Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 12:09
    Given that I constantly attack the left for being ridiculously politically correct, it's only fair that I say:

1. Hillary's joke - no big deal. It was a joke - a spontaneous one-liner. A quasi-self-deprecating mildly amusing quip. People offended by it need to go for a jog or something.

2. Don Lemon: He was making a point. He didn't really mean that there should be steps taken against white men. He was making a rhetorical point that imposing a travel ban Muslims is as unnecessary as steps taken against white men. I don't think his over-all point was accurate and he didn't state it very well, but it's nothing to get offended over.

https://blackamericaweb.com/2018/10/29/hillary-clinton-says-all-black-people-look-alike-but-was-it-a-joke/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cnns-don-lemon-slammed-for-calling-white-men-the-biggest-terror-threat-2018-10-31

I will conclude only with a general admonition to all snowflakes everywhere to suck it up, buttercup.
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 12:29
    @sh76 said
    Given that I constantly attack the left for being ridiculously politically correct, it's only fair that I say:

1. Hillary's joke - no big deal. It was a joke - a spontaneous one-liner. A quasi-self-deprecating mildly amusing quip. People offended by it need to go for a jog or something.

2. Don Lemon: He was making a point. He didn't really mean that there should be steps t ...[text shortened]... will conclude only with a general admonition to all snowflakes everywhere to suck it up, buttercup.
    I'm just imagining Don Lemon telling Megan Kelly, "suck it up buttercup."

And you saying, "Yeah."

If there are to be new rules they should apply evenly.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 12:32
    @sleepyguy said

And you saying, "Yeah."

Megan Kelly did or said nothing wrong and the outrage against her was even dumber than the outrage against Lemon or Hillary.

But three PC snowflake episodes don't make a right (though three lefts do).
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 12:43
    @sleepyguy said

And you saying, "Yeah."

I would love for Megyn Kelly to tell Don Lemon, "Suck it up buttercup"

The NAACP would lynch her in two seconds as a racist.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 14:09
    @sh76 said
    Megan Kelly did or said nothing wrong and the outrage against her was even dumber than the outrage against Lemon or Hillary.
    Yes, but Kelly's ratings are down.
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 14:422 edits
    @sh76 said

You're a nice guy sh, but like a conscientious objector in a fox hole, you are not much use in the culture war.

It's hard to feel much sympathy for Megyn Kelly, honestly, but the same rules will be applied to you and I. She made an innocent remark and lost her job over it. Lemon's actually racist remark cost him nothing. Why do you stand for it? If we let them, these a-holes will drive us from the public square using BS charges of one -ism or another. Whether it's losing one's job, being fined out of business by the state for trying to adhere to your religion, being shadow banned on social media, silently erased from search engine results, persecuted by the IRS for your political views, told to shut up because people of your race or gender don't deserve free speech, or told to shut up because people of your race or gender aren't allowed to think like that, chased, attacked, spit on, and beaten in the street for wearing the wrong hat, and on and on, we are under a real attack. This is not just some philosophical exercise, but it seems to me that you view it that way. I honestly don't get it. The bullets are snapping over your head, and you're thinking "sauce for the goose." I just don't get it.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 19:093 edits
    @sh76 said

(Sh76 replied to Sleepyguy.)

Megyn Kelly has a record of factually dubious insensitive (at best) racial remarks.
    That more likely helped rather than hindered her rise at Fox News.

https://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/12/megyn-kelly-jesus-and-santa-were-white-179491

"Megyn Kelly: Jesus and Santa were white"

"Jesus was a white man, too. It's like we have, he's a historical figure that's a verifiable fact,
    as is Santa, I just want kids to know that."
    --Megyn Kelly

"Santa Claus can be traced to a real life monk named St. Nicholas who lived in what is
    today Turkey, according to the History Channel. Jesus Christ was born to a Jewish family
    around what is now Israel, and his race has long been debated with several scholars
    saying he likely looked like what many modern day people of Middle Eastern descent look like."

Would Jesus get 'racially profiled' today like many other people from Bethlehem?

Santa Claus (the jolly figure who lives near the North Pole) is a fictional character.
    Given his expertise with reindeer, one may suppose that he's more likely come from
    indigenous people of the Arctic. Should he consider using Yakutian horses?

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20151228-the-horse-that-can-endure-siberian-winters

"The horse that can endure Siberian winters.
    In a few short centuries, the Yakutian horse has gained a large body and long,
    mammoth-like shaggy hair, allowing it to survive truly harsh conditions."

If Megyn Kelly had made a similar comment about 'yellowface' (which STILL is practiced
    by Hollywood), then hardly anyone except Asian Americans would have objected to it.

P.S. Instant 'thumbs down' presumably from the usual suspects of hateful right-wing racists here.
  8. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 19:16
    @sleepyguy said
    You're a nice guy sh, but like a conscientious objector in a fox hole, you are not much use in the culture war.

It's hard to feel much sympathy for Megyn Kelly, honestly, but the same rules will be applied to you and I. She made an innocent remark and lost her job over it. Lemon's actually racist remark cost him nothing. Why do you stand for it? If we let them, these a-h ...[text shortened]... bullets are snapping over your head, and you're thinking "sauce for the goose." I just don't get it.
    I think he has more reason to fear bullets from the Right than he does from the Left.
  9. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 19:33
    @athousandyoung said
    I think he has more reason to fear bullets from the Right than he does from the Left.
    Those were metaphorical bullets zipping over a metaphorical fox hole. But either way I disagree.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 19:52
    @sleepyguy said

It's hard to feel much sympathy for Megyn Kelly, honestly, but the same rules will be applied to you and I. She made an innocent remark and lost her job over it. Lemon's actually racist remark cost him nothing. Why do you stand for it? If we let them, these a-h ...[text shortened]... bullets are snapping over your head, and you're thinking "sauce for the goose." I just don't get it.
    More fear-mongering from the right.

How shocking.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 21:241 edit
    Don Lemon is actually correct.

Here's what he said, just to get past those who try to twist what he said to prove their racist "point".

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/don-lemon-doubles-down-on-comments-that-white-men-are-biggest-domestic-terror-threat_us_5bdaff5ce4b019a7ab5ac9d4

Someone else saying the same thing:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/domestic-terrorism-white-supremacists-islamist-extremists_us_594c46e4e4b0da2c731a84df

Here's more:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/white-supremacist-murders-2017-report_us_5a5f59b0e4b0ee2ff32c4bea
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 22:45
    @suzianne said
    Don Lemon is actually correct.

Here's what he said, just to get past those who try to twist what he said to prove their racist "point".

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/don-lemon-doubles-down-on-comments-that-white-men-are-biggest-domestic-terror-threat_us_5bdaff5ce4b019a7ab5ac9d4

Someone else saying the same thing:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/domest ...[text shortened]... tps://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/white-supremacist-murders-2017-report_us_5a5f59b0e4b0ee2ff32c4bea
    He's not (on a per capita basis, certainly).

But even if he were, he said "and something needs to be done about it."

What do you think that ought to be?
  13. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 23:12
    @sh76 said
    He's not (on a per capita basis, certainly).

But even if he were, he said "and something needs to be done about it."

What do you think that ought to be?
    The FBI SHOULD be infiltrating and arresting these people like Donnie Brasco and Billie Queen but these people run the government now so the FBI won’t do anything
  14. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 23:262 edits
    @sh76 said

2. Don Lemon: He was making a point. He didn't really mean that there should be steps t ...[text shortened]... will conclude only with a general admonition to all snowflakes everywhere to suck it up, buttercup.
    There's a tit for tat tendency that escalates this BS.

Side A acts all offended and butt hurt about some issue or other, so when Side A makes a gaffe Side B takes the opportunity to give them some back, and so it goes.

The 'Trump called Mexicans rapists' incident fed into this phenomenon.

To the snow flakes on both sides (although the left have taken this faux offence disorder to a grotesque exaggerated level) I recommend replacing the sugar in your coffee with some cement.
  15. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    02 Nov '18 00:48
    Honestly, the Hillary line is funny -- she was was not stating it in any literal sense, but she was making fun of the cultural trope of some group of people alien to oneself all looking the same.

Everyone should laugh.

It just is a bit out of character, right. We do not expect her to say that. But something tells me that comedians would have been hurt from saying this in this political environment though, so, it is a bit silly.