Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    18 Jan '11 20:10 / 1 edit
    Reports are coming out now. So far only one person in critical condition...could have been worse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12221865
  2. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    18 Jan '11 20:49
    Latest reports say ATY was found to be patrolling the area looking for accomplices in his bike.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    18 Jan '11 20:58
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/01/suspect-in-gardena-high-school-shooting-surrenders-students-in-classroom-safe.html
  4. 18 Jan '11 21:36
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Latest reports say ATY was found to be patrolling the area looking for accomplices in his bike.
    ATY was last seen listing to Rush Limbaugh at a Tea Party rally.

God help us all!!
  5. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    18 Jan '11 22:33
    Having trouble believing the accuracy of the press.... the gun went off once and three or more people are injured?

"Officials said the gun went off, with one bullet hitting several students"

Possible... I guess... must have been a a very crowded room. Even then...

And one of the stories seems to indicate he dropped his backpack carrying the gun. So, he had a round chambered, dropped his bag, it managed to go off, and then hit "several" people? If that's really the case, he's even more unlucky than he is stupid.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    18 Jan '11 22:47
    Originally posted by Palynka
    South Park clip, may be "bad" words
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QJ8NKK-i24
  7. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    18 Jan '11 23:56
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Having trouble believing the accuracy of the press.... the gun went off once and three or more people are injured?

"Officials said the gun went off, with one bullet hitting several students"

Possible... I guess... must have been a a very crowded room. Even then...

And one of the stories seems to indicate he dropped his backpack carrying the ...[text shortened]... t "several" people? If that's really the case, he's even more unlucky than he is stupid.
    I would guess a 1911 style pistol with the safety off.
  8. 19 Jan '11 00:16
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I would guess a 1911 style pistol with the safety off.
    Even with the safety off, a 1911 wouldn't go off if dropped.
    Trigger HAS to be pulled.
  9. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    19 Jan '11 00:43
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    I read somewhere that the gun went off while still inside his backpack. I could see a cocked and un-holstered 1911 going off that way if the trigger got hit while in the pack. Otherwise I don't get it.
  10. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    19 Jan '11 01:05
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Depends on the configuration but most 1911s don't have drop safeties. Nothing is holding the firing pin away from the primer. Drop the gun, and it can detonate. As is the case with a majority of guns.

It's a frequently debated issue by gun nuts ... whether it's better to carry your gun with a round chambered and ready to fire.. and how risky that really is. Personally, I've never had the will to test my own gun by dropping it repeatedly and seeing if it will shoot me.
  11. 19 Jan '11 05:42
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I read somewhere that the gun went off while still inside his backpack. I could see a cocked and un-holstered 1911 going off that way if the trigger got hit while in the pack. Otherwise I don't get it.
    guns dont just go off.
    guns dont shoot people.
    people shoot people using guns.
    a gun is nothing more than a device. a tool. a inanimate object.
    same as a sword,knife, or a SUV. They do not kill people.
    people kill people.( sometimes grizzly bears and sharks do too)
  12. 19 Jan '11 05:59
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    guns dont just go off.
    guns dont shoot people.
    people shoot people using guns.
    a gun is nothing more than a device. a tool. a inanimate object.
    same as a sword,knife, or a SUV. They do not kill people.
    people kill people.( sometimes grizzly bears and sharks do too)
    Interesting retorics. Indeed interesting.

So you don't mind atom bombs in Iran? Because nukes are not dangerous. Nukes don't fly and destroy other cities by themselves. They don't just go off and kill people by themselves. Nukes are nothing more than devices. Inanimate objects, same as a sword, knife, or a SUV.

These are not my opinions. I just use your retorics. Nothing more.
  13. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    19 Jan '11 06:40
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    ...a gun is nothing more than a device, a tool, a inanimate object, same as a sword, knife, or an SUV. They do not kill people...
    Every "inanimate object" still has a purpose. The purpose of a car is to transport. And a gun has one - and only one - purpose: to kill. Yes, people ultimately kill other people through actions, but guns fulfill their purposes as means to facilitate those actions.

So forgive me if I say that I would not mind regulating (strictly) the means through which people kill one another, even if that purpose - to kill - could be accomplished through other means.
  14. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    19 Jan '11 06:51
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Interesting retorics. Indeed interesting.

So you don't mind atom bombs in Iran? Because nukes are not dangerous. Nukes don't fly and destroy other cities by themselves. They don't just go off and kill people by themselves. Nukes are nothing more than devices. Inanimate objects, same as a sword, knife, or a SUV.

These are not my opinions. I just use your retorics. Nothing more.
    Two words:

Objective Threat.

Millions of people own and gain pleasure or security from guns, some hunt, some appreciate the history of an antique weapon, the engineering in a modern high tech weapon, the sense of security, the deterent factor. They do not pose a threat, they do not go on a shoot up in gun free zones like school yards. If Iran could prove they could be trusted with a bomb then that's ok but that proof would be so stringent that good advice for them is 'don't bother'.
  15. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    19 Jan '11 06:52
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    [b]So forgive me if...b]
    You are not forgiven.