Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 15 Apr '09 15:23
    He's always criticising Israel and the US for their policies regarding Palestine.

But what exactly does he want the middle-east to be like? does scherzo want to wipe Israel off the map for good, believing that is the wisest thing to do for the greater good?
    Or does he want jews to be subservient to muslims?

He didn't condemn extremism from muslim leaders, why is that? does he secretly support them?
  2. 15 Apr '09 18:39
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    He's always criticising Israel and the US for their policies regarding Palestine.

But what exactly does he want the middle-east to be like? does scherzo want to wipe Israel off the map for good, believing that is the wisest thing to do for the greater good?
    Or does he want jews to be subservient to muslims?

He didn't condemn extremism from muslim leaders, why is that? does he secretly support them?
    I think scherzo may have a point, at least to some extent. For example, how can it be considered morally and legally correct to forcibly expel people from their homes and land, as happened after WWII? Some of those mistreated people are still alive and hteir decendants are definitely alive. Property was stolen.

What to do about it? Tough one. Too much time has now passed to simply give the homes and land back and, in any case, that would also mean expulsion of families.

Here is a suggestion: The world should put massive investment into what remains of Palestine and, perhaps, other undeveloped Arab regions. Build decent homes, invest in the areas. In this way, the West can be seen as giving the land back, at least to some extent, and saying sorry for what they did, we won't do it again.
  3. 15 Apr '09 19:55
    Originally posted by znsho
    I think scherzo may have a point, at least to some extent. For example, how can it be considered morally and legally correct to forcibly expel people from their homes and land, as happened after WWII? Some of those mistreated people are still alive and hteir decendants are definitely alive. Property was stolen.

What to do about it? Tough one. Too much time ...[text shortened]... e land back, at least to some extent, and saying sorry for what they did, we won't do it again.
    I like your suggestion. Good idea.
  4. 15 Apr '09 20:29
    A thread just about me?!? Oh, you shouldn't have!

By the way, I do see many things wrong with most Arab governments. I know the most about the governments of Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine, and Iraq, and none of these are in any way perfect (in fact all are severely flawed).
  5. 15 Apr '09 20:45
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I like your suggestion. Good idea.
    I think the suggestion is good in theory. But what does he mean by the world? does he mean the countries in the g20? and what would they get out of it?
  6. 15 Apr '09 20:50

What to do about it? Tough one. Too much time ...[text shortened]... e land back, at least to some extent, and saying sorry for what they did, we won't do it again.
    So you're willing to recognize Israel's right to exist?
  7. 15 Apr '09 21:50
    I think the suggestion is good in theory. But what does he mean by the world? does he mean the countries in the g20? and what would they get out of it?
    I meant the richer countries and those responsible for the silly post WWII decision. UK, USA mostly. I should have said The West, not the world.
  8. 15 Apr '09 21:51
    I meant the richer countries and those responsible for the silly post WWII decision. UK, USA mostly. I should have said The West, not the world.
    Israel.
  9. 15 Apr '09 21:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by scherzo
    So you're willing to recognize Israel's right to exist?
    Now we are getting philosophical. Does ANY country have the right to exist? As a biochemist, I see the world scientifically. It's been here a very long time and is always changing. Humans have been around for about 100,000 years. When was the first country formed? By what criteria?

Go back in time, Israel has a right to exist. Go back further in time, Israel does not have the right to exist.

I am English. Or am I? Are the real English in Wales, Cornwall, Scotland and Ireland?

I hope you see my point.
  10. 15 Apr '09 21:56
    Now we are getting philosophical. Does ANY country have the right to exist? As a biochemist, I see the world scientifically. It's been here a very long time and is always changing. Humans have been around for about 100,000 years. When was the first country formed? By what criteria?

Go back in time, Israel has a right to exist. Go back further in time, Israe ...[text shortened]... m I? Are the real English in Wales, Cornwall, Scotland and Ireland.

I hope you see my point.
    Now we are getting philosophical. Does ANY country have the right to exist?

Yes. Biophysics doesn't come in anywhere.

And Israel has no right to exist and it never did.
  11. 15 Apr '09 21:56
    Israel.
    Agreed.
  12. 15 Apr '09 21:57
    Israel.
    Why?
  13. 15 Apr '09 21:57
    [b]Now we are getting philosophical. Does ANY country have the right to exist?

Yes. Biophysics doesn't come in anywhere.

And Israel has no right to exist and it never did.[/b]
    Biophysics?!!!

By what criteria does a country have aright to exist and by what criteria does Israel not have the right to exist?
  14. 15 Apr '09 21:58
    Why?
    Rich country, they benefited from stolen homes and land.
  15. 15 Apr '09 22:00
    Rich country, they benefited from stolen homes and land.
    So did the US, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, and everyone else.