds
    gave a circular “wind down” signal, which the audience also followed.
    I had seen shows like this on Russian TV, and found them distasteful
    and crude – but seeing it in action left me speechless. I turned to the
    hate-leader during a commercial break and asked her if she had read
    George Orwell. She didn’t know who he was."
  2. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    01 Jul '17 17:59
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/30/russia-putin-protests-police-arrests-tv-show

"I thought nothing in Russia could shock me. Then I went to a television broadcast.
    I was interrogated for seven hours and saw random people arrested.
    But the orchestrated hate and xenophobia I witnessed at Channel One was truly chilling."
    --Angus Rox ...[text shortened]... g a commercial break and asked her if she had read
    George Orwell. She didn’t know who he was."
    Wake up and smell the coffee Duchess. An Ex KGB guy is running Russia these days, what did you expect? The little flowers of St. Francis?
  3. 01 Jul '17 18:38
    Originally posted by mchill
    Wake up and smell the coffee Duchess. An Ex KGB guy is running Russia these days, what did you expect? The little flowers of St. Francis?
    Mchill apparently likes to stereotype everyone who worked for the KGB as exactly alike.
    In reality, Putin seems strongly supported by the Russian Orthodox Church.
    When he led the USSR, Andropov sought no reconciliation with the Russian Orthodox Church.
  4. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    09 Jul '17 02:21
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Mchill apparently likes to stereotype everyone who worked for the KGB as exactly alike.
    In reality, Putin seems strongly supported by the Russian Orthodox Church.
    When he led the USSR, Andropov sought no reconciliation with the Russian Orthodox Church.
    Duchess - Putin's actions have little or nothing to do with the Russian Orthodox Church. Putin is greedy, power hungry thug and a murderer, cloaking himself in a robe in Christian purity. You're beginning to sound like Donald Trump.
  5. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    09 Jul '17 06:29
    Duchess - Putin's actions have little or nothing to do with the Russian Orthodox Church. Putin is greedy, power hungry thug and a murderer, cloaking himself in a robe in Christian purity. You're beginning to sound like Donald Trump.
    Besides you stating that Dutchess sounds like Trump... pretty bizarre.... I totally agree with you on Putin.
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    09 Jul '17 06:35
    And Poland deserves the discrimination it gets.
    Trump sucking bunch of conservative retards that they are.

I'd boot them out the EU, disband NATO and sell them to Russia for a bottle of cheap vodka.
  7. 09 Jul '17 08:02
    Putin just want to make Russia great again.
  8. 09 Jul '17 20:52 / 3 edits
    Duchess - Putin's actions have little or nothing to do with the Russian Orthodox Church.
    Putin is greedy, power hungry thug and a murderer, cloaking himself in a robe in Christian purity.
    You're beginning to sound like Donald Trump.
    The ethnocentric American troll Mchill spews nonsense, showing his gaping ignorance of Russia.
    (I know Russian and can get information directly from Russian sources.)

https://cruxnow.com/ap/2016/12/17/church-state-seeing-eye-eye-putins-orthodox-russia/

"Church, state seeing eye to eye in Putin’s Orthodox Russia"

"The Orthodox Church in Russia is expanding its influence in the country and President Vladimir Putin
    does not hesitate to reap the benefits. As the religious right closes art exhibitions and
    opposes gay rights, the Kremlin uses Christian roots to legitimize the annexation of Crimea."

"The Russian Orthodox Church is expanding its influence in what was once an officially
    godless state - and President Vladimir Putin appears eager to harness that resurgent
    power of faith to promote his own agenda.

Long consigned to society’s margins in the Soviet era of “scientific atheism,” religious
    activists in today’s Russia can get theater performances banned and exhibitions closed.
    Their next target is to end state funding for abortion in a land where nearly half of all pregnancies end in termination."

"The moral authority of the Orthodox Church has grown steadily under Putin, who sides
    with the church in promoting traditional family values and opposing gay rights ...
    Analysts say Putin sees an alliance with church interests as a way to bolster nationalism
    with belief. They say the approach seeks simultaneously to fill the ideological void left by
    the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union and to block any inroads by Western liberalism."

"Putin this summer put a more openly Christian veneer on his government by promoting
    two figures who wear religion on their sleeve."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/14/world/europe/russia-orthodox-church.html

"In Expanding Russian Influence, Faith Combines With Firepower"

"Mr. Putin has also mobilized faith to expand the country’s reach and influence.
    A fervent foe of homosexuality and any attempt to put individual rights above those of
    family, community or nation, the Russian Orthodox Church helps project Russia as the
    natural ally of all those who pine for a more secure, illiberal world free from the
    tradition-crushing rush of globalization, multiculturalism and women’s and gay rights."

"Thanks to a close alliance between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Kremlin,
    religion has proved a particularly powerful tool in former Soviet lands like Moldova,
    where senior priests loyal to the Moscow church hierarchy have campaigned tirelessly
    to block their country’s integration with the West."

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/how-russia-became-a-leader-of-the-worldwide-christian-right-214755

"How Russia Became the Leader of the Global Christian Right
    While the U.S. passed gay-rights laws, Moscow moved hard the other way."

"[Patrick] Buchanan blushed with praise for Putin’s policies, writing, “In the culture war for
    the future of mankind, Putin is planting Russia’s flag firmly on the side of traditional Christianity."

"After all, it’s not as if it’s difficult to unearth the [Christian] fundamentalists fawning over
    Putin’s putative turn toward God. For instance, according to Bryan Fischer, who until 2015
    was a spokesman for the American Family Association, Putin is the “lion of Christianity.”
    Evangelical Franklin Graham has likewise lauded Putin as someone “protecting
    traditional Christianity,” while Buchanan only continues praising Putin."

"For the time being, though, there’s a clear head of the global Christian right.
    As the WCF’s Jacobs said following the 2014 enclave in Moscow, “I think Russia
    is the hope for the world right now."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/vladimir-putin/11530938/Vladimir-Putin-praises-Orthodox-Church-for-boosting-patriotism.html

"Vladimir Putin praises Orthodox Church for boosting patriotism."

"Mr Putin has revived the role of the Church in Russian society, disquieting some
    who fear its conservative influence on government.
    In a message congratulating believers, the president said the Church played an “enormous formative
    role in preserving our rich cultural and historical heritage and in reviving eternal moral values”.
    It also worked “tirelessly to bring unity, to strengthen family ties and to educate the younger
    generation in the spirit of patriotism”, he added."

"[Russian Orthodox] Patriarch Kirill said the same year that Mr Putin’s era of leadership
    since 2000 was a “miracle of God”. "

In reality, there's a very close alliance between Putin and the Russian Orthodox Church,
    which strongly supports him. The Russian Orthodox Patriarch has lauded Putin's leadership
    as a 'miracle of God'. In addition, Putin has become acclaimed as a spiritual leader
    and hero even by many right-wing Christian fundamentalists in the West.
  9. 09 Jul '17 20:56
    Originally posted by shavixmir to Mchill
    Besides you stating that Dutchess sounds like Trump... pretty bizarre.... I totally agree with you on Putin.
    The lying troll Mchill (who sometimes praised Donald Trump during the 2016 campaign)
    has a long record of hurling 'bizarre' insults and false accusations at me.

Ethnocentric Westerners here keep showing their abysmal ignorance of Russia.
    Everyone in Russia knows that Putin and the Russian Orthodox Church are close allies.
  10. 19 Jul '17 19:28
    Recently I watched the BBC report a story about continuing fighting in eastern Ukraine.
    I noticed that a pro-Ukrainian woman spoke in Russian to a British journalist.
    The journalist did not say that she was speaking Russian, but I knew that she was.
    So she's apparently a Ukrainian who can speak Russian or an ethnic Russian who
    disagrees with the Russian separatists (backed by Moscow) in eastern Ukraine.

Черная ночь, белый снег.
  11. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 Jul '17 22:25
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Recently I watched the BBC report a story about continuing fighting in eastern Ukraine.
    I noticed that a pro-Ukrainian woman spoke in Russian to a British journalist.
    The journalist did not say that she was speaking Russian, but I knew that she was.
    So she's apparently a Ukrainian who can speak Russian or an ethnic Russian who
    disagrees with the Russian separatists (backed by Moscow) in eastern Ukraine.

Черная ночь, белый снег.
    Что это значит?
  12. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    19 Jul '17 22:57
    The ethnocentric American troll Mchill spews nonsense, showing his gaping ignorance of Russia.
    (I know Russian and can get information directly from Russian sources.)

https://cruxnow.com/ap/2016/12/17/church-state-seeing-eye-eye-putins-orthodox-russia/

"Church, state seeing eye to eye in Putin’s Orthodox Russia"

"The Orthodox Church in Russia i ...[text shortened]... as a spiritual leader
    In reality, there's a very close alliance between Putin and the Russian Orthodox Church,
    which strongly supports him. The Russian Orthodox Patriarch has lauded Putin's leadership
    as a 'miracle of God'. In addition, Putin has become acclaimed as a spiritual leader

That's exactly the point I was trying to make Duchess, so it seems we are in at least partial agreement, so why all the ugly comments aimed at me?? (or do you just enjoy insulting people?)
  13. 20 Jul '17 00:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Что это значит?
    Черная ночь, белый снег ('Black night, white snow.' ) is the first line of a famous poem by Alexander Blok.
    (I read it in childhood, and I assumed that it would be recognized by many Russian readers.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_(poem)

"In the last stanza of the poem, most controversially, a figure of Jesus Christ is seen in
    the snowstorm, heading the march of the Twelve."
  14. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    20 Jul '17 09:22
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Что это значит?
    My wife has just started to learn Russian. I'm fearful that in just 6 months she will speak it better than I do Japanese. (And I've been struggling to learn that for a decade).
  15. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    20 Jul '17 10:16
    Черная ночь, белый снег ('Black night, white snow.' ) is the first line of a famous poem by Alexander Blok.
    (I read it in childhood, and I assumed that it would be recognized by many Russian readers.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_(poem)

"In the last stanza of the poem, most controversially, a figure of Jesus Christ is seen in
    the snowstorm, heading the march of the Twelve."
    Ah, thanks. I pumped that phrase into a rus/eng translator and it came up with black night, white snow but had no idea what it meant.