Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 23 Jul '10 16:29
    "If ya can't speak the language (English), ya ought not be here." I've heard that sentiment raised by many in America, and I agree with it. Which is why Sarah Palin has no business in any political office. Did you catch her "quote", imploring moderate Muslims to "refudiate" the Ground Zero Mosque? REFUDIATE? That's not even a word. Now she was born in the USA, so she's got a right to stay here. But I propose that if a candidate can't use proper English grammar, and can't speak without butchering the language, they should be disqualified from serving. I know, I know, that would have kept G.W.Bush from ever even being a governor, let alone president. But c'mon---most of us learned this stuff in grammar school. I don't require much of my leaders: I only ask for a fair-minded, temperant person, who can actually spell and enunciate correctly, and speak without using gibberish. Steve Miller invented a word for "The Joker"--that's okay--he's a rock star. Politicians should be held to a bit of a higher standard.
  2. 23 Jul '10 16:41 / 1 edit
    Do you think there is anyone who has never made a slip of the tongue?
  3. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    23 Jul '10 16:45 / 1 edit
    Did you know what she meant when she said it?

I never really get peoples obsession with proper grammar and spelling. Language is a form of communication, not a law.

It seems there are far more significant reasons Palin is unfit for office. This is just another instance of political low blows.
  4. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    23 Jul '10 16:47 / 3 edits
    Oh, by the way, there is no such word as temperant.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    23 Jul '10 16:51 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    "If ya can't speak the language (English), ya ought not be here." I've heard that sentiment raised by many in America, and I agree with it. Which is why Sarah Palin has no business in any political office. Did you catch her "quote", imploring moderate Muslims to "refudiate" the Ground Zero Mosque? REFUDIATE? That's not even a word. Now she was born i --he's a rock star. Politicians should be held to a bit of a higher standard.
    But I propose that if a candidate can't use proper English grammar, and can't speak without butchering the language, they should be disqualified from serving.

This sentence starts with a conjunction, uses an unnecessary modifier of the word "grammar," places an unnecessary comma after the word "grammar," uses the word "propose" improperly (you propose an idea or the enacting of a rule, not a phenomenon) and changes from singular to plural within a sentence ("a candidate... they" ).

I wouldn't worry too much about politicians who mistakenly use an "f" instead of a "p" on occasion.
  6. 23 Jul '10 16:59
    Originally posted by sh76
    [b]But I propose that if a candidate can't use proper English grammar, and can't speak without butchering the language, they should be disqualified from serving.

This sentence starts with a conjunction, uses an unnecessary modifier of the word "grammar," places an unnecessary comma after the word "grammar," uses the word "propose" improperly (you propos ...[text shortened]... oo much about politicians who mistakenly use an "f" instead of a "p" on occasion.[/b]
    Since I'm not running for office, I have nothing to worry about

The fact remains, she is only marginally intelligent, likely never won a spelling bee, and was probably an average student at best. Not exactly the resume I want for a president. But that's just my criteria---there are as many others as there are, well....people.
  7. 23 Jul '10 17:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Oh, by the way, there is no such word as temperant.
    temperant

Century Dictionary (1 definition)1.Moderate; temperate.

You must have a different dictionary than I. That's okay, though; to err is human-- to muck up the language is to be scorned.
  8. 23 Jul '10 17:17
    Since I'm not running for office, I have nothing to worry about

The fact remains, she is only marginally intelligent, likely never won a spelling bee, and was probably an average student at best. Not exactly the resume I want for a president. But that's just my criteria---there are as many others as there are, well....people.
    A fine collection of Weasel Words.

Weasel Words: an informal term[1] for words and phrases aimed at creating an impression that something specific and meaningful has been said, when in fact only a vague or ambiguous claim has been communicated
  9. 23 Jul '10 18:25 / 1 edit
    A representative should speak with the voice the people. I'm not saying that the people of Alaska are stupid.... Example: When Bill Clinton said, "I feel your pain," it was a little dumb and hokey; it was even, arguably, a gross oversimplification of some complex economic issues. But it expressed a level of compassion and understanding that spoke to the concerns of the people..... When Palin's at her best (which, seems to happen less and less these days) she's able to hit that note.

I say this as someone who wouldn't vote for Palin even if she was running for Dog Catcher.
  10. 23 Jul '10 18:34
    Have you ever listened to Joe Biden babble on,,,,?
  11. 23 Jul '10 18:38
    "If ya can't speak the language (English), ya ought not be here." I've heard that sentiment raised by many in America, and I agree with it. Which is why Sarah Palin has no business in any political office. Did you catch her "quote", imploring moderate Muslims to "refudiate" the Ground Zero Mosque? REFUDIATE? That's not even a word. Now she was born i ...[text shortened]... --he's a rock star. Politicians should be held to a bit of a higher standard.
    I think we need a bi-lingual President, the way imigration is going, it would be a great thing to have a spanish speaking president, then we could all get messed up... plus, we wouldn't know if the President was butchering the speach?
  12. 23 Jul '10 18:46
    "If ya can't speak the language (English), ya ought not be here." I've heard that sentiment raised by many in America, and I agree with it. Which is why Sarah Palin has no business in any political office. Did you catch her "quote", imploring moderate Muslims to "refudiate" the Ground Zero Mosque? REFUDIATE? That's not even a word. Now she was born i ...[text shortened]... --he's a rock star. Politicians should be held to a bit of a higher standard.
    Its obvious that the reason why she is unfit for office is not her inability with words, but her lack of knowledge and common sense. However, it should be noted that she is very successful in one thing (and in the most admirable manner), and that is to embody all that is bad and deplorable about her country.
  13. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    23 Jul '10 18:57
    temperant

Century Dictionary (1 definition)1.Moderate; temperate.

You must have a different dictionary than I. That's okay, though; to err is human-- to muck up the language is to be scorned.
    Bah. Thought I had you there, my dictionary doesn't have an entry for it. Oh well, glad I'm not running for office or I'd most certainly be hung out for my major gaffe
  14. 23 Jul '10 18:59
    Is the smartest person always the best person for the job?
    What qualities do you admire in a person?
    Honesty? Work ethics? orginizational skills? communication skills? Good instincts?
    courage? shrewdness?
  15. 23 Jul '10 19:02
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    Is the smartest person always the best person for the job?
    What qualities do you admire in a person?
    Honesty? Work ethics? orginizational skills? communication skills? Good instincts?
    courage? shrewdness?
    Not always the smartest, but also not usually the dumbest.