Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    22 Dec '15 01:211 edit
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12061787/Intelligence-genes-discovered-by-scientists.html

    Now Imperial College London has found that two networks of genes determine whether people are intelligent or not-so-bright.
    They liken the gene network to a football team. When all the players are in the right positions, the brain appears to function optimally, leading to clarity of thought and what we think of as quickness or cleverness.
    However when the genes are mutated or in the wrong order, it can lead to dullness of thinking, or even serious cognitive impairments.
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    22 Dec '15 12:39
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12061787/Intelligence-genes-discovered-by-scientists.html

    [b]Now Imperial College London has found that two networks of genes determine whether people are intelligent or not-so-bright.
    They liken the gene network to a football team. When all the players are in the right positions, the brain appears to f ...[text shortened]... the wrong order, it can lead to dullness of thinking, or even serious cognitive impairments.
    [/b]
    I got the good jeans………by god!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52853
    22 Dec '15 12:541 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12061787/Intelligence-genes-discovered-by-scientists.html

    [b]Now Imperial College London has found that two networks of genes determine whether people are intelligent or not-so-bright.
    They liken the gene network to a football team. When all the players are in the right positions, the brain appears to f ...[text shortened]... the wrong order, it can lead to dullness of thinking, or even serious cognitive impairments.
    [/b]
    So the question that pops up in my mind, the slow people, can fixing the genes make them smarter? That would be a great boon to humanity, we need all the smart people we can get. Smart people are a tiny minority, dull people are vast majority.

    Reminds me a bit of Poul Andersen's "Brain Wave' although people getting smart did not come from genetic engineering in that story.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    22 Dec '15 14:231 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So the question that pops up in my mind, the slow people, can fixing the genes make them smarter? That would be a great boon to humanity, we need all the smart people we can get. Smart people are a tiny minority, dull people are vast majority.

    Reminds me a bit of Poul Andersen's "Brain Wave' although people getting smart did not come from genetic engineering in that story.
    You assume the intelligence is what is wrong with the species.

    Look at climate change. Some smarty figured out how to convert fossil fuels into energy. Now they say it is destroying us.

    I know, I know, now we need to use our smarts to "fix" everything.

    Good luck with that.

    Interestingly, animals are viewed as "natural" and humans unnatural, and even compared to a virus. It seems to me that our intelligence is the reason humans are so negatively viewed. Why then would increased intelligence be our savior?
  5. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    22 Dec '15 14:32
    No news here, the apple don't fall far from the tree, people who say intelligence isn't inherited are mistaken, it isn't nurture, it's nature.
  6. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    22 Dec '15 14:34
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    No news here, the apple don't fall far from the tree, people who say intelligence isn't inherited are mistaken, it isn't nurture, it's nature.
    Actually, the evidence suggests it is a combination of both. If you have someone with, say, my genes, and you put them on a daily diet of heroin and alcohol and have them perform manual labour, they certainly aren't going to be as brilliant as I am.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7291
    22 Dec '15 15:45
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Actually, the evidence suggests it is a combination of both.
    Yeah, but that's too subtle, balanced and scientific for a headline, let alone on <---- that side of the pond.
  8. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    22 Dec '15 15:46
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Actually, the evidence suggests it is a combination of both. If you have someone with, say, my genes, and you put them on a daily diet of heroin and alcohol and have them perform manual labour, they certainly aren't going to be as brilliant as I am.
    Yes , agreed, but the people who claim all kids are even at birth and with the right education and upbringing they can all be equally smart are wrong, likewise the claim that IQ isn't inherited.
    Fact is stupid people generally have stupid kids, I've seen it first hand with many years of dealing with kids and their parents, and smart people usually have bright kids.
    There are all kinds of exceptions, of course, but generally speaking that's the way it goes. Not too often do you see a pair of dopes have a gifted child, it can happen , but it's rare.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    22 Dec '15 16:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Actually, the evidence suggests it is a combination of both. If you have someone with, say, my genes, and you put them on a daily diet of heroin and alcohol and have them perform manual labour, they certainly aren't going to be as brilliant as I am.
    If it is both, then you agree that IQ is linked to genetics! Good for you.

    According to the article which has the greater influence, genetics or environment?
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    22 Dec '15 16:11
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If it is both, then you agree that IQ is linked to genetics! Good for you.

    According to the article which has the greater influence, genetics or environment?
    Oooooh, ooooh, I'm raising my hand, pick me to answer !
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52853
    22 Dec '15 16:29
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Yes , agreed, but the people who claim all kids are even at birth and with the right education and upbringing they can all be equally smart are wrong, likewise the claim that IQ isn't inherited.
    Fact is stupid people generally have stupid kids, I've seen it first hand with many years of dealing with kids and their parents, and smart people usually hav ...[text shortened]... es. Not too often do you see a pair of dopes have a gifted child, it can happen , but it's rare.
    The real deal is genetically we as a race aim for an average IQ, and if you have an IQ of 190 and you marry a person with the same, the parents will be a bit disappointed (on average) since IQ tends towards 100. So the 190 parents might have kids smarter than average but not on a statistical basis smarter than the parents, but mostly dumber. How much dumber is also a crap shoot. They could be most any IQ #, 180 to 120 probably.

    On the other end of the spectrum, a guy with IQ of 80 marries a gal with IQ 80 will have on average, kids smarter than the parents, tending back UP to 100,

    They could in fact have kids with IQ's of 150, its a crap shoot statistically speaking.

    For some reason, my wife, my former wife, my present wife's X and I have generated a really large batch of high IQ kids, one having a 170 and now a grandson with at least that number. We are beating the statistical odds for some strange reason. We are going against the genetic grain.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    22 Dec '15 16:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The real deal is genetically we as a race aim for an average IQ, and if you have an IQ of 190 and you marry a person with the same, the parents will be a bit disappointed (on average) since IQ tends towards 100. So the 190 parents might have kids smarter than average but not on a statistical basis smarter than the parents, but mostly dumber. How much dumber ...[text shortened]... re beating the statistical odds for some strange reason. We are going against the genetic grain.
    Your ideological beliefs seem to be clouding your natural IQ.

    The IQ does not regress to 100. This is why smart people have smart kids. One generation may increase and the other decrease, but the numbers do not jump from 170 to 70 then back to 170.

    http://www.rense.com/general79/dut.htm

    But if you choose to fight the evidence, here's what you're up against. Among white Americans, the average IQ, as of a decade or so ago, was 103. Among Asian-Americans, it was 106. Among Jewish Americans, it was 113. Among Latino Americans, it was 89. Among African-Americans, it was 85. Around the world, studies find the same general pattern: whites 100, East Asians 106, sub-Sarahan Africans 70. One IQ table shows 113 in Hong Kong, 110 in Japan, and 100 in Britain. White populations in Australia, Canada, Europe, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United States score closer to one another than to the worldwide black average. It's been that way for at least a century.


    According to this you are correct about the average of 100 for whites, but that's just whites. Asian average IQ is higher and others are lower. These are just overall averages. If you simply pick the very brightest with the very brightest, then the average will be higher and the offspring would approach that average.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Joined
    21 Oct '06
    Moves
    2598
    22 Dec '15 16:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The real deal is genetically we as a race aim for an average IQ, and if you have an IQ of 190 and you marry a person with the same, the parents will be a bit disappointed (on average) since IQ tends towards 100. So the 190 parents might have kids smarter than average but not on a statistical basis smarter than the parents, but mostly dumber. How much dumber ...[text shortened]... re beating the statistical odds for some strange reason. We are going against the genetic grain.
    It used to be commonly thought that IQ was predetermined, and could not be improved. Not so much any more.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52853
    22 Dec '15 16:51
    Originally posted by normbenign
    It used to be commonly thought that IQ was predetermined, and could not be improved. Not so much any more.
    Of course, latest research shows how plastic the brain really is, able to fix damage from strokes and such. I think eventually we will know enough about the brain to take a 100 IQ person and pump it up to 150.

    Not in my lifetime but I bet it will happen.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52853
    22 Dec '15 16:571 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Your ideological beliefs seem to be clouding your natural IQ.

    The IQ does not regress to 100. This is why smart people have smart kids. One generation may increase and the other decrease, but the numbers do not jump from 170 to 70 then back to 170.

    http://www.rense.com/general79/dut.htm

    [b] But if you choose to fight the evidence, here's what you ...[text shortened]... e very brightest, then the average will be higher and the offspring would approach that average.
    I am not talking about individual outcomes, just the averages of a larger population.

    There is one large study saying IQ have risen significantly in the last 100 years or so.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31556802

    The implications are if we today took an IQ test from 100 years ago we would average an IQ of 130 or if a person from 100 years ago took one today, he or she would come out at 70.

    A curious effect. So is this indicating humanity is actually getting smarter or is it just due to better health in general, better nutrition and so forth?

    That is another area of ongoing research.

    I hope it is that we are getting smarter. Which goes against my previous post🙂
Back to Top