Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 04:34
    ... And apparently they were sending images of the beheading to one of the parents to further terrorize them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6519527/ISIS-fanatics-sent-video-showing-Scandinavian-tourist-beheaded-friends.html

"ISIS beheading image was sent to victim's MOTHER: Fanatics 'gloated about filming the killing of Scandinavian tourist and her friend in Morocco'

ISIS fanatics gloated about the killing of Dane Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, and Norwegian Maren Ueland, 28, by spreading the gruesome footage on social media.

The clip, in which a suspected ISIS terrorist shouts 'it's Allah's will', was also sent to friends of Ms Jespersen via 'private messenger', it has been claimed.

It has since been revealed that horrific images of the slain tourists have been posted on the Facebook page of Ms Ueland's mother Irene. Some Moroccans bizarrely posted the images in a misguided bid to express sympathy along with calls for the killers to be executed.

Earlier, it was claimed that footage itself had been sent to friends of Ms Jespersen. While it is not clear exactly who sent them the footage, there will be strong suspicions it would have been from warped ISIS sympathisers.

It is possible the attackers may have seized Ms Jespersen's phone, giving them access to her contacts.

Ms Jespersen and Ms Ueland were found dead near the village of Imlil in Morocco's High Atlas mountains.

New York Times correspondent Rukmini Callimachi tweeted: 'A European official close to the investigation confirmed that the beheading video was sent by private messenger to friends of the killed Danish woman by unknown senders who appeared to have Moroccan profiles. Police is investigating.' "

There are also social media posts that have implied that Ms. Ueland made social media posts of her own that were sympathetic to refugees and Muslims, perhaps implying that some of the motive for her trip there would be to reinforce her naive beliefs about the universal benevolence of man.
  2. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 04:531 edit
    2 less stupid people in the world.
    Seriously...who takes a trip to a country that has radicals or possibly terrorists?
    You might as well go to North Korea and start waving an American flag.

She ain't sympathetic no more.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 05:20
    @nomorechess said
    Seriously...who takes a trip to a country that has radicals or possibly terrorists?

Morocco is a popular tourist destination for Europeans.
    It's good to see the world.

I wonder if Morocco is less or more dangerous than US?

Anyway the Moroccan authorities have arrested the 4 men who are ISIS supporters.
  4. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 06:23
    @wolfgang59 said
    Morocco is a popular tourist destination for Europeans.
    It's good to see the world.

I wonder if Morocco is less or more dangerous than US?

Anyway the Moroccan authorities have arrested the 4 men who are ISIS supporters.
    Right, Morocco is a popular tourist destination. It is also one fo the safer countries there. Operative word being safer.

Wolfgang brings up an interesting question...

Obviously, the US is a horrible place when it comes to crime in comparison to other first world nations. So, when we tell you that multicultural, diverse societies aren't the strongest of ones, you might want to listen a bit. We've been trying to hold hands & sing kumbaya for half a century without any good results to show for it.

But, having said that, I have no doubt that any place a European would move to and live at in the US, if they have a remotely middle class income, is safer and generally superior to Morocco.

The thing is... Our ghettos are really bad. We're the only first world nation in the world with cities in the top 50 most violent cities of the world list.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 06:43
    @philokalia said
    Right, Morocco is a popular tourist destination. It is also one fo the safer countries there. Operative word being safer.

Wolfgang brings up an interesting question...

Obviously, the US is a horrible place when it comes to crime in comparison to other first world nations. So, when we tell you that multicultural, diverse societies aren't the [i]strongest of on ...[text shortened]... nly first world nation in the world with cities in the top 50 most violent cities of the world list.
    Well this thread started about a double murder in
    Morocco, something probably quite common in US
    and exceedingly uncommon in Morocco. The murder
    rate in US is approx FOUR TIMES HIGHER in US than
    Morocco. So I'm not sure what the discussion is about.
  6. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 08:18
    @nomorechess said

I was in the US earlier this year.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 09:01
    @shavixmir said
    I was in the US earlier this year.
    Congratulations on surviving!
    The homicide rate in US is about 4 times that of Morocco (and UK).

I hope you were not persecuted for being atheist?
  8. Germany
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 09:12
    @wolfgang59 said
    Well this thread started about a double murder in
    Morocco, something probably quite common in US
    and exceedingly uncommon in Morocco. The murder
    rate in US is approx FOUR TIMES HIGHER in US than
    Morocco. So I'm not sure what the discussion is about.
    I think the point Philokalia was attempting to make is: "Muslims bad, hurr durr, herpa derpa derp."
  9. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 09:26
    @nomorechess said

Ah yes, the legendary compassion, empathy, and grace of right wingers.
  10. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 09:46
    @nomorechess said

Channelling your @seitse much!
  11. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 10:06
    @kazetnagorra said
    I think the point Philokalia was attempting to make is: "Muslims bad, hurr durr, herpa derpa derp."
    Actually it was just a point about terrorism in the point about how Islam tends to motivate extremists attitude.

They feel that they are at war with the Western way of life, end of course some of this is motivated and exacerbated by geopolitical realities.

The real point is that the world isn't this happy, United place where everyone can feel safe everywhere. And the idea that we can continue to bring in Endless immigration from Muslim countries and not expect things like what just happened in France, and things that happened in Morocco to occur is foolish.

You could also read more about my point in the other post I made here regarding the crime rates of the United States. There's some relevant analysis there that you might find interesting.
  12. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 10:09
    @wolfgang59 said
    Congratulations on surviving!
    The homicide rate in US is about 4 times that of Morocco (and UK).

I hope you were not persecuted for being atheist?
    Fortunately, the income disparity in the de facto desegregation that exist in the United States insulates a lot of people from that.

It is doubtful that anyone from Europe or Asia who isn't looking for trouble would go to a place where trouble would find them.

However, there was that issue in the 90s mostly of criminals targeting foreigners particularly in Florida. I believe they had to change the license plates that you get on cars so as not identify them as rentals because our local criminal class were targeting them.

This really is a bit of a different topic.

Your comparison is kind of bad because it doesn't handle the issue with radical Islam in the geopolitics, and it also is bringing up another issue where I think liberals perform far worse in the arguments. It's also highly doubtful that you're actually suggesting that the US become harder on crime.

One thing that American conservatives always campaign on is tougher laws, tougher sentences. Emphasizing us crime problems plays perfectly well into the hands of conservative.
  13. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 10:21
    @philokalia said
    And the idea that we can continue to bring in Endless immigration from Muslim countries and not expect things like what just happened in France, and things that happened in Morocco to occur is foolish.
    Endless immigration. Classic hyperbole.

Also, are you saying that the recent hardening of language and attitude in European/Western countries towards Islamic ones are the reason for this attack?
  14. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 10:23
    @philokalia said
    It is doubtful that anyone from Europe or Asia who isn't looking for trouble would go to a place where trouble would find them.
    Yes, tourists never visit Las Vegas, Florida, night clubs or schools.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '18 10:26
    @philokalia said
    ... And apparently they were sending images of the beheading to one of the parents to further terrorize them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6519527/ISIS-fanatics-sent-video-showing-Scandinavian-tourist-beheaded-friends.html

"ISIS beheading image was sent to victim's MOTHER: Fanatics 'gloated about filming the killing of Scandinavian tourist and her frie ...[text shortened]... e for her trip there would be to reinforce her naive beliefs about the universal benevolence of man.
    I thought Trump said that ISIS was "defeated"?

What about that?