Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 09 Feb '12 00:35
    So is this trouble for Romney? Just as we were running out of Not-Romneys!

From Dkos:

The established narrative about Mitt Romney is that he's a rich f--- out of touch with Americans and their concerns, and incapable of connecting with another human being unless he's firing them. So how does Romney explain his losses yesterday?

"We were spending our time and money in Florida and Nevada. And Sen. Santorum took a different course — left Florida, left Nevada, went to the other states and he was able to reap the rewards of that approach."

In other words, Romney wasn't able to buy yesterday's contests the way he did Florida or Nevada.

Note, Santorum has no money, period. He's never had any money. Heck, this morning, Santorum was bragging about having raised $250,000 since last night, the equivalent of just 25 Romney bets. Yet somehow he's won four states to Romney's three, and spent $30 million less to do so.

So it's clear that in a battle of ideas and personality, Romney's got nothing. The only thing he has is money.

And even he acknowledges it.

Update: Just came across this, from last night, as soon it was clear that Santorum was going to crush Romney in Minnesota:

With a vast war chest and an organization already in place, the Romney campaign could have made a more forceful push in [Minnesota], an adviser to the campaign said. But that would’ve pulled time and resources away from states like Colorado and Arizona – states that hold more weight in the general election.

So last night they were saying that they did put time and money in Colorado, while today Romney claims that he didn't. Which is it?

Furthermore, that's quite the admission there -- that Minnesota is off the map in November, while Arizona is a battleground.
  2. 09 Feb '12 01:26
    That would great if Santorum were to get the nomination.
  3. 09 Feb '12 02:06
    Originally posted by moon1969
    That would great if Santorum were to get the nomination.
    It would be a slaughter. But barring an economic crash, it looks like it's going to be a slaughter anyway. Nobody likes Romney.
  4. 09 Feb '12 02:42
    Here's a good media summary of the meaning, or lack of meaning, of Santorum's wins last night.

http://youtu.be/NIcDqyRCbos
  5. 09 Feb '12 10:31
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    It would be a slaughter. But barring an economic crash, it looks like it's going to be a slaughter anyway. Nobody likes Romney.
    Ya, while a little premature for me to say, it does look like this election cycle is shaping up nicely.
  6. 09 Feb '12 18:55
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Ya, while a little premature for me to say, it does look like this election cycle is shaping up nicely.
    Basically the economy has to tank or Obama has to be caught in bed with a 14 year old to change the verdict. I'm calling it now. You read it here first.
  7. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    11 Feb '12 07:11
    So is this trouble for Romney? Just as we were running out of Not-Romneys!

From Dkos:

The established narrative about Mitt Romney is that he's a rich f--- out of touch with Americans and their concerns, and incapable of connecting with another human being unless he's firing them. So how does Romney explain his losses yesterday?

"We were spend ...[text shortened]... -- that Minnesota is off the map in November, while Arizona is a battleground.
    Romney's in a bit of trouble here. I guess you can't be the Republican candidate for President unless you prove to the GOP base that you're just to the political right of Atilla the Hun!
  8. 12 Feb '12 06:08
    And he barely beat Ron Paul today. Has Romney collected more than 50 percent of the votes in any race yet?
  9. Standard member Soothfast
    12 Feb '12 06:24
    And he barely beat Ron Paul today. Has Romney collected more than 50 percent of the votes in any race yet?
    He prolly got 50% when his mommy and daddy voted.
  10. 12 Feb '12 21:37
    Saint Torum is rapidly increasing the probability that he will get my vote.

Who else will vote for Ricky?
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    12 Feb '12 22:17
    If Mister Catholic can pull in Liberation Theology style Latin American Catholics he can win, but he won't get those votes. Liberation Theology people are practically Communists; that's where I've seen many living stereotypes of radical leftism. They're associated with the Jesuits.