Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 11:551 edit
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that

Martin Luther King, Jr.

For those that think that there should be no link between church and state, for those who think that the answers to our political needs today must be devoid of religious thought, I challenge them to support tearing out the Martin Luther King Memorial in Washington DC.

Naturally, no one would ever do that. MLK showed us the true nature of racism and hate, and that is, it is a spiritual problem. It really has nothing to do with the color of our skin or our race. And just think where the Civil Rights movement would be if MLK had not embraced the teachings of Christ and his message of "love our enemies". They would probably be where the Palestinian people are today as they send their children out into the streets to blow themselves up in opposition so the Zionist state.

And is today any different? As I hear hate preached on both sides of the political isle, MLK should remind us of the real answers that we need to embrace. It is a counterintuitive, it is other worldly. It is by far the hardest thing to and I would even argue it takes the divine to help us do it, and that is, love your enemy.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 12:56
    Keep in mind that MLK's religion was also used to justify slavery.

Religion can be used for good or for evil; but since religion isn't based on objective, rational criteria, it has no place in government.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 14:01
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Keep in mind that MLK's religion was also used to justify slavery.

Religion can be used for good or for evil; but since religion isn't based on objective, rational criteria, it has no place in government.
    Dr. King was a Christian and he did not advocate slavery.

You can use religion to try and justify just about anything. Hitler even claimed to be one. The question becomes, should a religious voice be crushed on the notion that it is based upon religion. Is religion inferior to human reasoning?
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 15:31
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Is religion inferior to human reasoning?
    Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyes.

The answer is yes.

Git your fairytales outta here.
  5. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 19:03
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that

Martin Luther King, Jr.

For those that think that there should be no link between church and state, for those who think that the answers to our political needs today must be devoid of religious thought, I challenge them to support tearing out t ...[text shortened]... ng to and I would even argue it takes the divine to help us do it, and that is, love your enemy.
    You need religion to do that ?
    That's the problem !!
    Religious types claim ownership of the moral good.
    Or that they have the self appointed right to impose their values on others.
    Hogwash !!

I for one say that freedom of religion can also mean freedom from religion.

If you need the Bible to tell you that you shouldn't kill people, then I say that you are stupid.