Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 19:316 edits
    Sarah Jeong was born in 1988 in the Republic of Korea and immigrated at age 3 to the USA.
    She graduated from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School, where she edited a law journal.

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/3/17644704/sarah-jeong-new-york-times-tweets-backlash-racism

"The “controversy” over journalist Sarah Jeong joining the New York Times, explained:
    In standing by its decision to hire the well-known tech journalist, the Times
    shut down a major bullying tactic of the alt-right."

"The New York Times announced this week that tech journalist Sarah Jeong
    will join its editorial board — and the ensuing outcry from right-wing Twitter
    was both swift and familiar.

Jeong is a venerated tech culture journalist with a broad range of expertise,
    known for everything from authoring a book on systemic online harassment
    to reporting on major internet case law."

"She’s also an outspoken progressive and feminist, making her an obvious
    target for the right-wing internet mobs that have been especially active of late,
    launching organized smear campaigns against left-leaning celebrities by
    weaponizing their old jokes and tweets."

"A similar thing happened to Jeong, and the resulting fray became something
    of a test for the New York Times, as well as a test of the power of alt-right internet mobs.
    In this case, the mob lost — which might be a sign that one of the alt-right’s
    signature trolling tactics is losing its effectiveness."

"Once Jeong’s hiring was announced, her detractors immediately started
    digging through her internet history to see what they could find.
    A survey of Jeong’s past commentary on Twitter reveals several mainly
    sarcastic tweets dating back to 2013, which were largely discussing and
    responding to the oppressive mentality of white culture:"

"In tweets like the one embedded above, Jeong appeared to be commenting
    on the idea that white people often believe they are being discriminated
    against when they aren’t. To equate “being mean to white people” with
    the actual systemic oppression and marginalization of minority groups is
    a false equivalency.'

"As members of those movements have done countless times before,
    Jeong’s detractors organized to deploy a system of performative outrage,
    using the screencaps as “evidence” that Jeong was racist and launching
    a torrent of violent, racist, and misogynistic speech at both Jeong and
    the New York Times to voice its displeasure."

"The cries of racism against Jeong then drew supporters in the mainstream — including
    writer Andrew Sullivan, who published a widely derided opinion piece that
    characterized Jeong’s comments as promoting “eliminationist rhetoric”
    and portraying white people as “subhuman.”

On Thursday morning, Jeong issued a statement. As a female journalist
    on the internet as well as a woman of color, she is no stranger to harassment —
    as she herself noted before explaining that in the tweets being circulated
    as proof of her supposed “racism,” she had been engaging “in what I
    thought of at the time as counter-trolling.”"

"It’s also worth noting that while the harassment Jeong received before the
    Times announced her hiring seems to have been fairly run-of-the-mill,
    since the announcement, she has been staving off an onslaught of
    racist and misogynistic comments."

'Her journalism and the fact that she is a young Asian woman have made
    her a subject of frequent online harassment. For a period of time she
    responded to that harassment by imitating the rhetoric of her harassers."
    --'New York Times' (explaining its hiring of Sarah Jeong)

Some racists here apparently believe that Sarah Jeong must benefit from 'Asian American
    privilege' and could not possibly experience any racism or harassment in the USA.

"The alt-right has codified a systemic method of deep-diving into perceived
    enemies’ past and decontextualizing their online interactions, with the
    goal of demonizing them through sustained campaigns of harassment
    and very loud virtual yelling.

It’s a simultaneously diabolical and simple strategy: greatly exaggerate
    and feign outrage over your so-called foe’s behavior while removing,
    distorting, or ignoring the context surrounding it."

That's exactly what many abusive lying trolls here routinely do.

"But there’s a clear distinction between Norton’s old tweets and Jeong’s.
    Norton’s old tweets were an attempt to fit in with a toxic community, and
    used actually harmful, homophobic, ableist, and racist slurs that could
    have made others around her uncomfortable — especially given that her
    defense of her friendship with a neo-Nazi was both recent and ongoing.

By contrast, Jeong’s tweets were, at best, mean to some white people,
    and were written in a context reasonably understood to be a sarcastic
    response to people who were perpetually harassing her on the basis of
    her gender and race. The alt-right often works very hard to obfuscate these
    distinctions, but the Times’s decision to stand by Jeong — and to drop Norton
    once her use of harmful slurs came to light — shows that they still matter.'

"This distinction between “good-faith conversation” and “intimidation” is
    an extremely important one — both because it indicates an increasing
    awareness and understanding of the tactics that troll mobs like these
    use to target their enemies, and because it signals that the only way to win
    against such tactics is to see them for what they are, and ignore them accordingly."

Piers Morgan (a supporter of Donald Trump) also is doing his utmost to demonize Sarah Jeong.
    The abusive right-wing trolls may have presumed that Sarah Jeong would be a softer target
    (who would draw less support) because she's Asian American, not African American.

While I often am very critical of it, the 'New York Times' has done the right thing here.
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 03:12
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Sarah Jeong was born in 1988 in the Republic of Korea and immigrated at age 3 to the USA.
    She graduated from UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School, where she edited a law journal.

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/3/17644704/sarah-jeong-new-york-times-tweets-backlash-racism

"The “controversy” over journalist Sarah Jeong joining the New York Times, explained: ...[text shortened]... an.

While I often am very critical of it, the 'New York Times' has done the right thing here.
    Some racists here apparently believe that Sarah Jeong must benefit from 'Asian American privilege' and could not possibly experience any racism or harassment in the USA.

I'm impressed with Sarah Jeong's academic credentials, especially her selection to edit a law journal at HLS. Clearly this lady is intelligent and hard working, and frankly I think she would be an excellent choice for a position on the editorial board at the New York Times. I think you would find however there would more support for your posts if you were not so quick to brand people here as racists simply because they don't march in lockstep with your every thought. Please allow me to pass on an old country saying from some silly white people of long ago:

"You can catch more bees with honey than you can with vinegar" 🙂
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 12:33

"The “controversy” over journalist Sarah Jeong joining the New York Times, explained: ...[text shortened]... an.

imagine that...racist trash supporting racist trash.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 14:071 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    imagine that...racist trash supporting racist trash.
    Mott - I think you and Duchess would make such a cute couple. 😀
  5. Subscribergumbie
    The man himself
    Totally lost
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 14:19
    Apparently this Harvard graduated editor of the new york times is somehow a victim of our oppressive society and culture.

Gimme a break.
  6. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 14:40
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Mott - I think you and Duchess would make such a cute couple. 😀
    Na. douchess and sarah is a match made in heaven . Cept there isn't any heaven. Only hell on earth
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 15:11
    some idiots don't understand the difference between making a joke (that you can find funny or not) and actually spouting hate towards some group or better yet, they act like they don't understand it.

this is simply a period of time where companies without backbone and a whole lot of hypocrisy give in to even the slightest public pressure from mobs riled up by right wing trolls and throw their employees under the bus

thankfully, new york times is not disney and released a public statement that they know Jeong is not a racist and they are fine continuing their colaboration
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 18:451 edit
    Some racists here apparently believe that Sarah Jeong must benefit from 'Asian American privilege' and could not possibly experience any racism or harassment in the USA.

I'm impressed with Sarah Jeong's academic credentials, especially her selection to edit a law journal at HLS. Clearly this lady is intelligent and hard working, and frankly I think s ...[text shortened]... white people of long ago:

"You can catch more bees with honey than you can with vinegar" 🙂
    "Some racists here apparently believe that Sarah Jeong must benefit from 'Asian American privilege."
    --Mchill

Does Mchill need me to quote again No1Marauder's rants about alleged 'Asian American privilege'?

Would No1Marauder not likely wish to believe that Sarah Jeong was hired by the
    'New York Times' instead of a supposed more qualified African American mainly, if not
    only, because African Americans, but never Asian Americans, are afflicted by racism?
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 18:48
    Originally posted by @gumbie
    Apparently this Harvard graduated editor of the new york times is somehow a victim of our oppressive society and culture.

Gimme a break.
    Does Gumbie claim that Barack Obama (who graduated from Harvard Law School) never
    has experienced racism in the USA?

Does Gumbie approve of the many racist or sexist insults hurled at Sarah Jeong?
  10. Subscribergumbie
    The man himself
    Totally lost
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 19:10
    Does Gumbie claim that Barack Obama (who graduated from Harvard Law School) never
    has experienced racism in the USA?

Does Gumbie approve of the many racist or sexist insults hurled at Sarah Jeong?
    The NYT is using her alleged victimhood as an excuse for 1500 tweets over 4 years most of which were not in response to anything.

That many tweets would seem indicate more than a "joke".
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 19:37
    The NYT is using her alleged victimhood as an excuse for 1500 tweets over 4 years most of which were not in response to anything.

That many tweets would seem indicate more than a "joke".
    Let the record show that the troll Gumbie has completely evaded my questions.

Gumbie seems eager to attack a 'strawman'. I did not write that all Sarah Jeong's tweets were 'jokes'.
    The explanations (which Gumbie seems eager to ignore) already given by the 'New York Times'
    and in my cited article seem sufficient to explain Sarah Jeong's tweets.

Gumbie apparently has no objection to hurling racist, sexist abuse at an Asian American woman,
    but how dare she ever have become exasperated enough to reply sarcastically to her hateful trolls!
  12. Subscribergumbie
    The man himself
    Totally lost
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 19:58
    Let the record show that the troll Gumbie has completely evaded my questions.

Gumbie seems eager to attack a 'strawman'. I did not write that all Sarah Jeong's tweets were 'jokes'.
    The explanations (which Gumbie seems eager to ignore) already given by the 'New York Times'
    and in my cited article seem sufficient to explain Sarah Jeong's tweets.

G ...[text shortened]... t how dare she ever have become exasperated enough to reply sarcastically to her hateful trolls!
    Asking unrelated questions and making nonsense claims about me in an attempt to shut down discussion will not work.

It will just force me to ignore you in particular.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 20:032 edits
    Asking unrelated questions and making nonsense claims about me in an attempt to shut down discussion will not work.

It will just force me to ignore you in particular.
    The troll Gumbie blatantly lies about what he and I wrote.

"Apparently this Harvard graduated editor of the new york times is somehow a victim
    of our oppressive society and culture. Gimme a break."
    --Gumbie

Gumbie apparently denies that Sarah Jeong could have experienced any racism or sexism in the USA.
    Gumbie prefers to ignore the direct evidence of many racist, sexist insults hurled at her.

Given that Gumbie apparently implies that it's impossible for any Harvard graduate to
    afflicted by racism or sexism in the USA, I asked Gumbie if he believes that Barack Obama
    never has experienced any racism. The troll Gumbie refuses to give the obvious answer.

Evidently, Gumbie approves of the racist, sexist hateful trolls who are vilifying Sarah Jeong.
  14. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 23:111 edit
    "Some racists here apparently believe that Sarah Jeong must benefit from 'Asian American privilege."
    --Mchill

Does Mchill need me to quote again No1Marauder's rants about alleged 'Asian American privilege'?

Would No1Marauder not likely wish to believe that Sarah Jeong was hired by the
    'New York Times' instead of a supposed more qualified African ...[text shortened]... y, if not
    only, because African Americans, but never Asian Americans, are afflicted by racism?
    --Mchill

Duchess - If you want to accuse people here of racism without knowing their thoughts, then you a racist yourself, but if you're going to print false quotes, then you're a liar too. I said no such thing here and you know it. Stop lying!
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 23:39
    --Mchill

Duchess - If you want to accuse people here of racism without knowing their thoughts, then you a racist yourself, but if you're going to print false quotes, then you're a liar too. I said no such thing here and you know it. Stop lying!
    The racist troll Mchill keeps lying (much like another racist liar, Donald Trump).