Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 17:391 edit
    Then at least Trump would have somebody to talk to.

Seriously, though their economy's GDP is smaller than all of the nations in the group including Canada, which has one-quarter its population. As Paul Krugman points out, Spain's GDP is about the same as Russia's.

So does it rate as a "major industrialized country" warranting G-7 admission? Or are there other policy reasons to include Russia in an organization meant to facilitate macroeconomic coordination between advanced economies?

Discuss.
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 17:441 edit
    Originally posted by @no1marauder

Seriously, though their economy's GDP is smaller than all of the nations in the group including Canada, which has one-quarter its population. As Paul Krugman points out, Spain's GDP is about the same as Russia's.

So does it rate as a "major industrialized country" warranting G-7 admission? Or are ...[text shortened]... anization meant to facilitate macroeconomic coordination between advanced economies?

Discuss.
    We should do the opposite of whatever Krugman thinks we should do.

Seriously though, what could it hurt? Trump doesn't seem to want to get hung up being unable to work with/negotiate with countries just because their leaders are despicable tyrants. It seems like a practical approach.
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 17:52
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    We should do the opposite of whatever Krugman thinks we should do.

Seriously though, what could it hurt? Trump doesn't seem to want to get hung up being unable to work with/negotiate with countries just because their leaders are despicable tyrants. It seems like a practical approach.
    I was reluctant to mention Krugman since he's so blatantly partisan but I read the stat in his article so I felt like I should give credit.

I admit I'm undecided on the issue though it seems highly unlikely the group will decide to do so.
  4. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 18:03

So does it rate as a "major industrialized country" warranting G-7 admission? Or are ...[text shortened]... anization meant to facilitate macroeconomic coordination between advanced economies?

Discuss.
    You mean G6, don't you ? 😀
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 18:062 edits
    I admit I'm undecided on the issue though it seems highly unlikely the group will decide to do so.
    I don't have a quote handy but I remember Trump's argument included the phrase "We have a world to run.", which struck me as ironic because Obama would have been skewered as a globalist and elitist for uttering those words.
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 18:12
    I don't have a quote handy but I remember Trump's argument included the phrase "We have a world to run.", which struck me as ironic because Obama would have been skewered as a globalist and elitist for uttering those words.
    Well, I don't want to stumble down the hyper-partisan path, but it's not hard to imagine what would have been the response of many if Obama had decided on a summit with Kim with no preconditions.
  7. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 18:20
    Well, I don't want to stumble down the hyper-partisan path, but it's not hard to imagine what would have been the response of many if Obama had decided on a summit with Kim with no preconditions.
    Yep.

Well after thinking about this for 2 minutes it's hard to argue against Trump's position on this which is straightforward and practical. We have a world to run, Russia is a world player even if their economy isn't large, and we're better off having them at the table than not.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 18:33

Discuss.
    MILITARY

If it were not for that they could be treated like Spain
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 18:33
    Yep.

Well after thinking about this for 2 minutes it's hard to argue against Trump's position on this which is straightforward and practical. We have a world to run, Russia is a world player even if their economy isn't large, and we're better off having them at the table than not.
    Sensible enough I suppose; kicking them out didn't get them to give the Crimea back.

Maybe Trump should have made the proposal at the summit rather than before he got there.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 18:45
    Did you mean this quote?

"Crimea was TAKEN by Russia during the Obama Administration. Was Obama too soft on Russia?" - Donald J. Trump, 2017

Just as a reminder, Russia was kicked out of the G8 after annexing the Crimea. Re-admitting them would send the signal that the international community now accepts the Russian annexation of the Crimea.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 18:49
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Did you mean this quote?

"Crimea was TAKEN by Russia during the Obama Administration. Was Obama too soft on Russia?" - Donald J. Trump, 2017

Just as a reminder, Russia was kicked out of the G8 after annexing the Crimea. Re-admitting them would send the signal that the international community now accepts the Russian annexation of the Crimea.
    Is there any likelihood that Russia is going to give it back?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 19:011 edit
    Sure, just as soon as the US gets out of Afghanistan.

LMAO! 😵
  13. Germany
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 19:05
    Not on the short term, and incidentally it's just as likely that Russia gets re-admitted into the G8 on that term. In any case, if American democracy survives Trump, there'll be a less Russia-friendly administration soon.
  14. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 19:36
    Re-admitting them would send the signal that the international community now accepts the Russian annexation of the Crimea.
    Guess what. The international community now accepts the Russian annexation of the Crimea.
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 19:36
    Did you mean this quote?

IYO was the Russian annexation of the Crimea more egregious than the US and other Western powers military attacks on Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya?