Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 18 Apr '10 01:18
    The Republican National Committee remains mired in the fallout from last week's revelations about its spending priorities including the now infamous bankrolling of a $2000 visit to a sexually themed nightclub in West Hollywood. The committee's chief of staff Ken McKay resigned on Monday, as part of RNC Chairman Michael Steel's bid to put the scandal behind him.

    But that strategy does not appear to be panning out. Today Sean Mahoney, a New Hampshire RNC committeeman, tendered his resignation, and issued a blistering statement about the committee's lavish recent spending. "Not only has the out of touch free spending culture of Washington come to dominate the US Congress, but I have watched with unease as the same mentality has seeped intoour national party", Mahoney announced. And Alex Castellanos, a longtime Steele ally who had been adivising the RNC in an unpaid capacity, also bowed out of his RNC duties, calling for Steele to resign.

    Castellanos stressed that he regards Steele as "a very decent man and a tremedously talented man", but added that "I think a change of direction now, at this point, would do the party good." For his part, Castellenos who had worked previously on the presidential campaigns of MItt Romney and John McCain said he was stepping aside because he had lost the "ability to be of service to the RNC."

    Steele has remained defiant in the face of growing criticism, saying earlier in the week that his detractors have been out to get him from day one and that he and President Obama are not afforded the same opportunities for missteps as whites because of their race. And other party leaders have closed ranks around. Former New York City Mayor Ruduolph Giuliani affirmed that "Michael Steele has us on a good track," citing the party's recent wins in Virginia and New Jersey gubernational races, as well as in the US Senate special election that netted a surprise victory for GOP Senator Scott Brown. And former House speaker Newt Gingrich offered a similar vote of confidence on the "Today Show", saying that "Michael Steele is capable of taking us through the midterm elections."

    So far, the fallout from the fundraising scandals does not seem to have hurt the RNC's overall bottom line, the committee reported that it raked in $11.4 million in March donations--$4 million above its totals for February. But the Democratic National Committee still claims an edge in the funding wars as momentum continues building toward the midterm election season. DNC spokesman Havi Sevugan says that his operation "will do at least $13 million for March- nearly $2 million more than the RNC." As the rhetoric continues to fly in Washington, there is little doubt that Republican insiders will closely monitor this battle of the bottom lines as they wieigh Steele's prospects.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100407/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1505_2/print

    So should Steele resign? In addition, is Steele accurate when he says that both he and President Obama are not afforded "missteps" as the average white folk?
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Apr '10 04:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    The Republican National Committee remains mired in the fallout from last week's revelations about its spending priorities including the now infamous bankrolling of a $2000 visit to a sexually themed nightclub in West Hollywood. The committee's chief of staff Ken McKay resigned on Monday, as part of RNC Chairman Michael Steel's bid to put the scandal behind ...[text shortened]... President Obama are not afforded "missteps" as the average white folk?
    Steele's doing fine. You don't change horses a few months before the midterms when you're poised to do so well.

    The race comment is kind of odd. Steele has not been subject to any more criticism than any political leaders are; especially as a moderate heading a party that is rules by staunch conservatives.

    Maybe he was having a bad hair day...

    Oh, wait, never mind....
  3. 18 Apr '10 04:23
    Originally posted by sh76
    [b]Steele's doing fine. You don't change horses a few months before the midterms when you're poised to do so well.
    But it seems to me that we change parties in power every other year. Why? Is it not because of both parties refusal to not do business as usual in Washington? I say that Steele had NOTHING to do with the success of the Republican party of late. In fact, it happened in spite of the man. The success of the Republican party of late has everything to do with the disgust the American public has with the Democratic party. In fact, I say giving him the boot would help invigorate the Republican party.
  4. 18 Apr '10 04:27
    Originally posted by sh76

    The race comment is kind of odd. Steele has not been subject to any more criticism than any political leaders are; especially as a moderate heading a party that is rules by staunch conservatives.

    Maybe he was having a bad hair day...

    Oh, wait, never mind....[/b]
    It is very odd and is indicative of his desperation. He knows he should be removed so he throws out the race card. In fact, he even compares himself with Obama. Why? He makes it sound as though Obama has been unfairly treated, presumably by his own party. Its a high tech lynching I tell ya!!
  5. 18 Apr '10 10:51
    I hope he stays, he's good Daily Show material.
  6. 18 Apr '10 13:46
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I hope he stays, he's good Daily Show material.
    He's the next best thing to Sarah Palin.
  7. 19 Apr '10 01:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I hope he stays, he's good Daily Show material.
    So do you think that Michael Steele and President Obama have gotten the short end of the stick simply because of their race? It seems rather odd to me that the most powerful man in the RNC and the most powerful man in the world have gotten the short end of the stick. In fact, Obama played the race card with Hilary if I recall. I just wonder when someone will have the courage to absolutely pounce on these "race card low lifes" and put them in their place.
  8. 19 Apr '10 02:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    The Republican National Committee remains mired in the fallout from last week's revelations about its spending priorities including the now infamous bankrolling of a $2000 visit to a sexually themed nightclub in West Hollywood. The committee's chief of staff Ken McKay resigned on Monday, as part of RNC Chairman Michael Steel's bid to put the scandal behind ...[text shortened]... President Obama are not afforded "missteps" as the average white folk?
    Cruz Bustamente said the N-word in front of a crowd of black trade unionists, and it didn't get him kicked out of anything. his campaign also paid the largest fine for violation of the political reform act, up to that point. (his wikipedia page has been scrubbed of these events, however.)

    did Steele actually do this deed? was he involved in any way?
  9. 19 Apr '10 02:46
    Originally posted by sh76
    Steele's doing fine. You don't change horses a few months before the midterms when you're poised to do so well.

    The race comment is kind of odd. Steele has not been subject to any more criticism than any political leaders are; especially as a moderate heading a party that is rules by staunch conservatives.

    Maybe he was having a bad hair day...

    Oh, wait, never mind....
    why should the RNC care if Democrats want to throw their chairman out?

    i don't see Nancy "swastika" Pelosi going anywhere.
  10. 19 Apr '10 03:01
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    Cruz Bustamente said the N-word in front of a crowd of black trade unionists, and it didn't get him kicked out of anything. his campaign also paid the largest fine for violation of the political reform act, up to that point. (his wikipedia page has been scrubbed of these events, however.)

    did Steele actually do this deed? was he involved in any way?
    All I can tell you is that people all around Steele are resigning and are calling for him to resign. Then Steele pulls out the race card in the name of self preservation. Not a good sign all around.
  11. 19 Apr '10 03:03
    i thought Steele pulled the race card early on. Obama pulls it, too. people aren't calling for him to resign because of it.

    look at Clinton. he dropped trou in front of an innocent woman, and it wasn't enough to get him impeached!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Jones#Paula_Jones.27_declaration
  12. 19 Apr '10 03:04
    the media as a whole is biased against Republicans. the Republicans should be aware of that and not fold in every light breeze.

    is James Carville calling for Steele to resign?
  13. 19 Apr '10 03:10
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    i thought Steele pulled the race card early on. Obama pulls it, too. people aren't calling for him to resign because of it.

    look at Clinton. he dropped trou in front of an innocent woman, and it wasn't enough to get him impeached!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Jones#Paula_Jones.27_declaration
    True.
  14. 19 Apr '10 03:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    the media as a whole is biased against Republicans. the Republicans should be aware of that and not fold in every light breeze.

    is James Carville calling for Steele to resign?
    To be honest, I could care less what the Dems are doing. We all know what they are about. What I am more concerned with is the alternative to the Dems. Its time to clean house. That way perhaps they can avoid a third party.

    Do you find it strange that no one from the Dems is calling for Steele to resign. The silence is deafening.
  15. 19 Apr '10 08:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    So do you think that Michael Steele and President Obama have gotten the short end of the stick simply because of their race? It seems rather odd to me that the most powerful man in the RNC and the most powerful man in the world have gotten the short end of the stick. In fact, Obama played the race card with Hilary if I recall. I just wonder when someone wi ...[text shortened]... e the courage to absolutely pounce on these "race card low lifes" and put them in their place.
    No, I don't think so. I think that racism in the US is fairly marginalized especially compared to other industrialized nations, otherwise Obama would have never been elected. From the Daily Show snippets Michael Steele comes across as rather dim-witted, but perhaps he just has poor communication skills.