Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 Oct '17 12:47 / 1 edit
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/jerry-seinfeld-admits-apos-seinfeld-142820704.html

Jerry Seinfeld was the star of a late night event at The New Yorker Festival Friday, where New Yorker magazine editor David Remnick asked the comedian about politically incorrect jokes from the show, “Seinfeld.”

Remnick played a clip from the 1993 episode, “The Cigar Store Indian” for Seinfeld and the audience. That episode involves Seinfeld’s character repeatedly offending a Native American woman he’s trying to date. Part of this involves the Seinfeld character gifting a cigar store Indian statue to his friend, Elaine. The Seinfeld character later insinuates the Native American is an “Indian giver,” a derogatory term used by white settlers to describe Native Americans.

At one point in the episode, the character, Kramer, shouts to the woman and Seinfeld that he now has the offensive statue and makes a loud attempt at whooping sounds.

You could never do that today. Jerry Seinfeld on a politically incorrect "Seinfeld" episode

Related Searches
    Jerry Seinfeld TicketsJerry Seinfeld NetflixJerry SeinfeldJerry Seinfeld TourHow Old Is Jerry Seinfeld
    “You could never do that today,” Seinfeld said of the episode to Remnick. According to Deadline, which reported about the event, Remnick asked if not being able to do those kinds of jokes today was a loss to the culture. “One door closes, another opens,” Seinfeld responded. “There’s always a joke, you’ve just got to find it.”

The conversation started around 10 p.m. and took place at the New York Society for Ethical Culture, a private school that Seinfeld and Remnick apparently both sent children. Deadline described the 90-minute conversation as a mixture of “stand-up, deconstruction of stand-up, and reflections on [Seinfeld’s] singular path to the top of the comedy heap.”

Perhaps the ungodly evening start time for the talk helped Seinfeld ― a notoriously meticulous performer ― open up a bit more by channelling the potential for sleep-deprived delirium to speak off the cuff.
  2. 08 Oct '17 13:04
    Luckily, the Dukes of Hazard was pulled off the air. This was necessary because the car used in the sit com proudly displayed a confederate flag.

https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/01/reruns-of-the-dukes-of-hazzard-taken-off-the-air/
  3. 08 Oct '17 13:59
    Maybe the Seinfeld actors should be boycotted and go find real work?
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    08 Oct '17 14:19 / 2 edits
    I've seen that episode.

Jerry accidentally offends a Native American woman, due to the fact that so many references to Native Americans being steeped in American culture (such as major sporting teams and expressions). The point of the episode is about how hard it can be to avoid offending an ethnicity (in this case, Native American) when cultural references are so ingrained in U.S. culture. At the end, Jerry doesn't "imply" she's an "Indian giver", but stops short of accidentally saying an expression that was so normal to him.

Knowing this, Seinfeld is obviously not trying to excuse cultural insensitivity. He's merely saying that this generation is much more sensitive to using a person's race as a punchline.

So if Whodey's point is to use Seinfeld as an excuse to offend (non-white) cultures at his leisure, he's—unsurprisingly—wrong.
  5. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    09 Oct '17 03:03
    Seinfeld is the funniest sitcom since Blackadder
  6. 09 Oct '17 03:43
    Originally posted by @vivify
    I've seen that episode.

Jerry accidentally offends a Native American woman, due to the fact that so many references to Native Americans being steeped in American culture (such as major sporting teams and expressions). The point of the episode is about how hard it can be to avoid offending an ethnicity (in this case, Native American) when cultural refer ...[text shortened]... Seinfeld as an excuse to offend (non-white) cultures at his leisure, he's—unsurprisingly—wrong.
    Insensitive bigot.

I bet the trail of tears gave you a good laugh as well.

Very telling.
  7. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    09 Oct '17 06:35
    It’s a comedy.
    It’s the role of comedy to take the pish.

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.
  8. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    09 Oct '17 07:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/jerry-seinfeld-admits-apos-seinfeld-142820704.html

Jerry Seinfeld was the star of a late night event at The New Yorker Festival Friday, where New Yorker magazine editor David Remnick asked the comedian about politically incorrect jokes from the show, “Seinfeld.”

Remnick played a clip from the 1993 episode, “The Cigar Stor ...[text shortened]... en up a bit more by channelling the potential for sleep-deprived delirium to speak off the cuff.
    So you are berating a 24 year old episode? Where were you 24 years ago? It seems to lose a bit of punch calling him out a quarter century later. Seinfeld is approaching billionaire status so he is not likely going to cry if the entire show was pulled but it won't be since sponsors make too much money off it even in reruns.

Personally I never liked the show, thought it was the silliest production on TV.
  9. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    09 Oct '17 08:08 / 3 edits
    Wouldn't make a fifth season no matter how much they offered him. That's class.

Look at the Big Bag Theory : 4 nerds, one who makes a friendship with a girl he has a crush on. That was the basis for 2 or 3 seasons. Now everyone's got girlfriends and getting serious about their r'ship. Puke!! They made it into every other crap sitcom.
    Seinfeld stuck to the winning formula.

BTW I'm chasing one of those wooden Indians.
  10. 09 Oct '17 10:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    So you are berating a 24 year old episode? Where were you 24 years ago? It seems to lose a bit of punch calling him out a quarter century later. Seinfeld is approaching billionaire status so he is not likely going to cry if the entire show was pulled but it won't be since sponsors make too much money off it even in reruns.

Personally I never liked the show, thought it was the silliest production on TV.
    It took us 20 years of enlightenment through the efforts of the Dim party to show us just how unenlightened we all really were.

They are like a light shining on a dark hill those Dims when it comes to racial issues.

YouTube : musthaveindianaccent
  11. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    09 Oct '17 10:39
    Originally posted by @whodey
    It took us 20 years of enlightenment through the efforts of the Dim party to show us just how unenlightened we all really were.

They are like a light shining on a dark hill those Dims when it comes to racial issues.

[youtubemusthaveindianaccent]sM19YOqs7hU[/youtube]
    You don't do sarcasm very well.
  12. 09 Oct '17 11:56
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Maybe the Seinfeld actors should be boycotted and go find real work?
    None of them have the talent, least of all Jerry himself. At least the others are third-tier bit actors, Jerry only ever played himself. And failed at it, no less.

Only Friends was more boring.
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    09 Oct '17 13:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I liked the show, but I absolutely don't get the immense popularity of it. To me, it's just like any other sitcom, with characters getting into zany situations. Only when the show was about to end and talks of Superbowl ratings for its final episode came about, did I realize how religiously people watched it.

But, the fact that I can remember details of an episode I haven't seen since I was a kid probably speaks for itself.
  14. Standard member vivify
    rain
    09 Oct '17 14:00
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    None of them have the talent, least of all Jerry himself. At least the others are third-tier bit actors, Jerry only ever played himself. And failed at it, no less.

Only Friends was more boring.
    Except for Michael Richards, I pretty much agree. I'm dumbfounded as to how Julia-Louise Dryfus has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Can anyone name a movie she's been in without Googling it? I'm sure being married to an NBC executive may have played a part.
  15. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    09 Oct '17 14:37
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Except for Michael Richards, I pretty much agree. I'm dumbfounded as to how Julia-Louise Dryfus has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Can anyone name a movie she's been in without Googling it? I'm sure being married to an NBC executive may have played a part.
    She stars in Veep.

As for Seinfeld: the reason it’s so good is because the whole main cast play completely unlikable characters.

Narcissist, neurotic, hate-filled and jealous.

Brilliant.
    Can’t be compared to things like Friends, where basically everyone is lovable.