Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    16 Jan '15 07:56
    ... they have some nice churches ...
  2. 16 Jan '15 08:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    ... they have some nice churches ...
    they made slavery illegal
  3. 16 Jan '15 08:34
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    ... they have some nice churches ...
    They sometimes do charity work without proselytizing.

    No wait.

    They didn't support slavery throughout the majority of their history.

    No, seriously, I'll think of something. Uhm...

    Most christians I know are nice people.
  4. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    16 Jan '15 09:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    they made slavery illegal
    Prior to that they made it legal.
  5. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    16 Jan '15 10:46
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Prior to that they made it legal.
    More than that, they made it God's will. (Or was that God swill?)
  6. 16 Jan '15 10:56
    All Christians or some Christians?

    Most of my family are Christian and I would say they are good people. I am not convinced they are good people because they are Christian.

    I was taught at a school run by the Christian brothers, a group of Catholics from Ireland. Very nice people who have dedicated their lives to educating the less fortunate, and they did not try to convert me.
  7. 16 Jan '15 10:59
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Prior to that they made it legal.
    The primary motivating force for the abolition of slavery was a Christian one advocated by Christians, that being that all men were considered brothers. You cannot negate this with what was formerly practised unless of course you are also willing to assert that understanding is not progressive. Are you?
  8. 16 Jan '15 11:01
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    ... they have some nice churches ...
    The created awesome art!
  9. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    16 Jan '15 11:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    All Christians or some Christians?

    Most of my family are Christian and I would say they are good people. I am not convinced they are good people because they are Christian.

    I was taught at a school run by the Christian brothers, a group of Catholics from Ireland. Very nice people who have dedicated their lives to educating the less fortunate, and they did not try to convert me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congregation_of_Christian_Brothers

    Very nice people who have dedicated their lives to educating the less fortunate
    The Christian Brothers are not and never were very nice people and dedicated their lives mostly to making life a misery. They are subject to legal action to compensate for abuse in all the countries where they have operated and, as far as I know, in Ireland at least they have disappeared from the scene.

    My older brother had their tender mercies until driven to leave school at 14, to his irreparable disadvantage. I went to a CB school briefly before moving to England. Every single lesson was characterised by bullying language and the incessant application of physical punishment using a variety of implements, both leather and wooden. Far from being cowed, my group in the class perfected the art of inciting teachers into punishing large numbers of boys, which brought all thought of teaching to an end and left us free to swap toys at the back of the class while the teacher was leathering away at the front. The bruises we could live with.

    Ah but you know you miss them now they're gone.
  10. 16 Jan '15 13:12
    Originally posted by finnegan
    The Christian Brothers are not and never were very nice people and dedicated their lives mostly to making life a misery.
    That may be true of some of them, but it is not true of all of them. The ones I knew, were as I described them - nice people dedicated to teaching.
  11. Subscriber invigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    16 Jan '15 13:32
    Bale was good in Batman, Slater was good Heathers, Beneteke had a good season for Villa a couple of years ago!
  12. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 Jan '15 14:33
    They taught us how to treat a woman.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Jan '15 19:27 / 1 edit
    They were an awesome foil for Christopher Hitchens. The greatest Hitchslaps of all time were directed against them.
  14. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    16 Jan '15 19:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The primary motivating force for the abolition of slavery was a Christian one advocated by Christians, that being that all men were considered brothers. You cannot negate this with what was formerly practised unless of course you are also willing to assert that understanding is not progressive. Are you?
    I don't think replacing chattel slavery with serfdom really cuts it.
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    17 Jan '15 00:08
    They got people to stop worshipping War.

    Mars is a bloodthirsty god. Huitzilopotchli too.