Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Aug '18 19:40
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/26/saudi-arabia-is-not-driving-change-it-is-trying-to-hoodwink-the-west

"Saudi Arabia is not driving change – it is trying to hoodwink the west.
    The country has lifted its ban on female drivers, but this is a rebrand, not a revolution.
    Yet many governments – and media outlets – are being taken in."
    --Arwa Mahdawi

"Allowing women behind the wheel is a PR move by Saudi Arabia, designed not
    to modernise the kingdom, but to render a repressive regime more palatable.
    Yet many western media outlets seem to be falling for this strategic
    “women-washing”, as you might call it, hook, line and blinker.
    Last month, Saudi Arabia locked up a number of women’s rights campaigners."

"It was reported last year that Saudi Arabia was setting up global public relations
    hubs to improve its international image amid its bombing of Yemen and its
    embargo of Qatar. Well, the Saudi PR machine has been very busy indeed."

"Saudi Arabia’s messaging points have been regurgitated by the media, too."

"In the 30-minute segment, only a couple were devoted to Yemen, and
    these were glossed over quickly. After all, who wants to talk about war
    crimes and dead Yemenis when you can talk about cinemas and women driving?
    Particularly when the US and the UK are complicit in Saudi Arabia’s disastrous war in Yemen."
  2. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Aug '18 20:37
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/26/saudi-arabia-is-not-driving-change-it-is-trying-to-hoodwink-the-west

The country has lifted its ban on female drivers, but this is a rebrand, not a revolution.
    --Arwa ...[text shortened]...
    Particularly when the US and the UK are complicit in Saudi Arabia’s disastrous war in Yemen."
    so SA is taking the democrat approach?
  3. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    13 Aug '18 20:55
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    Moron !!

Don't go near ancestry.com
    You might find out yer Pa is also yer Uncle.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Aug '18 21:15
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    US President Trump's a great admirer of Saudi Arabia's new de facto leader.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Aug '18 21:21

It took me till the last sentence to suss out what your motivation for this piece was.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 01:44
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    It took me till the last sentence to suss out what your motivation for this piece was.
    Is Sonhouse impressed by Saudi Arabia's propaganda campaign vilifying Canada for oppressing women?
  7. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 04:16
    Saudi politics are the business of Saudis.

I do not think a country has to become a photocopy of a Western liberal democracy to be good.

I believe in diversity -- real diversity.
  8. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 09:31
    That's where she always puts it.
  9. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 11:492 edits
    Is Sonhouse impressed by Saudi Arabia's propaganda campaign vilifying Canada for oppressing women?
    Sonhouse impressed by Saudi Arabia's propaganda campaign vilifying Canada for oppressing women?

It's interesting Duchess never talks about the way Asian countries treat women.

https://www.ilo.org/global/about-the-ilo/newsroom/news/WCMS_007994/lang--en/index.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525125/
  10. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 12:001 edit

11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 14:20
    Does Dutchess64 have reading difficulties? I read the piece. My response was not to the suppression in Saudi Arabia which is a given, my response was about your motivation as to why you put out this piece in the first place. There is no question in my mind about the suppression of women in Saudi Arabia. I have said so many times but that doesn't change my response.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 15:29
    Originally posted by @philokalia

I do not think a country has to become a photocopy of a Western liberal democracy to be good.

did you just say that you believe in real diversity when talking about a country that crucifies people?

do you believe the world has become a bleak and bland place since the Roman Empire because fewer and fewer countries practice crucifixion? that we need more diversity in that area? that a country doesn't have to become a photocopy of a western liberal democracy which doesn't practice crucifixion?

do you think the world needs more diversity in how they treat gays, like some countries may tolerate them and embrace them as human beings (which they are) and some other countries may, like the wiki page says about LGBTQ rights in Saudi Arabia, "punish acts of homosexuality or cross-dressing with punishments ranging from fines, floggings, to life in prison, death, and torture" ?

how about thievery? do you think we need more diversity in how we handle thievery? like community service or even imprisonment in some countries and having your hand cut off in Saudi Arabia?

Giving you the benefit of doubt, i would say you are simply too ignorant about what Saudi Arabia does and/or you are too stupid to understand just what your "I believe in diversity, real diversity" comment implies.

If you aren't too stupid and you know what laws are currently in Saudi Arabia, you are, simply put, one very evil fuker.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 17:18
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Sonhouse impressed by Saudi Arabia's propaganda campaign vilifying Canada for oppressing women?

It's interesting Duchess never talks about the way Asian countries treat women.

https://www.ilo.org/global/about-the-ilo/newsroom/news/WCMS_007994/lang--en/index.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525125/
    The lying troll Mchill keeps lying.

"It's interesting Duchess never talks about the way Asian countries treat women."
    --Mchill

FALSE. Another blatant lie by the troll Mchill.

Here's my recently created thread:
    https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/tokyo-medical-school-admits-changing-results-to-exclude-women.178059

""Tokyo medical school admits changing results to exclude women"

Contrary to Mchill's preferred racist stereotyping, the treatment of women varies much
    in Asia (compare Israel and Saudi Arabia) or even in East Asia. Japan is regarded as
    more sexist than China, Taiwan, or Korea (South).
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 17:27
    Does Dutchess64 have reading difficulties? I read the piece. My response was not to the suppression in Saudi Arabia which is a given, my response was about your motivation as to why you put out this piece in the first place. There is no question in my mind about the suppression of women in Saudi Arabia. I have said so many times but that doesn't change my response.
    Can Sonhouse comprehend a simple question?
    "Is Sonhouse impressed by Saudi Arabia's propaganda campaign vilifying Canada for oppressing women?"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-saudi-arabia-women_us_5b6e05fbe4b0ae32af982749

"The New Saudi Arabia Is A Lot Like The Old Saudi Arabia When It Comes To Women
    A dispute with Canada over jailed women activists pits Saudi feminists and allies around
    the world against the planet’s most misogynistic government."
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 17:31
    Originally posted by @philokalia

So the avowed Christian Philokalia would prefer not to criticize Saudi Arabia for repressing Christians, right?