Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 20 Aug '16 00:26 / 2 edits
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/19/ryan-lochte-olympic-tale-gold-medals-white-privilege-rio

"Ryan Lochte: An Olympic Tale of Gold Medals and White Privilege"
    --Marina Hyde (19 August 2016, the author is a white woman)

By now, it's become clear (even to most Americans) that Ryan Lochte
    lied when he fabricated his story of being robbed at gunpoint in Brazil.
    He may instinctively have felt (as Marina Hyde believes) that his white
    American privilege--not to mention his celebrity privilege--could protect
    him enough from any bad consequences after lying to or about Brazilians.

What could be embarrassing enough and needed covering up enough
    to motivate Ryan Loche to lie to the police? A rather minor act of vandalism
    could be quietly dealt with by paying some money. Reportedly, some
    American male swimmers (including Ryan Lochte) were celebrating their
    Olympic success by attempting to embrace 'wine, women, and song'
    (or just the first two) in a Rio nightclub. There's a photo of a (presumably
    drunken) Ryan Lochte trying to get closely acquainted with two pretty teenage girls.
    But would this be enough embarrassment to be worth risking lying to the police?
  2. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    20 Aug '16 00:50
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/19/ryan-lochte-olympic-tale-gold-medals-white-privilege-rio

lied when he fabricated his story of being r ...[text shortened]... teenage girls.
    the author is a white woman

How is this relevant to the story?
  3. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    20 Aug '16 01:32
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    [b]the author is a white woman

How is this relevant to the story?[/b]
    Please try to ignore this. Duchess takes pleasure in downgrading white males. If a female was guilty of this misdeed, Duchess would be making excuses for it.
  4. Standard member lemon lime
    blah blah blah
    20 Aug '16 01:53
    Originally posted by mchill
    Please try to ignore this. Duchess takes pleasure in downgrading white males. If a female was guilty of this misdeed, Duchess would be making excuses for it.
    I'm aware of her obsession with race and gender. And even with how she might see this as an example of most (or many, or some) white males (white privilege). But pointing out that the author is a white woman seemed a bit over the top, even for the Duchess.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    20 Aug '16 03:02
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I'm aware of her obsession with race and gender. And even with how she might see this as an example of most (or many, or some) white males (white privilege). But pointing out that the author is a white woman seemed a bit over the top, even for the Duchess.
    I think she thought of that as a compliment to the author, a white woman actually writing a bad note about a white privileged elite athlete. But the real story is how they tried to get out of a minor bit of vandalism by concocting a huge lie but the video tells all.
  6. 20 Aug '16 04:59
    Let's have a list of young athletes of color who did something so career-ending.
  7. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    20 Aug '16 05:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Let's have a list of young athletes of color who did something so career-ending.
    Let's have your definition of 'color'. Should people self identify their color or do you propose an electronic 'color' measuring device? Should shades of 'color' be adjusted for time spent in the sun?
  8. 20 Aug '16 15:09
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Let's have your definition of 'color'. Should people self identify their color or do you propose an electronic 'color' measuring device? Should shades of 'color' be adjusted for time spent in the sun?
    Maybe a committee.
  9. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    20 Aug '16 18:09 / 1 edit
    How come every time a white person does something terrible, other white people say "well what about people of color?" White people are guilty of most violent crime in America period. That includes rape and murder. Whites always want to talk about black on black murder when there are far more white on white murders every year in our nation. When white people start looking in their mirrors and taking responsibility for their actions and how they raise THEIR CHILDREN; then we would have a much better nation of people. BTW, I am white.
  10. 20 Aug '16 19:02
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    How come every time a white person does something terrible, other white people say "well what about people of color?" White people are guilty of most violent crime in America period. That includes rape and murder. Whites always want to talk about black on black murder when there are far more white on white murders every year in our nation. When white ...[text shortened]... they raise THEIR CHILDREN; then we would have a much better nation of people. BTW, I am white.
    "... every time a white person does something terrible, other white people say "well what about people of color...."

I was expecting people to realize that there were no other news reports of 2016 Rio Olympic gold winners behaving in such a career limiting manner as Lochte's stupid vandalism at the gas station and presumptuous lies to the police. Apparently the vast majority of visiting US athletes were well behaved and respectful of the people and institutions of the host country. Unfortunately there is little chance of meeting everyone's standards of PC-ness while discussing this situation. But we must not let that stifle communication.
  11. 20 Aug '16 19:49 / 7 edits
    Originally posted by mchill to LemonLime
    Please try to ignore this. Duchess takes pleasure in downgrading white males.
    If a female was guilty of this misdeed, Duchess would be making excuses for it.
    First of all, the term 'white privilege' (which I did not write) is within the article's title.
    Clearly, the author (or her editors) believes that 'race' is relevant to what she wrote.

*If* Mchill had bothered to read the article rather than making another of his knee-jerk
    racist personal attacks on me, then he might have noticed that Marina Hyde, the author
    *makes the explicit point of mentioning that she's white*. The reason that she does this is
    obvious enough (though perhaps not to a willfully blind racist apologist such as Mchill).

Marina Hyde's accusing Ryan Lochte of taking advantage of his 'white privilege'.
    She might be considered disingenuous or hypocritical *if she did not acknowledge the
    fact* that she's white and *also* has benefitted from her 'white privilege'. That's all.
    By doing that, Marina Hyde shows that she's less disingenuous than the racists here
    about discussing 'white privilege' from a perspective of someone who has 'white privilege'.

In fact, Mchill already has quite a record of attempting to deny, minimize the existence
    of white racism against non-white people in the USA. Mchill has denounced blaming
    white people for racism in the USA as though it were true that white people are just as
    afflicted, if not more, as non-white people by racism in the USA.

Mchill already has shown that he's one of the many racist white Americans here who
    like to keep doing their dishonest utmost to excuse white Americans for racism in the USA.
    Mchill's a persistent liar in addition to being a racist.

I also note that Mchill reiterates his (implicit) lie that I like to put down *all* white males.
    I do put down the racist or sexist white men (including Mchill). I put down Hitler, a proud
    white man, though not simply because he was a white man. Other diverse white men
    here (including Finnegan, Teinosuke, even Sasquatch672) never have complained that
    I have put them down personally even when I disagree with them.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    20 Aug '16 20:02 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64

lied when he fabricated his story of being r ...[text shortened]... teenage girls.
    Sanest comment on this molehill came from the Olympic spokesperson:

Mario Andrada, who sighed of the furore now that the US swimmers had been found out: “Let’s give these kids a break. Sometimes you make decisions you later regret. They had fun, they made a mistake, life goes on.”
  13. 20 Aug '16 20:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse to Lemon Lime
    I think she thought of that as a compliment to the author, a white woman actually writing a bad note about a white privileged elite athlete. But the real story is how they tried to get out of a minor bit of vandalism by concocting a huge lie but the video tells all.
    Sonhouse, please read the article (even though you have shown poor reading comprehension)
    rather than relying upon the trolls' typical nonsense, distortions, or lies about what I write.

In fact, Marina Hyde (the article's author) *made the explicit point of mentioning that she's white*.
    She acknowledged that she also has benefitted from 'white privilege'. She did that, of course, to
    avoid being accused of hypocrisy by criticizing Ryan Lochte for taking advantage of 'white privilege'.

I was *not* attempting to 'compliment' the author. I simply was bringing attention to
    a fact about herself that Marina Hyde had made the explicit point of mentioning.
  14. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    20 Aug '16 20:11
    "... every time a white person does something terrible, other white people say "well what about people of color...."

I was expecting people to realize that there were no other news reports of 2016 Rio Olympic gold winners behaving in such a career limiting manner as Lochte's stupid vandalism at the gas station and presumptuous lies to the police. Apparently ...[text shortened]... dards of PC-ness while discussing this situation. But we must not let that stifle communication.
    Thank you for clarify your stance. My apologies.
  15. 20 Aug '16 20:26 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Sanest comment on this molehill came from the Olympic spokesperson:

Mario Andrada, who sighed of the furore now that the US swimmers had been found out: “Let’s give these kids a break. Sometimes you make decisions you later regret. They had fun, they made a mistake, life goes on.”
    As usual, No1Marauder comments like a defense lawyer.
    How would American police likely treat a Brazilian making a false report of a crime?
    By saying "Let's give this kid a break", particularly if he's a black Brazilian?

Mario Andrada has been criticized by both Brazilians and Americans for appearing too
    eager to 'smooth over' any unpleasantness between Brazilians and Americans over this incident.

"This IOC spokesman Mario Andrada should resign and Lochte and the swimmers should
    be fined, jailed, and/or suspended."
    --Keith Olbermann (18 August 2016, an American political and sports commentator.)
    (No1Marauder may feel free to hurl abuse at Keith Olbermann, who's accustomed to it.)

It seems to me that the dispute between Ryan Lochte and the Brazilian authorities could
    be resolved by a more apparently sincere apology and a fine (perhaps described as a
    'donation' to a charity in Brazil). No one expects Ryan Lochte to be extradited to Brazil
    or spend any time in jail.

The USOC may proceed independently to discipline Ryan Lochte. His behavior may have
    violated a 'code of conduct' agreement that he had to sign before joining the US Olympic team.
    Given that, at age 32, Ryan Lochte presumably already planned to retire, banning or suspending
    him from swimming would seem to have little effect. I suspect that the most that could
    be done would be to block him from receiving any financial bonus for winning a medal.

Ryan Lochte may have quite a future in corporate America. In addition to being a white
    male celebrity (priceless!), he already has shown his powers of leadership by persuading
    other people to lie or deceive on his behalf. And I suspect that experienced mentors can
    instruct Ryan Lochte in how to lie more effectively toward the authorities or the public.
    In the USA of the 'reality show' age, about the only bad publicity is no publicity.